Garmin 705

mda100
mda100 Posts: 7
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking of buying a garmin 705 for use off road and on road. Just wondering what people think of it and any experiances of using it for mountain biking and road cycling?

Also does anyone one know a good place to go and buy one/talk to someone that really knows what there on about with these units? as there seems to be a lot of different options and mapping etc. I have been into a couple of bike shops but no one seems to be that clued up on them! I live in gloucestershire but dont mind going further afield for good advice!

Cheers.

Comments

• bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I've got a 705, but I only use it on road.

I love it - I'm sure I'm not using all it's functionality but it does everything I want it to, and it's pretty user-friendly.

For advice, try Garmin UK directly. They have a great customer service team who really know their products.

When it comes to buying one, www.handtec.co.uk tend to be the cheapest around.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I don't think there are that many options. Basically if you're only using it on road then you would want the City Navigator maps, but for offroad navigation you'll need the Topo maps. There are of course the free OSM maps that are getting better all the time, but they're still not complete. It might be worth you trying OSM maps before parting with the cash to buy the Garmin maps.

I have City Navigator, but have been trying these as the rendering is much nicer than the City Navigator. They are mostly complete where I ride.

If you want to use your 705 indoors on a turbo then you'll need the speed/cadence sensor, otherwise you could do without it unless you're interested in cadence.

Handtec are usually the cheapest.
    More problems but still living....