Cheehees' Ribble Sportive Racing.................

cheehee
cheehee Posts: 427
edited July 2011 in Your road bikes
100_1187-1.jpg

100_1186.jpg

Frame: Carbon Road Frame XL
Forks: Carbon Road Forks
Bars: ITM Alutech 42cm
Stem: ITM Alutech 100mm
Headset: Ribble
Bar Tape: ITM Cork

Front Brake Lever: Campag Centaur
Front Caliper: Campag Centaur-D Skeleton Brakes
Rear Brake Lever: Campag Centaur
Rear Caliper: Campag Centaur-D Skeleton Brakes

Shifters: Campag Ultrashift Ergos Centaur
Cables: Yes :wink:
Front Mech: Campag Centaur
Rear Mech: Campag Centaur 10 speed medium

Seat: Charge Spoon
Seat Post: CSN Carbon 31.6 - 400mm
Seat Post Clamp: Not sure ?

Cranks: Campag Centaur Carbon 175mm
Chainring(s): 39x53
Chain: 10 Speed Record Ultra narrow
Cassette: 10 speed Centaur UD cassette 13-29
Pedals: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Campag Record Ultra-Torque

Front Wheel: Fulcrum Racing 7
Rim: -
Spokes: -
Hub: -
Tube: Vittoria Butyl Ultralite
Tire: Vittoria Rubino 700x23

Back Wheel: Fulcrum Racing 7
Rim: -
Spokes: -
Hub: -
Tube: Vittoria Butyl Ultralite
Tire: Vittoria Rubino 700x23

Accessories: Garmin Edge 705, x2 Bontrager Cages

Weight:
Dunno??

So I sold my BeOne Storm to my brother and he is very happy with it.

I treated myself to the Ribble and I like it very much. I wouldn't say there is a night and day difference between this and my old bike. The Ribble has a shorter wheelbase so it definately has livelier handling, I notice this more when riding with my hands off the bars ie when taking off arm warmers etc.

I notice that the ride is smoother with the carbon frame and the bike doesn't clatter over road imperfections as much as the ally framed BeOne. My old bike had Shimano 105 and I'm still getting used to the Campag shifters.

The Campy brakes feel a lot stronger than the Shimano's.

I'm no expert on these things but I reckon a lighter set of wheels would make a big difference to the bike. Don't get me wrong the Racing 7's are fine and I really like the loud clicking freewheel.

I got measured up for a Spesh Toupe today and will be getting one at some point, the Charge Spoon is half inched from my MTB.

I was, as a lot of people are/were torn between the Ribble and the Planet X. I was slightly dubious about using Ribble from the horror stories I read on here, but I found them to be fine. Not the most chatty on the phone but they were helpful and the bike came quicker than originally estimated.

All in all I am very happy with my new bike and would recommend it wholeheartedly.

Cheehee

Comments

• Very nice looking bike! I've been considering a Ribble myself, the Gran Fondo but was concerned, as you were, about some of the stories floating around....but your experience sounds a positive one.

Lovely Bike!
  • cheehee
    Very nice looking bike! I've been considering a Ribble myself, the Gran Fondo but was concerned, as you were, about some of the stories floating around....but your experience sounds a positive one.

Lovely Bike!

Thanks CD.

That Gran Fondo is a lovely looking bike.

I think, from what I've read on here. Where Ribble fall down on customer service is on returns etc.......

Cheehee
  • EX DH
    EX DH Posts: 194
    If you can get your hands on one! Ive been waiting since november!
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Nice.

You quite tall or what?
  • cheehee
    jim453 wrote:
    Nice.

You quite tall or what?

Cheers Jim. I'm a manly 6'3"
  • S0rin
    S0rin Posts: 106
    How long did it take for your bike to arrive?
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    Nice bike mate. !! I got the Gran Fondo in feb this year. No problems with ribble at all.

Same wheels as you. I got ultegra tho. wanted tripple chainset for hills (16% grade hills)

If campag did a tripple chainset ive have got that.
  • cheehee
    How long did it take for your bike to arrive?

I phoned Ribble up to ask them how long it would take and to discuss some other things. They told me it would take about a month as they were out of stock of the Campag groupset. It actually took just over a fortnight to arrive which was nice.
    Nice bike mate. !! I got the Gran Fondo in feb this year. No problems with ribble at all.

Same wheels as you. I got ultegra tho. wanted tripple chainset for hills (16% grade hills)

If campag did a tripple chainset ive have got that.

Thanks Karl, I'm chuffed with it. Have you posted up pics of the Gran Fondo? If not why not?? :wink:

Cheehee
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    I took a pic of my bike the other night and realised ive lost the USB cable that goes from Camera to comp. So im screwed untill i get another. :(
  • alkaseltsa
    alkaseltsa Posts: 11
    Light (and stiff) wheels make a hube... HUGE difference to a bike. In 2002 i was upgrading my CAAD 4, initial upgrades like bars and stuff made no difference at all in performance (obviously) and even upgrading from 105 to Dura-Ace (9 speed in those days) made some but not enough to justify £650!! However, when i upgraded the wheels from Mavic CXP 23's to Mavic Ksyrium SSC's the difference was immense!! Not only the weight saving (which is a big factor when the wheels are spinning) but most notable in my experience and particularly in this instance was how much quicker they accellerate.... Phenominal difference and only £435 at the time!! The CAAD 4 has long since gone but i still use Mavic Ksyrium SSC (ES version at the mo) but may try the racing Zero's... I fancy trying out the road tubeless option....
    Anyhoo... I'm babbling!! :roll: Nice bike mate and yeah, wheels are the best place to start any upgrade.
  • leeroy72
    leeroy72 Posts: 330
    Nice bike mate....13/29? I bet it climbs well?
    Find your limits...and then exceed them frequently
  • Molloy
    Molloy Posts: 7
    I know it's over a year since you posted this - but, I've just ordered myself one of these beauties, and was searching for pictures - your spec is almost exactly the same as mine! I'm in that agonising period between ordering and delivery with Ribble - ordered on 28th June, delivery estimated for 19th July.

Anyway, was just wondering, a year on, how you've found the bike - what about the centaur groupset and fulcrum 7 wheels? any negatives?

thanks for posting the pics and detailed spec - it does look gorgeous!

Cheers
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Thats a nice looking bike that the company bought from a frame seller on the internet and paid someone £5.50 an hour to put stickers on :wink:
  • Brommers76
    Brommers76 Posts: 234
    @brin - and your point is...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Brommers76 wrote:
    @brin - and your point is...

See the Ribble Stealth thread!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dp_1410
    dp_1410 Posts: 168
    nice bike mate

out of interest where did you get the stand for it? been looking everywhere and cant seem to find one

cheers
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    dp_1410 wrote:
    nice bike mate

out of interest where did you get the stand for it? been looking everywhere and cant seem to find one

cheers

OP hasn't posted for over a year but you can get the stands at Edinburgh Cycle Co-op (which is where OP's is from) or Halfords amongst others. They are quite handy!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dp_1410
    dp_1410 Posts: 168
    thats great cheers Rolf F