Marmotte training

inseine
inseine Posts: 5,786
2 months to go, so how's it going?
I'm getting a bit worried! I've been following Pete Reads Black Book even though it's geared more to UK time trailing at least it works with my time constraints and I'm happy with the results. I thought I should get some longer miles in so i did a 200k randonee yesterday but that was still only 6.15 and there was a 30minute stop at the half way mark. Pan flat too. I'm expecting the Marmotte to be 50% longer in the saddle plus there's a small matter of 5000m of climbing.
Those who've done it before, what do you think? I could spend the next few weeks doing 2 hour road races or 4 hour group rides at the weekend. Quality or quantity.
Either way it's going to be a killer.....

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    If you did 200k in 6 hours you will not take 12 for Marmotte.
    I did 8:30 comfortably and I am no climber, though I was not passed at all downhill :D
    I did not particular training other than a few long rides on weekends and some races so a mixture is good as the long rides will provide endurance for the climbing and the races will give you speed for the start and the flat sections between climbs.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I said 50% longer, thinking 9.00 was realistic target. I'm sure I'll be OK on the first couple of climbs, it's just a matter of how much I blow on the last two.
    I'm hoping that a more scientic approach to fueling will pay off.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    inseine wrote:
    2 months to go, so how's it going?
    I'm getting a bit worried! I've been following Pete Reads Black Book even though it's geared more to UK time trailing at least it works with my time constraints and I'm happy with the results. I thought I should get some longer miles in so i did a 200k randonee yesterday but that was still only 6.15 and there was a 30minute stop at the half way mark. Pan flat too. I'm expecting the Marmotte to be 50% longer in the saddle plus there's a small matter of 5000m of climbing.
    Those who've done it before, what do you think? I could spend the next few weeks doing 2 hour road races or 4 hour group rides at the weekend. Quality or quantity.
    Either way it's going to be a killer.....
    It really depends for the Marmotte assuming you get the fuelling an pacing side of things correct you're 'sustainable power' will be the key determinant in how well you perform In my experience an over reliance on group rides can be an inefficient use of your time (lots of conversation paced riding with a few surges chucked in). Two hour races should at least push your 'fitness levels' more than a typical 'group ride'. TT effort in the 20-60 minute range would also help alongside tempo rides an short intervals.