Regents Park

ives.
ives. Posts: 62
Hi,

Does anyone here use regents park for their training?
A cycling friend of mine said it was a good place to train in london.
Is it a good place do you reckon?

thanks
ives.

Comments

• edeverett
    edeverett Posts: 224
    If you need somewhere in central london, it's fine. It's shortish, flattish loop with not many junctions or traffic lights and relatively light traffic (for london). When I used to work in Old Street I'd occasionally go home via Regents Park and put a few laps.

If you can get out of central London there are many more inspiring places to ride though.
  • ives.
    thanks for that.
    I work in the city and was thinking that maybe I could do a few laps after work.It sounds ok for a bit of extra miles. I guess the only other place in London is Richmond Park.

cheers
    Ives.
  • edeverett
    edeverett Posts: 224
    Yeah, if you work in the city, then it's probably the best place for adding some miles to your commute.

Richmond Park is far far nicer, but there's a lot of London between it and the City.
  • doughty2002
    doughty2002 Posts: 17
    There's a chaingang there on Thursday evening between 6-9pm (it goes anti-clockwise around the outer circle) I've not got there yet but I know a couple of the guys who do- additonal oxygen supplies will be a definite help!!
  • ives.
    There's a chaingang there on Thursday evening between 6-9pm (it goes anti-clockwise around the outer circle) I've not got there yet but I know a couple of the guys who do- additonal oxygen supplies will be a definite help!!

that sounds like quite a challenge.
    Has anybody here been on it? Where do they meet exactly?

Cheers
    Ives
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Ives, I train absolutely loads in the park - mainly because it's half a mile from home and means I can get a decent amount done before work without negotiating endless traffic lights to get to lanes out of town. The Outer Circle is 2.75 miles long with two sets of lights at junctions and two sets that are pedestrian-controlled. There is a slight drag on one side but it's mainly flat. If you want to chuck in some variation then head off towards Primrose Hill and there's a short, sharp climb there which will lead you back into the Park via Elsworthy Road and Avenue Road, or you can chuck in the longer climb up to Hampstead station via Rosslyn Hill and then descend back via Fitzjohns Avenue and then Avenue Road.
    I tend to be there mornings from half nine, so if you see me on a black Giant say hello.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • ives.
    phil s wrote:
    Ives, I train absolutely loads in the park - mainly because it's half a mile from home and means I can get a decent amount done before work without negotiating endless traffic lights to get to lanes out of town. The Outer Circle is 2.75 miles long with two sets of lights at junctions and two sets that are pedestrian-controlled. There is a slight drag on one side but it's mainly flat. If you want to chuck in some variation then head off towards Primrose Hill and there's a short, sharp climb there which will lead you back into the Park via Elsworthy Road and Avenue Road, or you can chuck in the longer climb up to Hampstead station via Rosslyn Hill and then descend back via Fitzjohns Avenue and then Avenue Road.
    I tend to be there mornings from half nine, so if you see me on a black Giant say hello.

thanks for that Phil.....I start work early ish and I have an aversion to riding in the morning when it's cold, so I doubt I'll catch you at that time. In fact I have an aversion to riding at all unless its sunny and warm :D
    I'm planning to head out there tomorrow after work and do a few laps and see what it s like.

cheers
    Ives.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Early evening on sundays during summer always sees a fair few riders out there as well. I used it quite a lot when I lived nearby and its a decent place to train due to the lack of traffic and the good road surface.

Also if you are into triathlon etc then you can use the running track half way around the park for brick training.

One thing I will say though is please do not run red lights at the park as it generates bad feeling amongst the drivers and pedestrians attracts interest from the police (who otherwise are great and let everybody get on with their training) and tars all the other cyclists at the park with the same brush.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1