On one 456 vs Cove Handjob

rudedog
rudedog Posts: 523
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to upgrade my GT aggressor frame - I'd like to stick with a HT at the moment as I'm still learning a lot and at present, feel I can do pretty much everything I want to on one. I'm thinking a lighter steel frame may be the way to go coupled with a pair of 120mm reba teams.

With that in mind, the two frames I've narrowed it down to are the On One 456 and the Cove handjob. There's a fair difference in price between these two frames so I'd probably go for a second hand Cove, just wondering if anyone had any experience with both and could offer any advice regarding the individual characteristics of these frames

any feedback would be much appreciated :D

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    edited May 2010
    If your going for the Cove get an 09 or earlier...the 2010 frames use Tange Prestige rather than the better tubing on the 09 and earlier frames being Custom Colombus...The decals on the new 2010 frames look cheap and naff...I guess its Silverfish cutting corners now they are looking after the UK market for Cove rather than Cove distributing through Silverfish...you can pick up 09 frames for sub £400....to be honest I would have the 456 they are a sweet looking frame...you could get the Carbon for less than the Cove..welll that's if you can get your hands on one !!
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    On-one's aint that light... I've got the summer series... great but not light!
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    meh, the 456 will build up sub 30 pretty easily
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Cove's more limited in fork length for the future... Nice frames but for the sort of money they cost you should also definately check out used Cotics. Not that I'm a fanboy or anything.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • rudedog
    ratty2k wrote:
    On-one's aint that light... I've got the summer series... great but not light!

I thought they are around the same weight as the handjob - 4.5lbs ish.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Dunno, never bothered much with weight TBH.... depends on what you want,
    456 basic steel frame, cheap good not too light, other stuff lighter, better? dunno, but dearer...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    it's about a pound heavier from memory. a columbus cove also feels different, i found it a smoother ride character which I preferred when demo'd - but then scored a good deal on ebay so worked out similar price to a 456 (but sold it on immediately for profit / another story).
  • rudedog
    Pudseyp wrote:
    If your going for the Cove don't get an 09 or earlier...the 2010 frames use Tange Prestige rather than the better tubing on the 09 and earlier frames being Custom Colombus...The decals on the new 2010 frames look cheap and naff...I guess its Silverfish cutting corners now they are looking after the UK market for Cove rather than Cove distributing through Silverfish...you can pick up 09 frames for sub £400....to be honest I would have the 456 they are a sweet looking frame...you could get the Carbon for less than the Cove..welll that's if you can get your hands on one !!

That doesn't make sense - which are you advising to get the 09 and previous or the 2010?
  • rudedog
    Northwind wrote:
    The Cove's more limited in fork length for the future... Nice frames but for the sort of money they cost you should also definitely check out used Cotics. Not that I'm a fanboy or anything.

Yeah, budget constraints mean it would need to be a second hand Cove which would be similar in price to the new 456 - unfortunately you don't seem to see too many second hand Cotics :wink:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Hold that thought, I reckon a few Soul owners will chop theirs in for carbon 456s. I am detecting a possible revolt ;) I'd be considering it myself if I had the money for the fork I'd need to finish the job.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    These choices are not really upgrades as such - just different.

And certainly not lighter.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    That doesn't make sense - which are you advising to get the 09 and previous or the 2010?[/quote

Oooops trying to get used to my new lappy....get the 09 and earlier version...post corrected
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • rudedog
    supersonic wrote:
    These choices are not really upgrades as such - just different.

And certainly not lighter.

Well I'd consider them upgrades as I find the GT a pretty harsh ride due to the triple triangle design. Point taken regarding the weight though - for some reason I thought the 456 was the same weight as the Cove which even then would only make it a slightly lighter than the GT.
  • supersonic
    I'd get a test in on some of the frames then - as they may be stiffer lol.
  • Glynnd111
    Glynnd111 Posts: 169
    I Upgraded my Voodoo Bokor frame to a 09 Cove Handjob XC and i went round the new Monkey Trail at cannock today and as its first proper test its amazing and never put a foot wrong and even had some full sus guys pull over so i could pass that made me smile.

