Rear Durailer Alignment

abarth_1200
abarth_1200 Posts: 370
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I noticed a few days after getting my bike that the rear durailer cage wasnt parallel vertically with the bike, it looked as if it was bent in towards the wheel but the top guide pulley was inline with the correct sprocket and everything was running fine so I just left it. (99% certain that I hadnt bashed it)

If I sit on my bike and look down and line my eye up with the top of the chain (just before the rear sprockets) and the bottom where it comes out the bottom of the rear durailer its about 10mm out of line.

I have a few more weeks until its free first service, should I leave it until then or take it in now, as I said it hasnt affected gear changes but I have noticed when pedaling its quite loud almost as if the chain is rubbing on the 2 pulleys possibly accelerating wear.

Thanks guys, just one of those niggles thats getting more and more annoying

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Might have had a slight knock - either the mech hanger is bent, or the derailer is.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes it often looks like it is in some gears. is it the same in all gears.

but give the shop a call and see if they can do a quick hanger alignment check.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    The hanger looks straight. There is a little bit of play between the hanger and the duralier which looks like it constitutes some of the problem, but this seems like normal tolerancess.

And yes its the same in every gear, I can hold it straight with my hand but the tension pulls it back in.