red lights = stop

nomoreexcuses
nomoreexcuses Posts: 118
edited May 2010 in The bottom bracket
Who here rides through a red light? or setoff before the lights have changed?

Own up!

I stop at a red light. If a cyclist passes me, i know they going through the red light.

The last straw(prompted me to post)
Recently, one guy, realised he couldn't get across a crossroads due to traffic, in desperation grabbed the railing barrier, to save himself at the last second.

It infuriates me, i seen lots do it, in the short time i taken up cycling. Next time i see one do it, i going to have words.

Why do you do it?? You gain nothing. Next time STOP!

You making it worse for cyclists.

Comments

• Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Have a look on the Commuter part of the boards matey. RLJing is a favourite topic :wink:
    Then post about helmet wearing and watch the boards flame :lol:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I jumped a red light the other day on an empty ped crossing. I'm going to burn in hell :(
  • I don't run red lights but if I were to play devil's advocate, I'd ask where are there any red lights that were installed because of cyclists? Although I stop, I do so mostly because I don't want to appear like an irresponsible cyclist. However, I'm acutely aware that red lights are for 99% of the time only there to stop and regulate other vehicles - bikes are only caught up and held up within it.

The only time I like stopping is at zebra crossings. I do so as visibly as I can so that traffic has to follow suit or deliberately ignore that fact that traffic (well, me) is stopping to let someone cross. This infuriates drivers as much as red light jumping. And the pedestrian often will give you a smile of acknowledgement because your face is nearly always nearer and more visible than the driver behind a windscreen. I do this out of spite for the other 99% of times that I'm forced to stop because of motorised traffic's inability to safely share the road.
  • No, because if i'm in team kit it means I have the names and logos of about 5 local business' on my bike. I've told off team mates before because ultimately you're representing someone.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    No, because if i'm in team kit it means I have the names and logos of about 5 local business' on my bike. I've told off team mates before because ultimately you're representing someone.

+1.
    I don't want my club getting a bad reputation.

(Hence why all the choppers aren't allowed to wear team colours to races :twisted: )
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    No, because if i'm in team kit it means I have the names and logos of about 5 local business' on my bike. I've told off team mates before because ultimately you're representing someone.

I saw a guy who I knew was Trek employee - Trek bike, full Astana kit, seen him pull out of the distribution centre on his bike previously (we must share a similar journey home from work). Anyway, only a few hundred yards from the Trek distribution centre there's a junction with lights and i watched him sail through while the lights were red.

I sent an e-mail to them suggesting that if he wants to RLJ they might want to suggest he doesn't do it in full Trek regalia so close to their offices! Never had a reply, so I reckon they probably ignored it!
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Can you imagine how you would feel, driving your car, a 'fellow' cyclist RLJ's and you collide with him/her? would probably affect your riding for years, if not forever?
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Next time i see one do it, i going to have words.

Why would you have words? You wouldn't pull a car driver over for jumping the lights? (Unless you're a copper)

FWIW i don't jump the lights, and it winds me up when cyclist do it, but it's not my place to go chasing them and having a word.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660

It infuriates me, i seen lots do it, in the short time i taken up cycling. Next time i see one do it, i going to have words.

Cycling experience teaches you many things young Skywalker, one of them is not to get too bothered about other road users.

I don't RLJ and have a very low opinion of those that do but if you have words with them you're lilely to get 2 words back the second one will be 'off'

RLJ'ers know what they are, they know its invariably wrong, they know it winds other cyclists and all motorists up but they still do it, you won't make a scrap of difference to them and may end up having a shouting match or a punch up for your trouble.

focus on your own riding and worry about the few mad motorists not the few mad cyclists
  • paul.k
    paul.k Posts: 90
    perhaps homer j should have a blue beacon on his bike :lol:
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    paul.k wrote:
    perhaps homer j should have a blue beacon on his bike :lol:

I'd rather have an RPG :D
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    hammerite wrote:

I saw a guy who I knew was Trek employee - Trek bike, full Astana kit, seen him pull out of the distribution centre on his bike previously (we must share a similar journey home from work). Anyway, only a few hundred yards from the Trek distribution centre there's a junction with lights and i watched him sail through while the lights were red.

I sent an e-mail to them suggesting that if he wants to RLJ they might want to suggest he doesn't do it in full Trek regalia so close to their offices! Never had a reply, so I reckon they probably ignored it!

No they had better things to do than pander to a wally like you.

Get a life mate, or a job as a parkie.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    when I started riding I just found it was easier to obey the rules of the road and stop at lights. Otherwise you have to slow down and almost stop, spend ages looking at the other traffic and what they are going to do and then decide what to do. Seems like it will lead to more problems that stopping for 30 seconds and taking a well earned bit of rest.

