Which frame: Wolf Ridge, Meta 5 or Pitch Pro

kenan
kenan Posts: 952
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
Looking to upgrade my current frame (GT I-Drive 5 4.0) and belive the following three are the best options I can afford for a second hand frame. Any advice on the following would be great :)

Wolf Ridge: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 7-09-34045

Commencal Meta 5: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 2-09-19714

Specialized Pitch Pro: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... o-09-33625

Comments

• MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I can recommend my Wolf Ridge, its a weighty beast but so much fun and has taken many sloppy landings without even giving one creak. It's also a very efficient peddler up hill with loads of traction which makes up for some of the weight. The Pitch also seems to get pretty good reviews and is a bit lighter than the wolf ridge but I've never ridden one.

Personally I wouldn't go for a second hand Commencal due to some of their frames cracking (but that could just be internet hearsay).

You don't mention what type of riding you're you doing either so there may be some better options.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • kenan
    I read the Wolf Ridge was weighty, but is that the frame? as I will be using my own parts to build the bike up so this might not be a foctor.

As for riding, I do trail riding but the jumps near to me are getting bigger. My brother in law has the 6.8 wolf ridge (orange thing) and he has done huge road gaps etc on it before getting his session 88 so know it can take the hits.

I took a Norco, Attack Trail 08 and a light weight trek XC full sus out a few years back on a demo day. The Marin was as good downhill as the Norco and as quick up as the Trek but unlike the treck felt stable.

I know I "want" the Marin as can be seen above, just looking at the options :)
  • WOLFRIDGE!!

I had a Pitch which was stolen and upgraded to the Wolfridge as a replacement and can honestly say I have never been happier with a bike. It is so confidence inspiring and lets you get away with a lot more than a flexier frame would. It can take a pounding and is serious amounts of fun, amazing geometry and feels light and whippy on the downhils but isn't a complete killer on the uphill. Obviously their are lighter frames but not half as fun.

BUY ONE!! YOU WONT REGRET IT!!

FYI - I do not work for Marin.
    I wish I was Kenny "F@#king" Powers
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Pitch frames generally seem to sell for too much... Brilliant bikes though. Meta 5 is great and the resale values have taken a pounding because of all the ones that broke, but obviously you want to be very careful what you buy, as it was a problem that only affected certain timescales (there were some incredibly cheap new ones on sale a wee while back but I can't find the link).

Hecklers, if you go for the one with the square swingarm, can be pretty damn cheap and they're so nice to ride...

Wolf Ridge needs a Maxle rear IIRC? I don't know if QR dropouts are available but it's one to watch.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • theblender
    theblender Posts: 201
    Wolf Ridge for all the reasons listed above : rides lighter than weight suggests, loads of mud clearance, super stable on the downhills, agile on the jumps, great fun to ride.

I'm pretty sure Marin do std dropouts as an aftermarket item for the Quad Trail 140 frames.
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    I`d go for a Wolf Ridge too. Don`t buy a Meta 5 unless it`s a 2010 version.
  • kenan
    Northwind wrote:
    Wolf Ridge needs a Maxle rear IIRC? I don't know if QR dropouts are available but it's one to watch.

My superstar wheels have adapters for the maxle ;)
  • kenan
    supersonic wrote:
    Keep the GT lol.

I knew you'd say that. If I keep my GT Team Bravardo LE will the GT gods let me live?

2 Weeks ago I had 3 GT's, might only have one in 2 weeks time . .

I think its a vote for the Marin. I'v found a frame in near mint condition frame and will be a nice little project for me as not put a bike together before.
  • heavy_rat
    heavy_rat Posts: 264
    get a meta. just avoid 09 frames if you can and you'll be fine.
  • kenan
    2010 Meta frames would be out of my price range, well the wife would kill me more like ;)
  • heavy_rat
    heavy_rat Posts: 264
    lol just don't tell her or buy her some shoes
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I love my wolfridge. With decent parts, it shouldn't be "heavy" either. But it is built to take a hell of a lot of abuse. The suspension action is like nothing else I've ever tried, supple ont he small bumps, but still capable of taking big, big hits.

Make sure you're not excessively heavy though, the shock needs a hell of a lot of air pressure due to it's design, which probably makes it almost unsuitable for 16stone+ riders.
  • kenan
    I love my wolfridge. With decent parts, it shouldn't be "heavy" either.

This is what I was thinking, I'v got some dual air Revelations etc which would help keep the weight fown over the coil pikes fitted as standard.

Make sure you're not excessively heavy though, the shock needs a hell of a lot of air pressure due to it's design, which probably makes it almost unsuitable for 16stone+ riders.

