Back brake constantly on rim

Oxygen Thief
Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Recently bought a bike and the back brake constantly touches the rim on one side. They are Taktra V-brakes. I've tried loosening the cabling but this doesn't work as it simply makes the pad that's not touching the wheel go further away. I need to somehow have the other brake pad arm further away from the wheel but I can't see any way to do it?

Cheers

Comments

• *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    edited May 2010
    There will be a small grub screw at the bottom of the V brake arm. Probably a small allen key, wind this in to put more pressure into the spring.

vbrake-springadjuster.jpg

If this doesnt work, un-hook the spring from the problem arm on the back of the arm and bend it out a bit.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Sorted mate. At work at the min but will try that before I set off for home. Cheers!!
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    It may also be worth checking which hole the spring is mounted in on the frame boss...

There is 3 holes and each one will add or remove tension. you need to remove the v brake arm to change this, but if its set at the bottom hole this could be the issue.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The video here should help too:

http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-v-brakes/
  • Oxygen Thief
    Okey dokey pal. Info is much appreciated. Too much effort being put into my peddling to work today so have to get it sorted! Downhill on way home so not so bad. Wouldn't mind picking up a decetn bit of speed mind :)
  • Oxygen Thief
    Cheers for that both. Adjusted it tonight. free wheeling nicely now :-) Couldn't get it as spot on as in that vid with the arm pointing directly upwards but they're working well and not rubbing, that's the main thing I think.

Cheers