What I hate is when i'm knackered and they stay green :D
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I do think it's stupid when you see idiot trying to cross red lights on a very very busy junction.

Other day there was this guy on a royal mail bike, wobbly on the road, went through the read light and tried to cross a busy dual carriage way junction with cars going by at 40+ mph, he had to swerve quickly to the side when a lorry came speeding by. Don't know why they skip them they never get any further, I always end up catching them and getting further than they do.
  • hammerite
    iainment wrote:
    hammerite wrote:

Pander to a wally? I'm not actually fussed about getting a reply. I just felt it was something that I should get off my chest so sent them an e-mail.

The way I see it it's a bit like a company van or lorry with "how's my driving?" on the back. I've never called up, I've never seen any particularly bad driving (or spectacularly good), but I would imagine that the drivers are a lot more conscientious as a result, and the company doesn't have to deal with a tarnished image as a result of poor driving.

What's a parkie? If it pays more I'm interested :wink:
  • iainment
    hammerite wrote:
    iainment wrote:
    hammerite wrote:

Pander to a wally? I'm not actually fussed about getting a reply. I just felt it was something that I should get off my chest so sent them an e-mail.

The way I see it it's a bit like a company van or lorry with "how's my driving?" on the back. I've never called up, I've never seen any particularly bad driving (or spectacularly good), but I would imagine that the drivers are a lot more conscientious as a result, and the company doesn't have to deal with a tarnished image as a result of poor driving.

What's a parkie? If it pays more I'm interested :wink:

Park keeper.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Spoony Man
    Spoony Man Posts: 132
    When it comes to RLJ I judge the situation!

e.g. Busy Junction = stop

Empty Pedestrian Crossing (clear on both sides of the pavement) = go... especially at a particular ped crossing at the bottom of a dip, I want to carry my speed!
    <hr>

www.spoony-man.co.uk - the king of all sites (honest)
  • hammerite
    iainment wrote:

Park keeper.

Ah. Like the idea of working outside, but I doubt it pays as much, the hay fever might be a bit of a nightmare too. Besides I wouldn't have access during the day to a computer write and send off e-mails when I feel disgruntled. :wink:
  • iainment
    hammerite wrote:
    iainment wrote:

Park keeper.

Ah. Like the idea of working outside, but I doubt it pays as much, the hay fever might be a bit of a nightmare too. Besides I wouldn't have access during the day to a computer write and send off e-mails when I feel disgruntled. :wink:

but you could spend your time telling people off for petty infringements.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • hammerite
    I could, but I'd rather try and help a companies brand image, and maybe help their employees to decrease their risk of death. With cyclists RLJing it's the motorist who happens to knock them off their bike I feel most sorry for.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Riding through red lights without a helmet on causes climate change!!

And that's a fact! :evil:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    For me, RLJing is on a par with poor sentence construction and confused verb tenses.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • paul.k
    paul.k Posts: 90
    if you are on the road you should obay the rules of the road that way cyclist get more respect from other road users
    i hate to see cyclists on the pavement ,jumping red lights ,riding at night with no lights ,
    and the general lack of consideration from some cyclist that get us all tarred with the same brush
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I always stop at red lights, although there is one set that always seems to turn red just as I hit 30mph coming in to Leighton Buzzard past the train station. If it stays green I can blast through a junction and round a small roundabout which makes a fun bit of town riding. Invariably I have to come to a sharp stop then lift the back wheel and change chainrings while stationary to allow a decent pull off. Annoying end to a fun ride
  • Av it
    Av it Posts: 105
    taxi racing requires rlj. And its gods work, the voices make me do it
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I jump one on the commute to work at 5am on a weekend morning. RH junction I go straight on, no road/traffic to left and i can see any traffic waiting o the right, although there never is any. Just do this to save time and keep momentum. If I saw traffic then I would stop. I think it is a risk assessment constantly when you are riding, especially commuting, you take the risk, prepare to take the flak from a fcuk up. I'm a big boy, I will decide what to do. :wink:
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Anonymous
    Aggieboy wrote:

Rats. that song is in my head now and will be all the way home in the morning, over and over. :(
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    dmclite wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

Rats. that song is in my head now and will be all the way home in the morning, over and over. :(

May Billy O whisper the words in your ear at every traffic light. Safe jouney home, especially as you'll be tired. I'm off to bed now :lol::wink:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Anonymous
    Aggieboy wrote:
    dmclite wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

May Billy O whisper the words in your ear at every traffic light. Safe jouney home, especially as you'll be tired. I'm off to bed now :lol::wink:

He will, ohh yes he will. Mind you its not as catchy as carribean queen.