I paid full price for my frame from CRC and it was the best £470 i ever spent.
  • rudedog
    supersonic wrote:
    I'd get a test in on some of the frames then - as they may be stiffer lol.

Sorry, I should have said that I've already tested the Cove. Unfortunately the Cove I tried had been set up for proper XC (short travel forks, long stem & narrow bars) which was pretty different to how I've ended up setting up my XC1. The upshot being it was difficult to make a like for like comparison - to my surprise, it certainly didn't feel too uncomfortable and at the time I did think it felt more flexy than my GT at the rear (which was what got me started thinking about changing frames in the first place :wink: )

A friend has suggested the Blue Pig also might be worth looking at and price wise, falls pretty much bang in between the 456 and Handjob. I've searched the net for opinons and it seems get almost universal acclaim (a bit like the cotic soul in that respect)

I'd love to be able to try all three bikes out - I live in SW Scotland does anyone know somewhere fairly handy (upcoming demo days etc) where I might be able to do this?
  • rudedog
    Just a follow up to this thread - I ended up getting a second hand Cove Handjob and a set of Fox 140mm RLC Floats.

I had originally planned to put a 10mm spacer in the forks to bring them down to the recommend 130mm but it turns out the Fox Float Axle to crown height is 510mm which is also the maximum Cove recommend for the HJ so looks like I'll be ok leaving them at 140mm.

Anyway, I was out for my first proper run tonight since building it up and I'm over the moon - the bike handled absolutely brilliantly. Its difficult to believe how different it feels from the GT. The front end felt so much more sure footed and planted, it almost felt like it had front wheel drive at times if you know what I mean. As the GT was my first bike, I was never really sure whether the deficiencies I felt in its handling were down to the bike or my own lack of skill - its good to know now that it wasn't all down to the latter ;)

Another plus was that it felt better at climbing too - there's a really steep climb on my local loop when I really struggled to keep the front end from wandering on the GT - even with 20mm more travel the Cove performed much better here.

I'm off to Glentress for the first time this weekend so I'll get a better feel for the bike then but I've a feeling this could be the start of a beautiful relationship :D
  • supersonic
    Glad you like the frame, but the geometry of the avalanche is very good for most people.

There are no deficiencies with the frame if anyone is wondering that.
  • rudedog
    No I didn't mean that the GT frame itself was deficient - whats now clear to me thogh is that the geometry of that bike just didn't suit me personally and as a result this effected how the bike handled. I didn't actually realise how much until I'd been out on the Cove. This is the point I was trying to make - that when your starting out with your first bike, its difficult to know whats right and wrong, what to expect from it in terms of handling etc.
  • bivvy
    bivvy Posts: 23
    rudedog wrote:
    whats now clear to me thogh is that the geometry of that bike just didn't suit me personally and as a result this effected how the bike handled. I didn't actually realise how much until I'd been out on the Cove. This is the point I was trying to make - that when your starting out with your first bike, its difficult to know whats right and wrong, what to expect from it in terms of handling etc.

So glad you like it. I am wondering if you have long legs for your size like me. As I believe the Coves have a short "north shore style" top tube. This would allow you to put more weight on the front to improve the grip and handling there. And also keep teh front down in the climbs. I find most bikes are too long for me, unless I go a lot lower in frame size.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Glad you like the bike - I have been a Cove HJ owner since 2003 and absolutely love it - I personally think it is a fantastic ride, never come up short for anything I am doing even with my ageing 100mm MX Comps on and I still think it is a gorgeous looker too.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • bivvy
    bivvy Posts: 23
    I must say I looked into it, and it seems the Handjob has a LONG top tube (where else could you get away with a comment like this than on an mtb forum). :wink:
  • Smiler15
    Smiler15 Posts: 129
    Maybe worth checking out these guys for a lightweight frame for not alot?

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/about.php