Jump Bike Project Build

sdalby
sdalby Posts: 139
edited April 2010 in MTB general
I'm planning on building a Jump Bike out of an old 13" Cro-Mo frame i've got lying around. I want something I can just go to the local spot and have a bit of fun on.
Any ideas on parts I should use, fairly cheaply? I was looking to use 24" wheels and single speed, obviously. I would think i'll probably go for rigid forks and only one v-brake at the back.
I'm not sure what sort of chain tensioner I should use cause the bike has got vertical drop-outs.
Never put off until tomorrow something that you can do today. 'Cause if you do it today, and like it, the you can do it again tomorrow!!

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    are you going to run a chainguide? If you are then you can tension the chain with the idler pulley which look really neat with a 1/2 link chain as i've done with my scott.
  • sdalby
    i really don't know if i'll use a chain guide or not. I'm just going to try and build the bike as cheaply as possible. But i've had no experience of single speed bikes in the past and have no idea of the best way to set it up. I'll see what sort of replies i get on here and then decide which is best.
    Never put off until tomorrow something that you can do today. 'Cause if you do it today, and like it, the you can do it again tomorrow!!
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    If the frame is for 26" wheels v's nor canti brakes will reach the rim if you run 24"
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • ride_whenever
    What do you have in your spares box? Old rear mechs tend to work pretty well as chain tensioners for proper budget builds.

Other than that, scour ebay and the classifieds for old kit that is strong and heavy (therefore cheap!) I'd always check hub bearings and use a new bb and headset though.
  • ride_whenever
    thel33ter good spot, did not notice he already had a frame.
  • sdalby
    thel33ter I had thought about that but i think the frame is for 24" anyway. I tried one of my other wheels on it and it seemed very big for it. If I can't use v-brakes then i'll go really experimental and just have a single brake on the front.