brakes decision - avid or shimano

M6TTF
M6TTF Posts: 602
edited April 2010 in MTB general
got a new bike coming in a week or so - it's got XT disc brakes fitted which I'm led to believe are very good? However i'm a big fan of the elixirs fitted to my other bike and am considering selling off the XT's as soon as I get it to buy some elixirs... My thought being that having the same brakes on both bikes will good for familiarity.

How do they compare? - should I give the XT's a chance ? If I keep them does it mean another bleed kit to purchase?

Comments

• JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    keep the xt's until they need a bleed/need fixing/or new pads then get the elixirs if you really like them, but try the xt's first, you might like them
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Personally, I found the feel of the old single piston Shimano Saint brakes to be very similar to Avids, but with quite a bit more power on tap. XTs are virtually identical.
    Definitely try them first, you may very well find that you get on fantastically well with them.
  • Mawdz19
    Mawdz19 Posts: 22
    Currently using Avid Juicy 7's which have a nice progressive feel and very good brakes . Have used XT brakes on a friends bike and they are powerful but less progressive (more of an on / off feel).
    The hills have eyes.
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    I'm also a fan of Elixirs (run them on all 3 of my bikes).

Not had much experience with Shimano brakes for comparison but I cant fault the Elixirs non the less.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    ^ pretty much as Skonk and yeeha say

I have '09 XTR on one bike (similar calliper to '10 XT I think) and Elixir CR on the other

Both are good but if I had to choose one it'd be the Elixir. OTOH, I won't be "upgrading" my XTRs to Elixirs ... am thinking about a set of the Ones though.....
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I don't get on with Avid brakes, but really like the feel of shimano, so guess my answer!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    There is a huge personal pref thing with this type of choice.

What I like about the Elixirs is the progressive nature of the lever pull; I find it very easy to control the braking without locking up the wheels.

Some of the other brands I've had a play with often seem a bit wooden; pulling the lever seems to do nothing for a while and then suddenly bites with a lot of force. Some people prefer it this way but I dont :)
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • I don't get on with Avid brakes, but really like the feel of shimano, so guess my answer!
    +1

Just got my shimano XT's bedded in properly and they're brilliant stoppers.... no regrets at all.
  • Cannon71
    Cannon71 Posts: 92
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Just got my shimano XT's bedded in properly and they're brilliant stoppers.... no regrets at all.

2010 XT's on my Ghost and love them. Bedded in and very good. Not too 'bitey' but progressive enough. (Ø180mm discs).

Had Hope's on an old Orange 5 and these XT's are at least as good as those.
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    what about the bleeding.....
  • Cannon71
    Cannon71 Posts: 92
    Me? I had to swap the hoses (as the bike came straight from Germany so the brakes were the wrong way around) so bled them at the start. Rears might need a touch of adjustment, but otherwise, no worries, easy enough.
    Ah, just read your initial question again: no bleed kit required! There's a simple plate on the levers that comes off with 2 screws to reveal the bath. Crack the caliper bleed nipple (bike the right way up), pump the lever a couple of times and keep the bath topped up.

As long as you don't allow the bath to let air into the port, your system will fill easily.

P.S. I got a bleed-spacer with the brakes to avoid contaminating the pads.
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    If i had the chance to choose again it would be Shimano ... Currently running Elixir 5's and they are great ... When they work :?
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I really like the shimano's I like the feedback and the servowave feature but it's a personal preferance, putting goodridge pads in them really made a difference fwiw