If I buy Assos shorts and hate them.....

guilliano
guilliano Posts: 5,495
edited May 2010 in Road buying advice
..... are there any shops online that will give me a refund? I can't afford to spend over £100 just to see if they are any good

Comments

• orbeaorca
    orbeaorca Posts: 246
    guilliano wrote:
    ..... are there any shops online that will give me a refund? I can't afford to spend over £100 just to see if they are any good

They are the dogs bollocks you wont be dissapointed
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I doubt it's even possible to dislike them.
  • guilliano
    Even so....... I don't like the idea of spending that much money on the basis of "the internet people said so"

Bit silly considering I give advice on here regularly, but would still like the option to try
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Wiggle are good for returning stuff - provided that you haven't ridden in them but just tried them on, I'd imagine you could send them back. I can't imagine there's a shop anywhere that you could send them back to if you've tried them in anger.

You WILL like them though - they are as good as they get I think
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • guilliano
    I was also told I'd like the WTB Devo Carbon saddle on my MTB....... I hated the damn thing that left me too sore to ride for a few days after a 12 mile pedal home
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    If you wore them on a ride, then decided you didn't like them... Wash them (nicely) and return them.
    Or, just don't sweat, or leave any traces in the insert! :shock:
    If you wash them, be careful, the reflective trim on the leg gripper does fade rapidly...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    You'd sell them on ebay for almost what you paid.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you don't like them, I'll give you £50 for them. Can you order the white one's please ?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    This is what everyone goes through before spending out 'all that money' on Assos. Once you have bought them and worn them you won't look back and wonder what all the fuss is about. After having Assos, you will feel yourself comparing to other marques, and quite frankly you can't, because none of them are as good as Assos.

You will feel the quality and not your ar$e hurting on your saddle, which btw is such a personal thing, you shouldn't listen to anyone recommending a particular saddle, cos everyone's ar%e is different.

This is one of those times where you have to bite the bullet and buy them. Simple as that.

If you really don't like them after a couple of wears, and this means you will be in the 1% of the world's cyclists, keep the packaging intact and the bags and tags that come with the shorts and Wiggle (if you get them from there), are good on returns as meanredspider says.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Do you lot really send stuff back used?!!

That is bad. For underwear, it is bad bad.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I bought Assos shorts and didn't like them. They were the "Mille" ones with an orange pad (this was a few years ago), discounted slightly at the LBS and although they seemed to fit well in the shop I found I didn't like the pad when I got home. It was too chunky at the front, so prone to putting pressure on the perineum like an over-padded saddle... Personally I prefer serious padding to be restricted to the sit-bone area. But perhaps this was a problem with the Mille model rather than Assos in general, the pad in these shorts is supposedly designed for longer distances and hence is thicker.

Anyway, I'd basically only worn them indoors with underwear underneath so I flogged them on ebay for a decent price...

I like the Campagnolo shorts, ever since they updated the pads (to the red ones) a couple of years ago. The old blue pads were rubbish though...

Also, that weird robotic-looking bloke with the big shades and overly-defined upper body musculature puts me off buying assos. Can't stand the way he's always staring at you out of the page when you're trying to oggle assos girl... :wink:
  • black20vt
    black20vt Posts: 39
    Its ok, they have redesigned the website now, assos man and assos girl now have separate areas so it is safe to 'browse' :lol:
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Am curious...do Assos last any longer then a middle priced brand?

Never tried Assos (though would like to) but if their not going to last any longer then a £60 set are they worth it? A good set of shorts will only last me a year...poss a little longer :-( ...oh thats just wear and not crashing !
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    yes they can do turnerjohn. My last pair of S2s, five years before they started wearing ....
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    turnerjohn wrote:
    Am curious...do Assos last any longer then a middle priced brand?

Never tried Assos (though would like to) but if their not going to last any longer then a £60 set are they worth it? A good set of shorts will only last me a year...poss a little longer :-( ...oh thats just wear and not crashing !

I'm still wearing Assos shorts that I bought in 2004. I was concerned that the lycra might have gone see through by now but my other half assures me it hasn't. I don't buy much Assos kit, as I don't dig the Euro gimp look, but their shorts are definitely worth paying that bit extra for.
  • josborn
    josborn Posts: 13
    Plus they are really got about fixing them. I've had holes sewn up after a crash and new chamois' fitted after coming slightly unstitched, all for the cost of postage to Switzerland
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    josborn wrote:
    Plus they are really got about fixing them. I've had holes sewn up after a crash and new chamois' fitted after coming slightly unstitched, all for the cost of postage to Switzerland

That's a top tip. I only just discovered that Bell would re-line my car racing lid for nothing if I sent it back to them. That's why you buy quality kit.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I bought two pairs of the Assos mille shorts, one yellow and one blue.. Totally overated. Dirt refused to wash out of the yellow pair. In both pairs the insert was badly designed. It had a thinner padded region in the centre between two thicker regions designed for your seat bones. The two thicker regions pinched the flesh in the middle of my perineum giving me the worst saddle sores I've ever had.Everytime I wore these damn shorts, a sore in the exact same place came back, until I eventually figured out why.

I bought some Giordana silverline shorts instead. Half the price, look beter and much more comfortable. I now have three pairs of the Giordanas.

Granted the assos fabics seem to be the best (except that it traps dirt particles), but that is let down by a rubbish insert design.

Morale of the story .. when buying shorts (or any other kit for that matter) always buy one trial pair first. Use them for a month or two before buying more!
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I bought two pairs of the Assos mille shorts, one yellow and one blue.. Totally overated. Dirt refused to wash out of the yellow pair. In both pairs the insert was badly designed. It had a thinner padded region in the centre between two thicker regions designed for your seat bones. The two thicker regions pinched the flesh in the middle of my perineum giving me the worst saddle sores I've ever had.Everytime I wore these damn shorts, a sore in the exact same place came back, until I eventually figured out why.

I bought some Giordana silverline shorts instead. Half the price, look beter and much more comfortable. I now have three pairs of the Giordanas.

Granted the assos fabics seem to be the best (except that it traps dirt particles), but that is let down by a rubbish insert design.

Morale of the story .. when buying shorts (or any other kit for that matter) always buy one trial pair first. Use them for a month or two before buying more!

You are in a minority there. No other shorts that I've tried even come near them for comfort!
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I bought the Mille bibs recently and they are absolutely lovely. Done about 300 miles or so and they are very very nice - comfortable, clean easily and fit really well.

Having said that I have seen them side by side with the new Shutt VR pro bibs owned by a friend and its damn hard to see any difference in the pad (except the cosmetic dimple pattern) and the quality of the stitching and fabric looks amazing - for about £70. I will no doubt need a 2nd pair very soon and will likely get the Shutt versions next. as I have been impressed with the jersey and other bits I have.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...