MTB Photography

Ross_Davidson
Ross_Davidson Posts: 143
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Hi , im currently studying Media Studies in Sixth Form in North Wales and hoping to progress further in my career in Photography. My dream job would be a Mountain Bike photgrapher but i have no idea where to start! :shock: Just wondering could anyone from past experience or who is currently a Mountain Bike photographer point me in the right direction of hopefulling becoming one :D

Thanks Ross
Specialized Stumpjumper Pro M5 2010 ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/77613366@N ... /lightbox/ )

Comments

• 1) get a good camera
    2) go take photo's at races
    3) attempt to sell said photo's to riders.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i'm not a photographer but i know this much:
    1.look for inspiration. pinkbike photos is a good place to start and so are mtb magazines
    2.take photos at races, events, where you ride etc.
    3.be creative
    4.show your portofolio to mtb magazines, websites etc.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Practice, practice, practice. Upload stuff to pinkbike and various Flickr pools, taking the advice you get from there.

Have a good back up plan. There's a lot of competition (because the field is so small).
  • I'm a photographer by profession and an mtb'er by hobby. Personally I'd NEVER mix the two.

I'd totally disagree with bigbenj - first be a good business person: run a dry cleaners / insurance sales / plumbers for a few years. If you're good at that you're off to a good start. The very last thing you should do is spend on a "good" camera. Take great photos on a crap camera and SELL them - thats the start.

Realise that you're in a shrinking market (more competition, less demand).

Have enough cash behind you to outlast a few tough years.

Get a good accountant.

Register for VAT (you can reclaim some of your expenses).

Have a Unique Selling Point.

Get some training for your target market.

Spend 3x more on marketing than on cameras / gear.

Have a backup plan.

Be lucky!
  • The very last thing you should do is spend on a "good" camera. Take great photos on a crap camera and SELL them - thats the start

Spend 3x more on marketing than on cameras / gear.

Totally agree.
    "it rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again"