MBR mag Ride Guide 2010 - Godalming 25 mile route ....

BigAirNig
BigAirNig Posts: 296
edited May 2010 in Routes
Did this route today and have to say I was rather disappointed.....

Firstly - the quality of directions from the magazine page were poor - not nearly detailed enough for someone doing the ride for the first time. Didn't mention many junctions that you come across and how confusing some parts were as a result.

I ended up getting lost a few times and not being able to find certain parts of the route.
Thank god for iphone and Google maps - otherwise I'd probably still be stuck out there somewhere!!

Marked as a medium ride - but other than the distance, there was very little technical stuff to worry about. Sandy crap was hard to pedal on and steer through though.

Getting lost and backtracking, stopping and head-scratching for where to go, plus taking a road route for the final stage as I couldn't find the trail mentioned meant this turned in to a 32.5 mile / 5 hour job - which was not really as planned - but hey ho ..... good for my fitness if nothing else!

Wouldn't recommend it though. Not the worlds most interesting ride - sorry!
Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)

Comments

• From my experience of MBR routes they always seem to do them the wrong way round and you end up doing all the best descents as climbs.

As for getting lost you shouldnt really head out without a proper map I doubt the iphone gps receiver is suited to hills,valleys,low cloud etc. Also google maps mainly shows contours and major features it doesnt provide adequate info to safely navigate.

I only ever use the MBR routes as a guide then mark them up on my OS map and make a track for my Garmin 60csx using memory map. Good to hear people getting out and exploring but best to go well prepared rather than end up cold,lost and tired hunting for phone single to ring mounatin rescue. Sorry if it sounds like a moan but I wouldnt want someone to get lost/hurt/dead if it can be avoided.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Bigairnig ... you could join our group ride this Sunday 9.05.10(start8.30-9.00) in Surrey Hills if you fancy. We will cover all 4hills with all most known trails. For more info check London Calling thread at MTB Rides. If you fancy some more fitness challenge we might have something* to offer, otherwise it would be a social ride.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    I'll have to have a look at the mag to see the route as I live near Godalming, so I'd be interested to see where they sent you. Must say that the best bits are often omitted from route guides as they have to keep them 'legal'!
  • BigAirNig
    Cheers all ......

I am considering getting a GPS - but not sure how they work with regard to loading routes etc - do they then turn in to sat nav for MTB, effectively !??!?!?!

popstar - I would love to join you - but am away this weekend, so maybe another time. I've only just discovered the Surrey HIlls last week, so went out with the guys from Nirvana Cycles on the Wednesday, then with a mate this Monday and by myself on Wednesday, so today decided to try a new route elsewhere - shame it wasn't as hoped !!

If you wanna keep me posted on when you go out, they that would be great !

nigelhorwood@yahoo.com

I have just confirmed with a mate to go to the Peak District at the end of the month for the weekend, to get some rides in there ...... used to go a lot, as my mate live up there, but this will be the first trip in a while ! Can't wait ....
  • BigAirNig
    Cheers all ......

I am considering getting a GPS - but not sure how they work with regard to loading routes etc - do they then turn in to sat nav for MTB, effectively !??!?!?!

popstar - I would love to join you - but am away this weekend, so maybe another time. I've only just discovered the Surrey HIlls last week, so went out with the guys from Nirvana Cycles on the Wednesday, then with a mate this Monday and by myself on Wednesday, so today decided to try a new route elsewhere - shame it wasn't as hoped !!

If you wanna keep me posted on when you go out, they that would be great !

nigelhorwood@yahoo.com

I have just confirmed with a mate to go to the Peak District at the end of the month for the weekend, to get some rides in there ...... used to go a lot, as my mate live up there, but this will be the first trip in a while ! Can't wait ....
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    I am sure you will have awesome time on your trip! Hopefully we will organise some trips away too. Otherwise stuck on rides around London areas, kind of.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though