My poor crank arm...

Phinx
Phinx Posts: 297
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys and girls. I don't post often but an emergency forced me to come in to the world of the living. A few days ago (imbaressed) my crankarm fell of as i was riding. I didnt give it a big thought and just bolted it back on. Yesterday it flew off again and i got really peed of and decided to take a look. To my suprise the bolt thread was gone and it seems the thread inside the bottom bracket is gone as well. How can this be? I only bought it in november last year i started riding it in january?

Not sure what by BB is but it is a Giant Yukon FX3 and the website says it is just a 'cartridge'.
Giant Yukon FX3

Comments

• What cranks are they?
  • Phinx
    Truvativ ISOFlow
    Giant Yukon FX3
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    splined or?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Phinx
    Square taper
    Giant Yukon FX3
  • nicklouse
    replace the cranks and bb as the arm will just keep coming off even if you replace the BB.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Phinx
    why cranks?
    Giant Yukon FX3
  • hounslow
    hounslow Posts: 153
    Phinx wrote:
    why cranks?
    chances are it falling off/running loose has worn away at the inside of the crank arm, causing a sloppy fit.
  • Phinx
    How can they if their have no thread in them? They just go on and a rather wide end of the bolt is keeping them in place by pressing it againsts the BB.
    Giant Yukon FX3
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yeah but since you've been riding it while it's been loose, the square taper on the BB and crank arm will no longer be a decent fit, so it will keep coming undone.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Phinx
    Damn...is it possible for a BB to be so poor that the thread gets shaven off in 3 months? Or is it a defect?
    Giant Yukon FX3
  • nicklouse
    Phinx wrote:
    Damn...is it possible for a BB to be so poor that the thread gets shaven off in 3 months? Or is it a defect?

with riding on it you will have done the damage.
  • Phinx
    My bottom bracket can't be made of anything metal...it is deffinatelly a paper one...
    Giant Yukon FX3
  • Phinx
    Dear commnity, do you have any recommendations for my next crankset?
    Giant Yukon FX3
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Deore M590. Comes with its own external BB.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Phinx wrote:
    It's Truvativ, so entirely possible!

Like supersonic said, the Shimano Deore crankset is very good on a budget and comes with the BB too. The Hollowtech II axle is SO much better than square taper.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    supersonic wrote:
    Deore M590. Comes with its own external BB.

+1 great VFM!
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Phinx
    I saw a set for £50 on e-bay. Is that an ok peice for a new one?
    Giant Yukon FX3
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Phinx
    What about the size of BB? Universal or are the websites forgot to add the options? Plus will there be any facing involved? (whatever that means).
    Giant Yukon FX3
  • Matt 24k
    Matt 24k Posts: 186
    The Hollow Tech 2 BB comes with spacers to fit either 68 or 73mm frames. You should get the frame faced but a lot of people don't bother.
  • nicklouse
    Matt 24k wrote:
    You should get the frame faced but a lot of people don't bother.
    and then wonder why their bearings did not last that long.

get it faced.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    If you buy your crankset from a bricks and mortar shop they may even face the BB shell for you for nothing (or at least discounted0, it's only a 10 minute job really.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    Phinx wrote:
    Plus will there be any facing involved? (whatever that means).

:lol: EXACTLY

You can tell if your frame has been previously faced as there will be no paint around the BB shell on the drive side of the frame. Although if you owned the frame from new it probably has not been faced.
  • Phinx
    I'm writing an article on this when i get a chance...i see there are tools for sale to do this in a classic DIY style, but i aint spending that money on a tool i will use a few times in my lifetime...alternatives are bike shops. How do i know if i need it faced or not?
    Giant Yukon FX3
  • Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    Phinx wrote:
    I'm writing an article on this when i get a chance...i see there are tools for sale to do this in a classic DIY style, but i aint spending that money on a tool i will use a few times in my lifetime...alternatives are bike shops. How do i know if i need it faced or not?

i just told you, ninny!
  • Phinx
    sorry, my bad :D i did not sleep for the past 31 hour. I guess it's starting to show.
    Giant Yukon FX3