Spec Pitch Pro (10) vs GT Sanction 1.0 (08)

KiltedJedi
KiltedJedi Posts: 13
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
Ok, so after much faffing over a new bike its come down to these two after ruling the rest out due to available sizes, cost etc etc...

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b1s1p1441

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=21759

Riding in the Alps all summer, all mountain. Giving the lift served stuff out here i will most likely end up hammering down launching off stuff all over the place (but i still want to climb etc), which makes me lean towards the GT. But then again i'm 6ft4 so the XL spec would give me a bit more leg room. In all honesty i cant decide between them.

Somebody give me a decent reason to go for one over the other!! then i promise not to litter the forum for a while.....until i start upgrading....

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    have you tried them out yet? If not, I'd say do that first
  • heathy_76
    heathy_76 Posts: 213
    I own a '09 Pitch Pro and have no problem with going uphill (apart from my own fitness).
    I'm not sure if the '10 version is the same, but the fox rear shock on the '09 is tuned to be firmer than standard, making climbing slightly easier. There is also the pro-pedal option too, but I assume that this features on the GT as well.
    I also find the lockout and the U-turn adjustment on the Pike forks very helpful when climbing, although I tend to use the lockout more than the U-turn.

As a Pitch owner I am heavily biased but the reviews for the bike say it all really. I have never ridden anything like it, especially going downhill, where it is awesome. It's simply a matter of picking your line and letting the bike do all the work.

The best money I have ever spent! And I got it from the Cyclestore too.

Unashamedly biased post over! :lol:
  • jairaj, it's the obvious thing to do but i wont be able to due to a long set of circumstances which i wont bore you with. A sin i know but i'll just have to bite the bullet...
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    Im a 2008 pitch ower...

and upgraded the rear to an RP3, and its perfect ;)
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The GT is a burlier, heavier bike that will take more abuse.
  • Itsari
    Itsari Posts: 346
    I haven't tried a pitch but the Sanction was a nice bike - Thebigcheese just sold his so try asking him.
  • m_cozzy
    m_cozzy Posts: 132
    I'm a burly (ok fat) 6' and my medium sanction fits me fine, I love it, totally bulletproof & with an 11-34 rear cog instead of the stock 11-32 it climbs superbly.
    Specwise also looks better than the pitch.
    Banned from singletrack forum again :-)
  • Got to be honest. I've got a Gt I Drive. It is a lovely bike and frame and is geared for lots of abuse like Supersonic has said. It is a really good ride... so I would imagine the same for the GT bike you are looking at.

My only issue with the GT Idrive - is the legendary creaking noise. Its getting stripped down hopefully on the wkend as the noise doesn't sound good.

I would go for the other bike - cause in my opinion the I-drive bikes are heavy maintenance.

Cheers
  • KiltedJedi.... I found myself with a pretty similar short list this time last year (although i was also looking at the Marin / Commencal's on ebay).

I wanted to spend around £1200 on a go anywhere do anything (for me at least!) full suspension bike. I read all the reviews on the Pitch and got my local Evans to order me one in. First impression was good, but I wasn't blown away and there was absolutely no chance of any discount.

I then read about the Sanction 1.0 and found one with Rutland Cycling for just under £1400. As soon as I saw the bike it immediately felt like a higher quality rig (as the rrp suggests). I've now been riding the bike for just over a year and I can't recommend it highly enough. I ride mainly 7 Staines and Northumberland XC and most of my mates have two bikes for this (heavy DH & lighter XC). I just ride the Sanction for anything and never feel under or over biked. The only limiting factors are my skill & fitness. The suspension did take quite a bit of tweaking to get set up right and I also swapped the bars (went wider) and stem (went shorter). I'm just over 6 ft and went for a large but I def think you'd need an XL.

Overall a true do anything bike; i dont even use the pro-pedal on the ups as the idrive is so effective and the beefy lyrik upfront just inspires confidence, and you should be able to pick one up with a hefty discount by now.

Hope this helps, enjoy the alps. :D