When to give up on a wheel?

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got my mate's 3 year old Malt 4 in for checking over, and his main bugbear is the back wheel, a Merlin-built 717 on an LX hub with their db spokes. He's about 13 stone I think and just keeps breaking spokes. I counted them up and it has more replacement spokes than original ones... And it's been ridden a lot with broken spokes. The rim itself has a few dings in it but nothing massive.

Tension was all to cock, so I've balanced it off a bit better (still not perfect, I'm not that good) but I figure it needs a proper rebuild, it's just been repaired too often so no wonder it keeps breaking. So, the question is, should he just cut his losses and replace it? I'm thinking he probably should, the exact equivalent wheel from Merlin now is £75 so the labour cost of a quality rebuild will be a decent bite of that. What do you guys reckon?
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    replace all the spokes. the old ones will be over stressed and you will just keep chasing them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    Bit beyond my ability that unfortunately, I can maintain a wheel but not build it, so I'm washing my hands a wee bit of this one since I know I can't make it good. Would you say in this case that the cost of a pro rebuild will be worthwhile?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    at 75 pounds the old bits would have to be very nice/good not to get replaced.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    Mmm, that's more or less what I'm thinking too. Not that there was anything wrong with the wheel in the first place but even the good bits are old now. Thanks for the advice
    Uncompromising extremist
  • New wheel for me! Once it's that far gone rebuilding it is just polishing the proverbial!
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    By the time you add up new spokes and labour cost of a good rebuild I doubt there will be much if any cost difference, I'd go new and sell the old one as spares.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Get some new wheels and have a go at re-buliding the old ones anyway knowing you have nothing to lose. If you're successful, use them, or flog them...
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I had my rear wheel rebuilt by the Hub for 15 quid a month ago and none of the spokes have broken yet (used to break them quite regualrly), might be worth a shot next time your down.