Preventing Internal Frame Corrosion

KonaKurt
KonaKurt Posts: 720
edited May 2010 in MTB general
i got chatting to a mechanical engineer about mountain biking and in particular hardtail bikes, such as mine. He told me that even with Aluminum frames, internal corrosion can occur over time, especially if like mine, your frame has any small 'airflow holes' pre drilled in the frame, to allow the material to 'breathe' (most Kona hardtail frames have these holes). He also mentioned that it is possible to protect internal frameset surfaces from a risk of corrosion or deterionation, by using a simple technique of injecting a foamy substance inside the frameset, in a simular way to how your cavity walls are done to your house.

Anyone got any idea what he was on about? He wasn't exsactly sober as he told me this, so not sure if I should beleive it!

KK.

Comments

• abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    I thought aluminium wasnt that badly affected with corrosion.

Something to do with a layer of oxidised aluminium forms on top and protects under it
  • KonaKurt
    Abarth, that's what I thought too. But he might have been talking more long term, say over 20 years or so.

Anyone heard of any such treatment?

KK.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Wouldn't bother, in 20 years, you'll more than had your moneys worth.... The "airflow for breathing"? WHAT??? So air can escape during the welding process.... I think your engineer is talking BS myself. There are waxy treatments for steel frames, but even they dont suffer badly enough to worry about either.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    It's not a significant risk. You're far more likely to crack a weld, break a tube, ruin a chainstay because of chainsuck etc than rust a frame from the inside.
  • amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    when I did material selection at uni, the lecturer showed us an example of salt corrosion on an aluminium seat post,

someone had put tape on the post to mark the height, dirty water had gotten trapped under the tape, water evaporated and the salt corroded the post, resulting in it snapping,
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    amt27 wrote:
    when I did material selection at uni, the lecturer showed us an example of salt corrosion on an aluminium seat post,

someone had put tape on the post to mark the height, dirty water had gotten trapped under the tape, water evaporated and the salt corroded the post, resulting in it snapping,

did the Lecturer state the time scale of this?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Uncle Peter
    Uncle Peter Posts: 324
    ratty2k wrote:
    Wouldn't bother, in 20 years, you'll more than had your moneys worth.... The "airflow for breathing"? WHAT??? So air can escape during the welding process.... I think your engineer is talking BS myself. There are waxy treatments for steel frames, but even they dont suffer badly enough to worry about either.

I think the holes are for allowing hot air/welding gases to to escape during welding? The heat makes the air expand wich I guess they believe could damage/weaken the frame/weld.
  • I thought the aluminium oxide formed a protective layer preventing further oxidation taking place. So as long as you don't keep polishing the inside of your tubes you should be okay.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    nicklouse wrote:
    amt27 wrote:

did the Lecturer state the time scale of this?

can't remember, probably a number of years, I used to do that same myself
  • I recently got my hands on an alu frame and there's visible corrosion around the mounting holes - bottle cages etc. I'm not worried about it, but it is there. It's about 6 years old.

Generally steel (cro-mo) doesn't corrode either, if you look after it well. It used to be well regarded for that, before the days of alu...but it does corrode.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k wrote:

I think the holes are for allowing hot air/welding gases to to escape during welding? The heat makes the air expand wich I guess they believe could damage/weaken the frame/weld.

Not a welder by trade, but can weld as part of my job, I think the hot gasses will blow through the pool of hot metal on closed end tubes, not good...
    My Pics !

• KonaKurt
    I just found out that the 'engineer' I was talkingto beforehand, is in fact a retired plumber!! He knows nothing about bikes at all, so ignore his suggestion about internal protection.

Personally I agree, that worrying about breaking the frame or it's welds is more a concern. Besides, most framesets come with a 'lifetime' guarentee, don't they? And as for injecting a substance inside a frameset, surely it will eventually ooze back out making a right old mess in the process!??

Depending on the exact alloy and grade of aluminium, salt can corrode it within a few years, but I generally avoid saltwater and coastal areas anyway.

KK.
  • ratty2k
    :lol: Engineers, all bollox. I'm a fitter and have spent twenty odd years fixing engineers feck ups.
    My Pics !

• forcutty
    forcutty Posts: 1,055
    ratty2k wrote:
    :lol: Engineers, all bollox. I'm a fitter and have spent twenty odd years fixing engineers feck ups.
    Machinists say the same thing about fitters and designers :wink:
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    ratty2k wrote:
    ratty2k wrote:

Not a welder by trade, but can weld as part of my job, I think the hot gasses will blow through the pool of hot metal on closed end tubes, not good...

Yup, bloody annoying too. Also having the holes prevents pressure build up in the tube which can weaken the weld even if it doesn't pop!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Based on my own experience all I can say is that most of engineers are so highly qualified experienced and knowledgeable, that when it comes to such simple things like bikes, they become strangely confused and as a result they talk gibberish.
  • KonaKurt
    Barteos wrote:
    Based on my own experience all I can say is that most of engineers are so highly qualified experienced and knowledgeable, that when it comes to such simple things like bikes, they become strangely confused and as a result they talk gibberish.

I completely agree, and notice this alot. Cycle technology seems to be utterly pointless and overdone I dare say, in the eyes of many engineers. I also dare say that for many non-cyclists, cycling technology is 'pointless fussing' (as a grumpy member of my family often says to me!).

Mind you, at least my plumber pal had his heart in the right place and genuinely tried to help with a bit of applied science - which is more than many so called bike shops I have visited have bothered to do!!

KK.