Panniers for HAMAX

tracy77
tracy77 Posts: 3
I'm new to all this so please be gentle people!!

Can anyone help. I'm just about to start commuting with my 3 year old. I've got the Hamax Kiss but I've just realised (after fitting it to the bike) that the rack had to come off.

My problem now is that I can't find any panniers that are compatible. aaarggh how do I get my clothes to work???

Does anyone have ANY possible solutions??? :cry:

Comments

• thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    Can you carry them in a backpack?

Hamax do make a solution that works with panniers, the Plus system.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    How heavy is your 3yo?

The hamax kiss looks like my hamax siesta. I do use it with a pannier rack: I mount the seat tube bracket fairly high to clear the rack.
    How big is your frame?

The Hamax Plus system does allow carrying pannier bags, but AFAICT, only the Hamax Plus specific ones. The question is weather all that weight will be too much and handling affected.

My son, now 3 1/2yo, is getting too heavy for this combination, so I have opted for a trailgator. I would probably invest in a single seater trailer or even a tag-along bike if the trailgator wasn't an option.
  • tracy77
    tracy77 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies,

My 3yo is 17kg. I know! Quite a weight!!

I only have to have her with me for around 4 miles of my 12 mile commute so I'm hoping the handling isn't gonna be a problem. There's just no way I could possibly do the backpack thing as arriving at work semi dry is already gonna be an issue nevermind adding a sweaty back to the equation.

I've ordered a handlebar pannier to see if I can squeeze everything I need in there. (fingers crossed!) Guess I'm just gonna have to be extra organised and leave lots of spares at work

Wish me luck!
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    tracy77 wrote:

Wish me luck!

Good luck! And hats off for being such a committed commuter and parent! :-)
  • Arfa
    Arfa Posts: 17
    Use the Hamax Plus system myself. Yep, you need the carrier, childseat and panniers from the range. The panniers have a corner that folds down to make room for the feet stirrups of the childseat. Works really well to be honest with you. Everything just slides onto the carrier and locks in place.

I quite like having the bits separate, as we have a carrier on mine and the wifes bike, and just swap the seat and panniers as need be. Now we've a second kid, we've just picked up a second seat.

Only downside, is it can be a lot of weight on the back, very easy to pull a wheely! Also when you're not riding the bike and just pushing it along, it can be all to easy to drop the lot.
  • gsd
    gsd Posts: 114
    How about front panniers? Have your forks got the mount points?

Or a handlebar bag? I've just started using my handlebar bag for commuting rather than my pannier unless I'm doing some lunchtime shopping. It's just big enough for a few tools and the clothes I need to bring in every day and is much more convenient to carry round.
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    gsd wrote:
    How about front panniers? Have your forks got the mount points?

Or a handlebar bag? I've just started using my handlebar bag for commuting rather than my pannier unless I'm doing some lunchtime shopping. It's just big enough for a few tools and the clothes I need to bring in every day and is much more convenient to carry round.

The low rider front panniers is what I did when soveda 2.0 was in the bike seat (Hamax Sleepy), helped to balance the load too!