U16 racing 4th cat?

Hunterg46
Hunterg46 Posts: 133
edited May 2010 in Amateur race
Firstly is it worth trying? I'm an U16 and im starting racing for the first time this year, and the team i'm with say I should race 4th cat as apposed to the U16 league, is it a good idea, or is the standard to high for most U16's?

And also if an U16 is racing 4th cat, do they still have to abide by the gearing limitations?

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Yes you still need to abide by the gearing restrictions, and you need to get dispensation from British Cycling, which will require you to get some good results in U16 racing anyway.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Hunterg46
    Hunterg46 Posts: 133
    ok thanks.
  • Manaru
    Manaru Posts: 18
    I find the U16 races much harder than 4th Cat races, so your probably better off doing them and a 4th cat race afterwards if they have one.
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    the u16 standard is quite low generally, with the acception of national series racing. ie, not many riders, only a few fast guys, no one working=slow race. and the youth racing is generally very short.

this really hit me when i went to race in belgium yesterday, and there was a bunch ofover 100 youths, and the race was at an absolutely insane pace.

riding up to seniors when possible is the best option, this will give you experience at faster racing for longer and races with more riders.

even when riding up youths have to stick to their gear restrictions.
  • lfc_westy
    lfc_westy Posts: 87
    im also U16 and i have foubnd that most races have the cream of the country in, pace is very high. Sam lowe the national youth champion was at a few of my races and he pretty much won most of them after lapping the whole field. I am only 15 but when i turn 16 i will be racing open road events in the categories
    It Never Gets Easier, you just get Faster and luckier.

UEA Road Captain

Planet X SL pro carbon - sram rival
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I thought that all under 16 racing was on closed circuits? So I imagine that if your allowed to ride with the 4th cats it would only be in crits.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    lfc_westy wrote:
    im also U16 and i have foubnd that most races have the cream of the country in, pace is very high. Sam lowe the national youth champion was at a few of my races and he pretty much won most of them after lapping the whole field. I am only 15 but when i turn 16 i will be racing open road events in the categories

If the pace is that high how come Sam Lowe is lapping the field ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • mentalalex
    mentalalex Posts: 266
    you can race cat 4/3 only on a closed circuit and ask the guy in-charge first.

youth races can be between 22-26 as an average depending who is there.
    I do science, sometimes.
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    mentalalex wrote:
    you can race cat 4/3 only on a closed circuit and ask the guy in-charge first.

Only if you have dispensation on your licence.
  • love2ride
    love2ride Posts: 224
    The pace can be high but it is usually always a sprint finish once all the cr*p riders have been dropped. It is very stop and start as there is always a lull when no one wants to take the front. The youth racing is good for tactics and you need to do it to get the 15points for the senior races. You can't race with BC on the road, just closed circuit. This is good experience and training, especially for junior categegory. I find senior much more exciting. See if TLI do any races near you, because with them u16 can race on the road. They give good prizes too :lol: