Lost My Mojo

mrwebbie
mrwebbie Posts: 14
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Hi Folks

I havent been into biking for about 4/5 years and i am trying to build my self back up.

fitness wise i am okay, cant really do hills but i am working on that using the fitness section of the website and by trying to get out on the bike as soon as possible.

the only problem i am having is with the confidence part of getting out and on the bike. i get get all my stuff preped and feeling good, but it seems to be as soon as i get out on the bike its self i start feeling uncomfortable and pretty useless tbh. i have tried to teach my self the basics out in my garden or on quite streets but as i fail at doing them my mojo gets lower and lower.

is there anything that use do to teach your selfs or to get that push to get off your bum and get on the bike

cheers

webbie

Comments

• Pack the night before, lots of alarms, make myself get up.

Once i'm on the trails I love it... tis just getting there!

I've only just started riding alone so its a bit harder to get out, but I do it anyways :)
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I know what you mean about losing your mojo has happened to me. You just need a good day in the saddle. For me it was yesterday, I had a brilliant day on the new trails at Cragg Quarry, wasn't expecting to but it just all seemed to come together on the berms. I think two things got me there yesterday, one was recently riding with a guy who's better and fitter than me (and 10 years older to boot :evil: ) who got me riding some steep down sections that would normally have been out of my comfort zone, that was a couple of months ago. The other thing that has made a big difference to my riding was doing a skills course last November, really sorted out my riding position which in turn has massively increased my ability to steer the bike. Sounds daft but it's true. It was a course with five students, when I can find some money I'm definitely going to book a 1 to 1 day.

Keep at the fitness to, if you are fitter and stronger you'll be in a much better position to brute force your way out of mistakes which in turn will give you more confidence. Finally, don't push it to hard otherwise it'll become a chore.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Also, make sure your bike is working perfectly... gear problems/poor setup can ruin a ride and make you not want tot get out again :(
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Find a few people to ride with, it is much more enjoyable and you push yourself against them

Otherwise find that sweet trail and just think about getting there, and having a great time. As soon as you have gotten properly back into it, you'll constantly want to be out there.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    What Ben said in his second post is also very good advice, mechanicals and niggling squeaks and creaks can really ruin a ride.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Really thought this thread was going to be about a stolen Ibis.

I know how you feel though, I got back into it a year ago after 10+ years (doesn't bear thinking about).

It's only really gotten better for me this past month, yep it took me a year. Before that I felt quite miserable on occasion, getting off the bike to climb down some technical sections.

I was lucky with having a friend who (apart from being a really good rider) was also very patient. So we'd go out for rides at my pace. I think you need to find people to ride with, and are willing to show you good simple trails that are fun as well as able to show you what you are doing wrong.
  • Bungalow Bill
    Bungalow Bill Posts: 643
    The key is hanging on in there be that with want to ride and when you forget to break on those fast downwards tech sections ;)

I had a really close group of riders that went out every week, over the last 5 months Ive been out riding with other people once, I ride every day I can so about 5-6 times a week just now, riding on your own is a chore at times especially on those accents and long tedious pedal sections but, nothing can take away for me the feeling no breaks hipping jumping and generally just plowing through the downhill sections.

Im guilty of not going for a ride because I cant be arsed going on my own, but I know next time I ride with the lads I used to ride with I'm gona smoke them into next week then they will regret not having the time to ride ;)

The only person who can make you ride is YOU. Find a club near by if you have one? It does not matter what style or ability you are they will welcome you and help you direct you and look after you. Those few riders who are not open to letting the slower/less skilled riders ride with them can just go get fu**ed.

But man get out and plow through set yourself goals to reach each week and hold in there it will all come good trust me I'm a rider :-D
    I use all 9 inches.

Sabrina
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    edited May 2010
    Try to set a goal, distance or time in the saddle.

Riding around with friends helps too

Sign up for a charity ride, good motivation and when asking for sponsorship you may find others who want to get in to it again, but don't know anyone in the same position.

A nice sunny day helps :shock: :?
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    There's some short sections of trail within a minutes ride from my house which are almost never used by other riders or walkers. After a ride I'll sometimes head up there and just ride them over and over, going a little bit faster each time, landing each drop a little bit better, just building my confidence and improving my skills. Finding something where you can practice in peace near your house might help you improve your confidence in your riding.
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    Rich Hcp wrote:
    Riding around with friends helps too

Very much this. It can be quite demoralising mooching about on your own. Do what ever it takes to get some more people in on it.

I'm not entirely sure how, but a mate of mine has just managed to blag two mates into spending 1500 quid on the C2W scheme! :shock: :lol: (an Orange G3 and a whyte 901 trial)
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    My motivation sometime wanes, but when you've had to have enforced time off - injuries - the bike/training tends to be something to look forward too.

Think there's just been a Scientific Report that states, as little as 5min OUTDOOR exercise, can do wonders for you.

I totally agree...so maybe just getting OUTSIDE may get the old "Mr Motivator" moving...but without the skin tight, lycra bodysuits and headband !

Just think of the Dole-lite wasters waiting til the World Cup comes on their "paid for by the Council with handouts" Sky TV to make their Life WHOLE..
    Very sad gits, and surley a lower level of species than cyclists!!!
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    feeling the need to always push yourself can lead to the feeling of not wanting to go out in the first place.
    mental skills are as important and the physical ones
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I just came back from my winter away in Canada and was very keen to get back on my bike and go - after a week or two I realised I was stuck on the same loops I had been doing all last summer and feel a little jaded especially as its an hour from home to anything mor einteresting so I am pushing a 2 hour ride just to get to something good to ride on - makes it hard to get out there.

Variety or ride budies is the spice of life!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    The comments about getting out there being the hardest thing are so true. As soon as I've gotten over that first hill I'm usually good to go.

I'd been trying to get back on the bike for at least ten years... Some years I'd give up before I dusted the bike down. One year I even bought a new bike and did a charity ride, then didn't ride it again... The last three years I've sat there and dreamed of being out on the trails enjoying the weather, but just didn't get around to it.

This year I finally decided to just bite the bullet and go for it, brought my bike home from my parents, hopped on with no expectations and headed straight in to the park.
    I think having no expectations has really worked well for me. I'm not worrying too much about my technique or what I can and can't ride... I'm just going out there and enjoying the countryside.

I imagine it's different for everyone.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    kaytronika wrote:
    I'm just going out there and enjoying the countryside.

I imagine it's different for everyone.

Exactly the same for me.

I'm rubbish compared to many on a MTB, however i love being outside in the hills on my own enjoying the peace and peddaling hard :)

My ability or lack of it is pretty much insignificant.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    try going out and building some trails. when i build something i can't wait to ride it and then ride again and again :D

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Check out the good vibes eh, that'll help. Best thing for me is to find someone to go out with, you might even find someone on here living locally to you. Also, try your local bike shop as they may do an evening/weekend group ride you can go on.

Most of all have fun!
    Many happy trails!