Stem adjustment advice please

Macster1
Macster1 Posts: 122
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I have a 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; I was out on a longish ride last weekend (15 miles) and noticed a creak from the handlebar area - really became irritating!

A friend suggested it was probably the headset so I loosened the two allen bolts on the neck and turned the top one in a bit, not hard or tight but a small adjustment. Now, I haven't been out again to test it, that'll be tomorrow, but I was wondering what how tight I should do up the 2 bolts on the neck? I did them up a bit tighter - by feel - than they were when I undid them initially so figure they are okay, but I wondered if they should be done up to a certain poundage or torque (Nm?), and also what poundage would that equate to? (I have a torque wrench from my days with a motorbike which is smallish and should do the trick). Or should I get my LBS to check it?

Probably no need but thought I'd ask the experienced :)

Thanks in advance, just don't want to go out and have the stem or something come apart!

Baz
Rockhopper Pro Disc 2009 :D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Check the surfaces are all clean. Most stems have the required torque printed on them.

The creak maybe something else though, like headset.
  • Macster1
    Sorry, I meant headset, not stem!

Edited in original post

thanx
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read the info on Parktools?

undo the stem clamping bolts and preload the bearings with the top cap bolt. tighten the stem bolts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    While the stem is used to finalise the headset adjustment ie lock it in place, it is separate from the bearings and cups. So the noise could be them.

Most stem bolts are 6nm.

The top bolt is to adjust the headset.

Check the face plate bolts where the bar sits too.
  • Macster1
    Okay, thanks guys :)
  • Macster1
    One last question, if I do the bolts up to 9Nm each, I need to convert to Ilbs so is it Nm to inch pound or foot Ilb?

• arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    I've got a Rockhopper of similar vintage which also creaks/clicks annoyingly. I was certain it was the headset, but in fact it's the seatpost(!). Still haven't stopped it, and it's getting to the point of being extremely irritating!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Macster1 wrote:
    One last question, if I do the bolts up to 9Nm each, I need to convert to Ilbs so is it Nm to inch pound or foot Ilb?

http://www.onlineconversion.com/
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown