Cycle computers falling off

UK2004
UK2004 Posts: 137
edited May 2010 in MTB general
would like a computer to measure distance, time and speed etc but worried that in fast paced or rough cross countri it will break or fall off, anyone got experience with this?

Comments

• fignon03
    fignon03 Posts: 4
    never happened to me, but i use sigma sport , which uses rubber bands, very secure
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Yes, in fact within the last month! However that's my road bike.

I've a Cateye wireless Micro. On a very short section of cobbled road (strangely the same day as the Paris to Robineaux race) the sensor on the forks came off. A car just missed crushing it. The fixing has a post and a rubber grip and 2 cable ties, but the sensor is screw attached to the post. It must have unscrewed itself as some point - I don't think I remembered to check it before my ride.

The actual computer is very safe on the stem. I doubt any of them would fall off.

On the MTB, I've a cheap wired one and wrapped an old inner tube around the sensor for extra protection as it's on the chainstay rather then the suspension forks. I've never had any trouble with that one despite some abuse.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Had a cateye velo5 go to trail fodder in a small crash in woodland my knee smashed into the relelease clip and it disappeared into the undergrowth, I was more annoyed with the lost mileage reaing. Replaced it with an enduro8 and wedged the clip into place with a plastic shim so it won;t come off without using a tool to dig it out.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • I bought a cateye ages ago. Lasted a few months until one day got home and realised it wasn't there...

I've got an Aldi one now. So I'm not really too bothered if it goes awol when I only paid about £4 for it.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    The actual computer is very safe on the stem. I doubt any of them would fall off.
    +1.

The sensor is also safe, on my Cateye Velo 8, unless somehow both zip ties fail simultaneously. :shock:

The least safe part is the magnet on the spoke, which is screwed just using the fingers,
    but still it won't fall like that, unless you check once in a year.
  • ive got a cheapo tenner one from halford (think its called a star, 6 functions, basic) and ive bailed from my bike many times and its still fine. the cable ties hold the sensor on, and they are fairly strong, the sensor on the wheel has now like dry welded itself onto the wheel so thats safe, and the screen is nice and strong and well attached.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Nearly lost a Cateye Strada wireless in crash, got back on rode down the hill then realised it was missing. I did find it though. Most annoying was a Garmin Vista GPS, fell off my road bike after going over a cattle grid and did get run over. They're tough units but not that tough. Ironically it's never fallen off any of my mountain bikes. Always wrap the lanyard around the bars now.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I've got a Cateye Micro wireless too, and It's never given any sign that it might ever fall off of it's own accord. Not really an issue IMO, so don't let it put you off buying one!