Cyclling through Jordan, Heeeeellllllppppp

Graham K
Graham K Posts: 329
Ive put myself down for a charity Cycle through Jordan, 250 miles in 5 days in 25 degree heat.
Ive got 6 months to lose gut and get fit.
Any tips or help as the heat will be a major factor over there.

Comments

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Christ, I thought that Jordan was probably a bit slack "down below" but to be able to cycle through there?..WOW!

Poor old Alex Reid. Perhaps he likes two's-up, on a Tandem. LOL!
  • Graham K
    Anybody? :shock:
  • Jordan's a great place. You'll have a wonderful time.

I expect the trip organisers will have you up early and finished before the heat picks up. Autumn should be cooler and it can get cold at higher altitudes.

Sunscreen, plenty of water, wicking clothing, Long sleeved wicking base layers will keep the sun off too.

Enjoy
    Hard tyres and a tailwind
  • Graham K
    born2beeza wrote:
    Jordan's a great place. You'll have a wonderful time.

I expect the trip organisers will have you up early and finished before the heat picks up. Autumn should be cooler and it can get cold at higher altitudes.

Sunscreen, plenty of water, wicking clothing, Long sleeved wicking base layers will keep the sun off too.

Enjoy

Cheers, you been there then?
    I know nowt about the place apart from its hot :oops:
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    I'm pretty sure my pals dad is doing this. I have been flirting with the idea. I assume its not a cheap expidition? Is it road riding or what?
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    Mesopotamia! Damn!

Who arranges these things. I'd love to do Syria and Jordan. Is it a regular thing? Do you have any links?

I am sooo jealous.

/me lies down
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    check out KE adventures. There's loads of companies doing tours of exciting places and they're not as expensive as you think they would be. I'd personally love to do this http://www.keadventure.com/trip/4785/biking-the-annapurana-circuit.html but nowhere near fit enough yet!
    You don't need to come up with a charity ride excuse to do them! I'm going to morrocco on a mtb touring holiday and all in it's going to be about £1000 inc flights food etc. Never done anything similar before so really looking forward to it!
  • Graham K
    Stoo61 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure my pals dad is doing this. I have been flirting with the idea. I assume its not a cheap expidition? Is it road riding or what?

Its £2750 PP for us, but its for charity were doing it for so can definatly be done alot cheaper yourself,
    I think its 3 n half days off road, 1 n half on road, weve got a meeting next month to discuss the full job.
    stomith wrote:
    Mesopotamia! Damn!

Who arranges these things. I'd love to do Syria and Jordan. Is it a regular thing? Do you have any links?

I am sooo jealous.

/me lies down

I am doing mine for Marie Curie Cancer Care, these are the agents who its all through
    http://www.classictours.co.uk/
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    My sister in law did a charity ride in Jordan last year - similar format to yours probably.

She was packing some additional poundage and managed to do it. The main things are to keep hydrated and top up salts.

Take some packets of diarrhoea fluid replacement like Dioralyte or similar and mix them with your drinking water. Also don't eat salads or have drinks with ice cubes - she made that mistake and had to ride the last 2 days with the runs - not much fun in that heat.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    Exodus do a 9 day cycling holiday to Jordan. cost between £1200 and £1500 inc flights depending on the time of year you go. Just adding that as the trip below is mega expensive, more realistic price for peopl who are interested in doing it but not necessarily for charity and not DIY.
    Graham K wrote:
    Stoo61 wrote:

Its £2750 PP for us, but its for charity were doing it for so can definatly be done alot cheaper yourself,
    I think its 3 n half days off road, 1 n half on road, weve got a meeting next month to discuss the full job.
    stomith wrote:
    Mesopotamia! Damn!

I am sooo jealous.

/me lies down

I am doing mine for Marie Curie Cancer Care, these are the agents who its all through
    http://www.classictours.co.uk/
  • personally id make sure you got the proper travel insurance if the event isnt allready provided you with one.

dont skip costs on the travel insurance and make sure you FULLY check though it, as there are a lot of things that can go wrong and i highly dout you would like to be stuck in Jordan.

Also money and costs, how much personal cash or money you taking? credit cards? pre-paid cards?Dont want to be traveling with large amount of cash on you ie upwards of £200 as likely to lose it or make self target.

safety and security id say the biggest issue, are you going to get provided with security?

The country i know isnt great and police are rather hit and miss as i have heard times of corruption and such.

Recommend you speak to the event organiser about what will be in place for security and what to do if you get into trouble.

check ofc you probally know foren office before you leave for latest info about country.

p.s little tip..DO NOT SHAKE WITH YOUR LEFT HAND.lol it really really bad insult in muslim countrys 8)
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Last time I went to Jordan there was an armed member of the Tourist Police with us most of the time as we travelled. It's a lovely place with on the whole lovely people, enjoy.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed