Gisburn Forest Info

MTBmaniac
MTBmaniac Posts: 29
edited May 2010 in Routes
Does anybody know when the rollercoaster/gully section is going to reopen? I know this question has been asked a lot over the last few months, but things have gone a bit quiet, so I thought I'd mention it again.

Also, for the people who are travelling several hours to get to GF, it would be useful if the Forest Commission website had some sort of quick summary stating trail conditions, what's open and any plans for the next month (e.g. dates of future closures and dates when bits are likely to reopen). It's not an issue for me as I live locally and just turn up and ride what's open, but if I was travelling for hours to get there then it would be useful to know. I'd suggest it to Martin, but it's been ages since I last saw him.

Cheers.

Comments

• bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    Heading to Gisburn next Sat 8th with a few others, gutted that it looks like the rollercoaser will still be shut :cry:

Winter must have really taken it's toll!
  • MTBmaniac
    The tracks are riding really well after the dry weather, so I'm sure you'll still enjoy it even if the rollercoaster is closed.

To be honest, I'm not sure why they are keeping it closed as the majority of the gravel was laid quite a while ago and looks to have settled well. Tthe stone pitching looks pretty safe too. I'd read somewhere that they'd temporarily filled a small section with gravel to get it open. Seems a shame that the highlight of the ride has been closed for so long, especially when it has been repaired by volunteers.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be open by next weekend.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I thought it was supposed to have been re-openned. Circumstances have conspired to keep it closed, Martin has been in Vietnam for a month and Nigel who was doing the pitching has changed jobs and is due to have a baby so there have a been a few alternate priorities. Nigel did say he hoped to get the stone pitching finished on our next dig day (the 9th of May), obviously assuming everything else goes OK.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • MTBmaniac
    I was up there on Wednesday evening and the fence and notices were still up.

The plans for the dig day sound good.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    If Nigel's not there on Sunday I'll try and find out what Martin's got planned (assuming he's made it back).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    Itching to get up to gisburn but is it worth an hours drive with the rollercoaster shut.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    piker wrote:
    Itching to get up to gisburn but is it worth an hours drive with the rollercoaster shut.

Yes its still a lovely ride. Take some knobbly tyres though semi slicks will just leave you spinning as I found out a few weeks back.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap