Bottom Bracket on Orange Five

ftwizard
ftwizard Posts: 253
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Would I be right in thinking that I could fit an external bearing Bottom Bracket, such as Hope or XT, to the Orange frame straight from the factory ie. no need to have the carrier faced first.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Yes you can fit an external BB to any frame.

My '06 Orange 5 frame was not faced.

My '07 one has an external BB & as I've not removed it I can't tell if it is faced or not.

PS you could keep all your Orange 5 Q's in one thread ;)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • ftwizard
    Thanks for the reply. I realise you can fit an external bearing bottom bracket to any frame, I just wondered if the Orange frame came already faced, as they seem to fit this type of bracket as standard. Are you saying that the frame is good enough as it is, and doesn't need facing?
    Re the different threads, I think this is a tech type question, whereas my other one was a buying type question. Different forums no?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I had my '06 frame faced when I had a SLX chainset & external BB fitted.

I'd have any frame faced when fitting en external BB, unless it's already been done.

Suppose you're right about the 2 different Q's, just me being a pedant as I've not ridden my bike today :(
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    ftwizard wrote:
    I just wondered if the Orange frame came already faced, as they seem to fit this type of bracket as standard.

TBH with Orange that means nothing, they supply Hope rear hubs fitted with deore cassettes against Hope's recommendations frinstance so I doubt they'd worry too much about facing. On a frame at this price you should be able to take it for granted though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ftwizard
    I agree about the cassette and Hope hubs, that's part of the reason I'm going to build it myself.
    Anyone here bought a Five frame?
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    edited May 2010
    Northwind wrote:
    ftwizard wrote:
    I just wondered if the Orange frame came already faced, as they seem to fit this type of bracket as standard.

TBH with Orange that means nothing, they supply Hope rear hubs fitted with deore cassettes against Hope's recommendations frinstance so I doubt they'd worry too much about facing. On a frame at this price you should be able to take it for granted though.

FWIW, Hope do not recommend not using deore cassettes. They simply state that not using an alloy carrier can result in cosmetic scoring.

OP: If you're buying your 5 frame from an LBS ask if they'll face the BB for you. They'll probably do it for free.
  • ftwizard
    To be honest, I was hoping that they might throw in the bottom bracket and fit it. Perhaps a little too wishful.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    ftwizard wrote:
    To be honest, I was hoping that they might throw in the bottom bracket and fit it. Perhaps a little too wishful.

Most cranks come with a bottom bracket. If you buy the frame and cranks at the same place they'd fit it for you.