Do you gamble?

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited May 2010 in Pro race
Does anyone gamble at all on pro racing?

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I gamble on anything. I'm Irish.

Best punt was 20 lids on Evans at 20s to win the world championship.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • BikeMissle
    BikeMissle Posts: 36
    I would, but since I am in the US I haven't found any good sources. The website I use for domestic sports doesn't have any cycling. :(
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    I was intending to put bets on Wiggins coming top 10 and Cav to wins on the Champs Elysees last year.

Never got round to it though :cry:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Bernardus
    Bernardus Posts: 136
    Yes, but very little compared to more predictable sports like football, tennis and speed skating. I've also got some favorite riders, which makes betting more difficult.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    I'm having a flutter on Sastre in line with my PTP, but only a £5. I'm not a gambler really, just the odd major event.
    I will bet on the Tour, Vuelta and World Cup this year almost certainly, but mainly to add a bit on interest as I'm not reknown for my picking of winners, as the PTP shows :lol:
    In saying that I wanted to bet on Cancellara for the Flanders and Roubaix in line with my PTP picks, but got lazy on both and missed out which was a gutter.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Just for fun. It's nice when, for example Garzelli steals bonus second or two to win you £30 but you'll never make a living.

Unlike in more predictable sports there are too many factors for any sort of system. Including riders gifting stages, deliberately losing GC time for a stage win etc.

Nonetheless have come out evens on the season so far, so free fun!

Strava is not Zen.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Yeah, same for me, just a couple of quid on all the big events. I usually do a bet for the GC on grand tours and most of the Spring classics.

Best ever result was Devolder at 60/1 for his first Flanders win. Only a £2 stake though :cry:
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    i only gamble with my life :lol:
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I do. Skybet seems to cover cycling races more now these days. Can't imagine why?
  • Me too, just put a tenner on Christian Vandevelde for the giro (70-1) each way plus a fiver on Vino and Pozzovivo each way. And less good odds on Sastre and Basso for the win. I actually want Evans to win though, but think the curse of the rainbow jersey is bound to kick in at some point. You get a lot of free bets if you sign up to these online betting companies.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Never. Not even the lottery (the late, great Linda Smith summed up the National Lottery with her comment "Like opera do you?" ) When I buy raffle tickets I just think of it as a donation.

Although, I'm quite hooked on PTP now (thankyou afx) and I do have to point out that I have most other vices, and enjoy them all.

Never tried adultery either, come to think of it.

(must not mention Cav, must not mention Cav, must not mention Cav, must not mention Cav.......)
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Yeah I use Betfair. Football, Rugby Union, F1, Cricket and Cycling.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Yes, but cycling odds are always very long and it's hard.

But you can make money betting on race finishes as the riders approach the finish, if you can be sure the broadcaster doesn't have much a delay, when Cav hits the front with 250m to go you can drop some cash on him and collect your winnings within seconds.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I find that when my "horse" slips off the back of the bunch with barely a whimper 30km from the finish, it ruins my enjoyment of the rest of the stage as I think what else I could've done with that tenner (like buy more beer to watch the cycling with!).

That and i'll never outdo my brother who got p!ssed at the Manchester Utd Vs. AC Milan game and dropped a fiver on Utd to win 4-1 and Rooney to score first. £900 he picked up on that.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    I don't gamble ever but maybe PTP could become 'interesting' - say a tenner each to enter for the year and the winner cops the lot...
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Sounds good. I'm happy to collect all the money and have it "rest" in my account til the end of the season...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    WELL I'M NOW BETTING ON THE GIRO.

I'M SO EASILY LEAD :wink:
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799