chain rubbing front derailleur!

rchip
rchip Posts: 102
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey, my bike was running fine untill the other day :( hah it was finally totally noise free! I decided to degrease my chain and apply my squirt dry lube to my chain. For some bizzare reason when I put the back wheel back on, when I'm on the biggest chain ring, the chain now rubs slightly on the front derailleur! It gets worse I as I shift into higher gears, for example it's at its worst in gear combo 3-9.

This bike isn't very old, probably been riding it for a month now, its a 2009 kona kula. Is it likely that maybe I've stretched a cable or something when turning the bike upside down!? Any ideas? Bah! Heh thank you :D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds like it needs tuning, ie cable tension.

See Park Tools for a guide.
  • rchip
    rchip Posts: 102
    Ah okay cool thanks for replying, I've just been on this page http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75 ... `If chain is rubbing cage, turn barrel adjuster clockwise, or inward toward shifter body. ` ... does that sound about right!?
  • fredy
    fredy Posts: 308
    I'm having the same problem but it only rubs in the second chainring, on the highest 3 gears of the rear. i.e. 2-7/8/9.
    I have adjusted H and L screws but to no avail. no surprise really as it only effects the middle chain ring.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Front mechs are a bitch to adjust.
    Check out Sheldon Browns website, fiddle, have a cup of tea, fiddle some more.
    The high and low screws are only for adjusting the range, same as at the back. If it's only the middle possibly needs a little bit of cable adjustment. Try quarter turns at a time and see.
    It sounds like it's rubbing a bit on the outside of the cage, so tighten the barrel adjuster a bit (anticlockwise)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    double post. Auto censor? - good thing this is not a dog forum, I just called it a female one.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    rchip wrote:
    Ah okay cool thanks for replying, I've just been on this page http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75 ... `If chain is rubbing cage, turn barrel adjuster clockwise, or inward toward shifter body. ` ... does that sound about right!?[/quote

Clockwise will loosen the cable and let the cage fall toward the smaller chainrings, anti will tighten it and move it toward the larger one. Unless I'm tired and it's the other way round.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools