Stroker Trail bleeding problem

strudelpus
strudelpus Posts: 71
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Recently gained about 30% floppy lever travel - brake still works ok but with slightly sticky caliper pistons. So got the Hayes Bleed kit to purge the system as per Hayes tutorial, but no fluid from the M/cyl bleed hole so tried to find out why the M/cyl piston isn't travelling properly. But can't get access to it and no spare part listed so any ideas how to get it moving properly again without having to get a new brake.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so have you watched the how to bleed video?

have you downloaded the how to manual?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • strudelpus
    Checked out the YouTube tutorial which seemed straightforward enough but i'll have to look at the download - still think there's a problem in there, mind...
  • nicklouse
    so when the bleed on the caliper is open and you have opened the bleed nipple on the caliper can you push any fluid through?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • strudelpus
    Got it bleeding at last - vacuum lock in bottle, but still sticky action (i'll keep at it!). Cheers Nick.
  • strudelpus
    Well, it's bled and the action is firmer (to be expected). But still the dead travel remains so it may be LBS time, bugger...
  • nicklouse
    tried the reach adjust? and let the pads/pistons settle with use.
  • strudelpus
    It's not the adjuster, it's the lever piston not gaining its full travel - as if the spring has compressed. Just off for a ride to see if it regains use... onwards!
  • nicklouse
    the spring does nothing.
  • strudelpus
    No improvement i.e. still 20-30% dead travel but the brake works ok, so the spring certainly doesn't seem to be doing much (surely i's job is to push the piston back to its start position?)
  • nicklouse
    nope it does not. that is the seals. all the spring is for is to keep the pads away from the rotor when not in use.

have you played with the reach adjust?
  • strudelpus
    i'm talking about the spring in the m/cyl body (i thought we were at cross-purposes ho ho!)