First Time Bike Assembly Help

daftpunk
daftpunk Posts: 14
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok, so i've just received delivery of my new giant xtc 4 :D

I had to attach the handlebars, seatpost, front wheel and pedals. Although i've never done this before and the instructions weren't very clear, i think i've done it. However, it states i should use a pedal spanner which i dont have, would any normal spanner work just as well? Also, i have been left with 2 random parts and i've no idea what they are, where they should go and if i should of attached them somewhere or not. Can anyone identify the below parts and if i need to attach them?

p1000781e.jpg

p1000782r.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help! :)
Awaiting my first MTB... Giant XTC 4 2009

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a pedal spanner is just a long 15mm spanner so it is easy to get the right force.

a bell and a reducer if needed to make bell fit to bars or....

if sold by a shop it should be fitted. but as you are building the bike it is up to you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • daftpunk
    Oh right lol, didn't realise it was a bell, it doesn't have any part to actually hit it to make the ring sound :oops:

Also, there is a plastic bag with a big syringe in it, some tubes and some small little screws and bolt things. I am presuming this is something for the hydraulic brakes but not sure if i should be doing something with them?

Also, as a seperate issue. I bought a bigfoot propstand but it has come with no instructions and i'm not sure where exactly to attach it to the bike.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Pedal spanners also tend to be slimmer so will fit between pedal and crank, not all normal spanners will fit. Sounds like the syringe and pipes are for bleeding brakes.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You flick the sticky out bit so it pings back to ring the bell, most common type of bell as its the cheapest, a shopsold complete bike has to come with a bell, but very few people keep them!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • daftpunk
    I have two more (undoubtedly stupid) questions :oops:

To go along with my new giant xtc 4, i decided to buy some bar ends. I though i'd stick to the giand brand and bought these bar ends, however the circular part seems very small and i cant see how these would fit over the handlebars as there is not give in them. I have since looked about online and i cant see that its possible to select and specific size for bar ends, are they all the same size? Am i trying to attach them wrong?

Also, i bought a Topeak Mini Master Blaster pump which appears to have the ability to connect to 2 different valve types, however i cant see any attachment for this. Does it just automatically connect to the 2 different valve types without any extra attachment?

Thanks for any help :oops:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    edited May 2010
    might need the internal swapping around on the pump head.

ends should just slot over the bar after you have shifted everything else inboard.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    You will need to move your controls and grips inwards to fit the bar ends, you can't fit them over your grips. The pump head will need to be unscrewed and the internal bit flipped over to do the other valve (depending on which valve its been set up for).
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Pffft, beaten to it.
  • daftpunk
    Thanks for that fella's :)

I've managed to figure out the pump thing, the instructions on the back of the box were just pictures with no words, but figured out how to pull the internal valve thing out. I did try that first but it was in really tight so wanted to double check before i might of broke it!