10k run times (OT I know)

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited July 2010 in Health, fitness & training
i'm going to enter a 10k run. what sort of time is respectable? i was aiming for around the hour mark or is this really slow? thanks :D

Comments

• woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    nothing wrong with 1hr, i've done loads of 10k runs, mostly off-road but some finish in half hour while others take 2 hrs. I'm just under 45 mins for road runs and around 1min/;mile slower off-road but sometimes a bit more if a hill/muddy route.

Good luck and enjoy it any way.
  • welshkev
    cool, i've only just started running again to boost my fitness on the bike and i needed something to work towards. glad to hear that an hour isn't too embarrassing :lol:
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    the 'speed' benchmark for 10ks is sub 40mins
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • XCMark
    XCMark Posts: 55
    Just get out there and do it! as long as you are enjoying yourself it's all good.
  • tubaonwheels
    tubaonwheels Posts: 448
    I did a sub 33mins when I was in my prime, would be quite happy with sub 53mins these days :?
    But then againI'm happy to be riding my mtb which is far easier on my old bones :wink:
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    Holy shit sub 33.00 :o was that track or road
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    my best on treadmill is 52mins.

i'd be happy with a 55 outdoors.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    It doesn't matter how fast anyone else is running it (as long as you're not way off the back :D ).

Get yourself a PB then you've got something to beat next time.

Personally I'd be aiming at 55mins or so. On me last 1/2 marathon I got to 10K in about an hour.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Did my first 10k a couple of months back.I did a 42min,(on the flat)which I was quite happy with,given that I turned 40 last year.

I`d have been happy with anything sub 50 mins.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Have you thought instead about a 1/2?

I've never run a 10K race but am rather addicted to two 1/2 marathons a year atm.

A 1/2 requires a training plan and commitment to get out of the door twice a week for a couple of months. Once you've done the training you'll be fired up for the race and its a real achievement to finish.

Whereas ... a 10K is doable by anyone who can put on running shoes and do a 4 mile loop. There's less incentive to get out and do the training.

Apologies to 10k runners out there! Just my 2p worth.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I do the occasional run and usually do off road 10K in around 50mins. I think that's a reasonable time for anyone who's not a regular runner.

For me the distance is perfect. I dont particularly like running and get bored, the distance is short enough to keep me interested and I get a reasonable length workout.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I "used" to be able to do a 48min 10k run in Short Course Triathlons.

So, for a normal 10k run, it would be around 40 - 42 mins.

My Best 1.5 mile run was 9mins, on a hilly course in Bridgend..

But this was 20yrs and 1.5 stone ago!

Hope you enjoy it, Boyo!!!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Blimey :shock:

I'm running in the BUPA Great South Run in November (10 miles) and I am dreading what time i'll get!

I am starting to ramp up my fitness, but I need to get more running time in. I am also raising money for Cancer Research UK so I want to put in a good performance (and hopefully beat my sister in law who I have also roped into it!)!

Must actually start running soon as opposed to going MTBing instead.... :oops:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • welshkev
    Cheers for the support guys. I don't fancy a half marathon, I work such odd hours that I don't think I could honestly keep up a training schedule. 10k will be a test for me :-) under an hour it is then. I'll leave the 33 mins for another day :-)
  • tubaonwheels
    Holy shoot sub 33.00 :o was that track or road
    It was road, 32.50 on a flat course.Never did 10k track. I tended to do 800 and 1500 metres on the track.

As I say it's years ago now, and I did train hard to get to that level. I would be much closer to the OP's level if I attempted one nowadays!
  • omaha
    omaha Posts: 120
    welshkev wrote:
    Cheers for the support guys. I don't fancy a half marathon, I work such odd hours that I don't think I could honestly keep up a training schedule. 10k will be a test for me :-) under an hour it is then. I'll leave the 33 mins for another day :-)

The mrs is the marathon runner and with a wee boy running around the house we both don't have time to train for marathons so i do the 5K and 10K's, times around 22mins for 5K and 50mins for 10K it great way to keep fitness over the winter then back out on the trails in summer! :D
    a bike with round rubbery things
    another bike with springy bits on it
    another bike with too few gears
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    Did my first 10k yesterday!

Made so many mistakes, 3 1/2 hr hard bike ride the day before (didn't found out I had got late entry till after the ride), drank a couple of bottles of wine with the wife the night before!

In the race I started too far back, kept getting blocked (1,500 runners) & kept getting sucked into others pace.

Managed a 48 mins & some blisters :lol: But after reading this, I need to do some more work!
  • welshkev
    training's going good for the 10k. i've noticed the difference on the bike aswell, i'm climbing loads better :D been quite easily managing 4 mile runs so i'll get some decent times down and should be good :D
  • i done a few races recently and my times are following

3mile training runs between 21:20-22:30 mins

5 miler i did in welyn garden(bad spell lol) 38:mins

10k harlow ect was 48mins(though recon i could get faster

1.5mile time i last did was 9 mins but tbh 1.5 is more a sprint at times, though feels horrendous though :shock:
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    My best 10k time is 58mins, which isn't bad for an ex-24 stone behemoth!!!
  • I did a sub 33mins when I was in my prime, would be quite happy with sub 53mins these days :?
    But then againI'm happy to be riding my mtb which is far easier on my old bones :wink:

what running Elite club you run for? team GB ?

that a pretty amazing time did you go for england trials then at 5:30 per mile time?
  • tubaonwheels
    Back in the eighties (yes, I'm an old git) those times were pretty average. I ran in the Northern league for Wakefield Harriers and was very much a 'B' runner, the good guys were running closer to 30 mins.
    Standards at 'local' level are a lot lower these days, probably dut to the huge choice of sports available these days (like mtb'ing :wink: )

As for England trials - Paula Radcliffe ran (a lot) faster than 5.30 miles when running the marathon, so I think not :)
  • that time still pretty mental mate:) i belive the olympic times are 28mins to qualify for the 2008 if i remember correctly, so close :P

what type of training you do to get that sort of time be interest to see what sort of distances ect you ran.
  • tubaonwheels
    I raced 800 and 1500 metres on the track, so did a lot of track work training.
    Typical sessions 10 x 400 in 70 secs with 30 secs recovery
    or 10 x 200 in 30 secs
    Parlaaf sessions where you run in pairs, each runner stands at opposite sides of track half way down straight, first runner runs 200 flat out to hand over to second runner and while he runs 200 you have to jog back across track in time to take over for next 200 and so on (not as complicated as it sounds but hard work).
    These sessions build up your speed endurance.

Road sessions would be - a hard club run on Tuesdays, usually 10 miles ish (not hanging about. Maybe a hill session on a thurs - 10 - 15 reps on a 150 metre climb with a jog down recovery in between.

Always a long run on Sundays anything fro 15 - 20 odd miles, very steady.
    I used to average 60 - 70 miles a week through the winter. bit less in summer but more quality.
    Running with a club is the key, I started knocking minutes off my best times soon after starting training regularly with fitter mates.
  • Anything under an hour is good going for your first 10k. My PB is currently 37.45 but I train pretty much every day.
  • In my prime I ran 32 for 10k ( road and track ) with a sub 2:30 marathon - but I was very fit !! Now I aim for sub-40 10k's ( I'm 48 now and a bit past my running prime - lol ). The trick is in the pacing - aim to start conservatively as it always feels easier at the start of a race when you're surrounded by lots of other runners, then you can pick off the guys and girls that started off way too fast - a great confidence boost for you - a real bummer for them :)
  • In my prime I ran 32 for 10k ( road and track ) with a sub 2:30 marathon - but I was very fit !! Now I aim for sub-40 10k's ( I'm 48 now and a bit past my running prime - lol ). The trick is in the pacing - aim to start conservatively as it always feels easier at the start of a race when you're surrounded by lots of other runners, then you can pick off the guys and girls that started off way too fast - a great confidence boost for you - a real bummer for them :)

This is so true. I see this kind of thing happen at races all the time.