I'm a wopping 12stone so should be ok.
  • kenan
    heavy_rat wrote:
    lol just don't tell her or buy her some shoes

Any more shoes and I'll need a bigger house :lol:
  • Anonymous
    kenan wrote:
    I love my wolfridge. With decent parts, it shouldn't be "heavy" either.

This is what I was thinking, I'v got some dual air Revelations etc which would help keep the weight fown over the coil pikes fitted as standard.
    I've opted for some fox float 36s, which are lighter, stiffer and plusher than the stock pikes.
    I've also stuck my Saint chainset on there, after wrecking the piece of crap that was supplied within 3 rides.

I was going to change the wheels to something heavier duty, but honestly, they've survived so well, I'm just going to wait until they die before replacing them.

The only thing I really want to swap now is the SRAM gear for some Shimano stuff. I've had the bike a while now, and thought I'd get used to SRAM, but I just hate it more and more with each ride. If I was headed to the alps, I'd probably stick some nice, powerful brakes, saints or something on (I've already swapped to 203mm rotors), but I like the green Avid juicies too much to change without reason! GREEN BRAKES! funky :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    What is it you actually want the bike to do? The Idrive's a brilliant trail frame, the Pitch and Wolf Ridge more descent oriented, but it's not so much about better or worse, just different.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    The wolf ridge is definitely more oriented towards descending, it climbs really well, but it's prorities definitely lie in descenging like a demon.
  • kenan
    Northwind wrote:
    What is it you actually want the bike to do? The Idrive's a brilliant trail frame, the Pitch and Wolf Ridge more descent oriented, but it's not so much about better or worse, just different.

I agree the IDrive is great, but wish to do more challanging stuff. I'm really after a burlier all-mountian, only problem is I won't be able to blame the bike anymore :oops:
  • kenan
    Update, got a Marin 6.7 frame and all built. Just need the chance to ride it now . .

DSCF1861.jpg
  • gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    Nice looking Bike mate :D
  • Chivalry
    Chivalry Posts: 48
    im so tempted to get one of the 09 6.7 wolfridges in the sales atm... but then i saw the 34lb weight.... ;0( it got cracking reviews... is 34lb a normal weight for most `all mountain` class bikes or is the 6.7 decidedly heavier than average?
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    34lbs for a 140mm travel trail bike??? :shock: You sure?

My Bullit weighs that and it's 180mm with DH/FR components.
  • Chivalry
    Chivalry Posts: 48
    yoohoo999 wrote:
    34lbs for a 140mm travel trail bike??? :shock: You sure?

My Bullit weighs that and it's 180mm with DH/FR components.

heres the line directly from the review here on bikeradar.. "Ride & handling: Outstanding agility and handling but 34lb is a lot of weight to pedal far"

full review here..http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 7-09-34045

its the 1 thing stopping me snapping 1 up.. :0(
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    To be honest, you'd have been safe with even at 2009 Meta frame, on the remote chance it broke you'll get a 2010 one for free as a replacement.

Poor Commencal did mess up quite a bit with their production factories, a couple broke in 08, they promised they'd sorted it, even more broke in 09, utterly knackering their reputation :( After riding pretty much everything else on the market (including my Mojo), it's the most fun, confidence inspiring bike I've ever been on.

Still, I can see a few other VERY similar companies heading very similar directions at the moment... :?
  • Definitely the pitch, I rode both the wolf ridge and the pitch and chose the pitch in then end. climbs really well and decends even better....Better components aswell
  • kenan
    gonga wrote:
    Nice looking Bike mate :D

Why thank you

The weight issue did make me think twice but since it was frame only knew I could shed a little here and there (lost 1.5lbs on the fork). Spun it round the block lots this morning setting up the saddle, gears etc and it climbs real well. Will report back when I'v had chance to test her down a trail
  • Anonymous
    The marin is built like a tank, but still climbs just fine. It's weighed down as stock by heavy cheap tyres and suchlike.

Kenan, what are those forks? Are they revelations? I swear once you start riding it hard you'll feel the craving for some BIG forks :D:lol:
  • kenan
    Yeah they are revelations and to be honest I think they will last me :)

Below is my brother in-law on his new bike taking a drop which he has also done several times on his Marin so I know it's more bike than I'll ever need :oops:

Oh and the the other guy (John) fails :)

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/123314/
  • Anonymous
    ^^wicked. That's the kind of stuff the overbuilt wolf is made for. People often confuse it with bikes designed for riding round rough trail centres :wink: