rear shock stroke?

captainfly
captainfly Posts: 1,001
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Does anyone know if it is possible to extend the stroke of a 200mm rock shox ario or monarch from 50/51mm to 57mm? I don't know how different they are or if they are pretty much the same but the shorter version is restricted.

I am still having a 'mare getting hold of a 200x57mm (end of june is the earliest date with no memtion of price) before anyone says just get the right size to start with but if they know where to get either an ario or monarch in the right size with lockout they by al means.
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Mongoose Teocali
Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    talk to TFtuned but i think not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • captainfly
    Have spoken to them about the right sized one but it is a case of waiting. I was hoping there was a quick, easy and much cheaper option.
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    but surely a 200 i2i with a 50 stroke lengthened to 57 wont equal a 200/57 it will be a 207/57?

what is the actual size that you need? You could go for a longer stroke in a longer i2i on the basis that under normal loads, if you get it right the compressed length will be around the same.

SO a 200/50 needs to be shorter by 3.5mm (the avg) to give the same net i2i at each of the different compressed positions.

Or it will be pretty much fine if you increase your static sag by about 5-6%

I'm not entirely sure that this isn't b****x btw
  • captainfly
    I was aking incase the 50mm stroke had a longer stop or something to restrict it, if the 50mm shared the same body and shaft as the 57mm but had a restricted compression storke by 7mm due to a spacer or stop, as this would surely cut manufacturing costs, like the all travel forks.
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

• diy
    Not if the i2i is the same. I just fitted a fox float RP23 in a 200/57 to replace my 195/50 usable difference in length is 1.5mm (typical range) and 3.5mm peak. So for me I was going to run 5-10PSI lighter.

To be honest the RP23 is a generation apart from my 8 year old RL.
  • captainfly
    diy wrote:
    Not if the i2i is the same. I just fitted a fox float RP23 in a 200/57 to replace my 195/50 usable difference in length is 1.5mm (typical range) and 3.5mm peak. So for me I was going to run 5-10PSI lighter.

To be honest the RP23 is a generation apart from my 8 year old RL.

May I ask where you got your RP23 from? As I can't find any in 200x57mm and it may well be another option, thanks
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

• diy
    Sorry they are out of stock too...
    http://squarewheels.cubecycles.co.uk/in ... -2010.html

I bought a 2009 for £230

I've never used them before - seem a bit mum and pop shop, but communication was good and item arrived quickly.. Plus the price was the best I could find and given the age of my frame - I didn't care about it being an 09.

I think the diff between the 09 and 10 is boost valve.

But if you are willing to pay a little more there seem a few around...
    www.rutlandcycling.com
    www.allterraincycles.co.uk

I haven't given it a hammering yet, but so far I like it.
  • captainfly
    For near on £300 I'd rather wait and get a top end RS monarch from TE (or even a fox rp23 from them). Thanks anyway, I'll just have a dammit moment for the ario2.2 200x50 I could get for £100 or Monarch 3.3 for £140.
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

• diy
  • captainfly
    Yeah I've seen that before, thanks :wink: But I'm not in desperate need, it is more of a want thing and would rather get prety close to what I want first time rather than wish I'd gone the extra distance. And after todays ride I am thinking of blowing my budget and going for a monarch 4.2.
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0