Wales to Spain

andrew@snowrace
andrew@snowrace Posts: 129
edited May 2010 in Tour & expedition
On june the 5th 3 of us are riding down from Abergavenny to Panticosa in Spain I have a problem I'm hoping you can help with. The bike I am riding down on has no fitting holes for a rack can I mount the rack on the rear squewer or should I clamp it to the frame somehow. will be carrying about 25 kilos as campin on route. cant use a different bike as takin part in the Quebrantahuesos spotive four days after we get there.
Training for the Cycle to Spain and the Quebrantahuesos
www.seeyouinspain.co.uk

Comments

• On june the 5th 3 of us are riding down from Abergavenny to Panticosa in Spain I have a problem I'm hoping you can help with. The bike I am riding down on has no fitting holes for a rack can I mount the rack on the rear squewer or should I clamp it to the frame somehow. will be carrying about 25 kilos as campin on route. cant use a different bike as takin part in the Quebrantahuesos spotive four days after we get there.

I'm sure that I have seen racks that mount onto the seatpost that don't require eyelets on the frame, but whether they will hold 25 kilos is another matter. Think I saw it in Halfords or maye Wigle with a integated rear light, but an online search would throw something up
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    Andrew, I wonder whether your problem could do with an airing on the Workshop section of this forum?

I can't advise about your problem, except that IMO 25 kilos is a massive load.
    T Farr
  • yer gran
    yer gran Posts: 186
    Bob style trailer? Think revolution do one for about £200.
  • tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    Old Man Mountain do a rack that will fit on the skewer. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Old_ ... s-5691.htm There may well be cheaper options which have longer legs that will reach the skewer but a longer skewer may be needed for those.

As others have said, 25kg is an enormous amount for a camping trip. My loaded touring bike weighs barely that. My camping kit comes in at about 12 pounds (I'm english so prefer pounds) and my bag with clothes, tools, watreproofs etc is about the same. So my entire load is 25 pounds versus your projected 25kg.