Chain Question

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys

Just fitted a SRAM 971 to my zesty post the old shimano chain snapping on me. Was less than a year old and within the 1% tolerance levels last check....so wouldn't expect cassette wear etc.

However, the new chain seems to be jumping when on the smallest cogs on the rear/smallest on the front.

Not a gear I will be in a lot, but annoying nonetheless. Can't seen to find any sticky links? Thoughts?

Also - chain is very loose and baggy when in this gear to the point where almost draped on the chainstay. Is this normal? Or should links be removed?

Thanks...and sorry for the very obvious questions!

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Read this: http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7#16142047

It's essentially the same issue.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Mccraque
    Hi and thanks for the reply

It's not quite the same in that mines not seizing or anything....it just skips on the smallest cog.

And just wondering if links need to be taken out of a new 9speed chain when coupled with the corresponding cassette?
  • bails87
    What I meant was that it might be down to a bad chain line and using gear combos that you shouldn't be using, so in that sense it's the same.

Although, the chain being 1% worn may have damaged the cassette.

To check you have the right chain length, thread it through the front mech, round the big chain ring, and round the biggest cog on the cassette. Then add 2 links to that length.
    MTB/CX

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you did make sure the chain was the correct length?

or did you fit it as it came?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mccraque
    It's within the 1% so wouldnt think is cassette.
    bails87 wrote:
    What I meant was that it might be down to a bad chain line and using gear combos that you shouldn't be using, so in that sense it's the same.

Although, the chain being 1% worn may have damaged the cassette.

To check you have the right chain length, thread it through the front mech, round the big chain ring, and round the biggest cog on the cassette. Then add 2 links to that length.

Not sure I am with you re length? Add two links to what? A chain that's tensioned?
  • Mccraque
    nicklouse wrote:

Chap from Halfords put it on as it came.....he did not fill me with confidence once bit. In fact...did not seem to know what a powerlink was.
  • nicklouse
    Mccraque wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Chap from Halfords put it on as it came.....he did not fill me with confidence once bit. In fact...did not seem to know what a powerlink was.

in that case it does sound like the chain need shortening.

info on Parktools and sheldons sites. (park seems to be down for me).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • bails87
    edited May 2010
    Sorry, so if you've got a powerlink, use that to 'split' the chain. If not, use a chain tool.

Then run the chain around the big chainring, through the front mech (obviously set to the big ring) and then around the biggest cog on the cassette.

One end of the chain should now have 'met' with the other end and they should be overlapping. The ends of chain should overlap by 2 links. Any more than that and the chain is too long.

Nick: Park was working for me a second ago.
    MTB/CX

• nicklouse
  • Mccraque
    great...thanks Guys..will follow that advice tonight.

Although will be late home due to my 4 mile walk this morning.....bloody chain tool SNAPPED on me too.
  • Mccraque
    Ok...

I shortened the chain by a link and refitted. Seems ok as there are no stiff links and no problems in any of the gears...

except 1. (well...3) - but always the same cog - the 2nd smallest ring on the rear cassette.

When I put the power down (no matter which ring i am in on the front), it skips in that one cog on the back.

No visible signs of damage so am unsure why this is happening. Could I have damaged it when the chain snapped this morning?