Mendip routes

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited May 2010 in Routes
Can anyone recomend any good routes in the mendip area about 15-20 miles?
I have tried picking out routes on the OS map but seem to pick all the worst bridleways & paths. Not looking for anything too technical or tricky but interesting & with some nice views.

Comments

• handful
    handful Posts: 920
    There's some great stuff on the Mendips. I usually start from the Swan pub in Rowberrow, straight down the hill and follow along the stream and then start to track up to Beacon Batch. Great views from up there, I think its around 320 metres high there. Passing the hump to your left carry on down the descent that takes you back round to the Limestone Link towards Dolebury Warren, this can be quite challenging if you let the gravity do it's work, mainly due to the ruts that you can get stuck in if you pick the wrong line. There are loads of different options to add distance and don't forget to try some of the downhill sections, you can easily avoid the jumps if you want....like me :lol: . The Christmas tree section blew me away when I tried it first, it's that dark you literally can't see your hand in front of your face for a few seconds...very twisty and bumpy through there but great fun. :wink:
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    http://www.everydaycycling.com/edc/routes/archive_route_993.aspx

There are a few ideas here. We tend to meet at the Crown in Churchill, or at the old garden center at Burrington Coombe. There's plenty of routes to be found, just don't get your hopes up if the weather has been bad - a lot of the Mendips turns into an unrideable bog.