Spoilers

pdstsp
pdstsp Posts: 1,264
edited April 2010 in Pro race
To some of us the "delights" of eurosport highlights are a much looked forward to window on the continental race scene. We may look into the pro race thread on ths forum before we watch these highlights but this is on the basis that anyhting pertaining to the day's racing is suffixed with the word "spoiler". Tonight certain members have delighted in ruining the pleasrue of other members by not doing this and, even worse, by posting threads with titles designed to spoil the enjoyment of others.

These people should be ashamed of themselves.

Comments

• I agree that putting "Rider X wins" is poor form, but you're coming across as a little Distgruntled from Tunbridge Wells writing to the Daily Mail if truth be told
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Oh not another one of these posts.
    If your that bothered then dont look in the pro race forum until after you saw highlights, easy.
  • pdstsp
    Well that's me told.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    pdstsp wrote:
    Well that's me told.

Been said before and will be said again if you dont want to know the result do NOT visit a Pro race forum on the internet. If you do vist a forum and then find out the result then it is your own fault..........its that simple.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • pdstsp
    Jesus - thats me told again.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Ha ha I love how often this exact post crops up. Basically it's goes likethis: someone complains about people not using a spoiler, one set agree , one set disagree or say stop wing uptight and then it comes around again.

Problem is this happens more around tdf time when there are probably more new users or tdf time of year users and they don't know the convention. You then get people who do it on purpose to enable having a go at people getting knickers ina twist.

I guess the big thing is what harm does it do for people to include spoilers etc but you can't account for people who don't know so te old "don't visit pro race if you absolutely don't want to know" thing comes in.

Personally I like to read the action prior to highlights if I haven't watched live to see if it's aomethig not to be missed, certainally doesn't spoil it for me but in other environments I don't visit Lost forums or film discussions where I might risk spoiling those things.
  • pdstsp
    Ok ok ok ok I think I get the picture. Sssssshhhhhhhhhhh now.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    I agree with pdstep on this, despite seeing most of these races live. All it requires is a tiny bit of effort from the forum community. It's a bit of common courtesy really.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Blame the Australian TV moguls of the 70/80's!

They started the live sport 24hrs/paid athletes thing, so give em a good kicking...

Gosh, we send them out to Oz as criminals, and they then turn the tables on us and get us into trouble for saying the Truth....5 mins before you watch it on TV, lol !

And you think that bush fire last year was an accident?
    Anyone wanna but a box of partially used matches/half a gallon of petrol???
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    It's a convention that's worked perfectly well on here until this year and it works elsewhere - veloriders etc.

Nobody is objecting to discussion of the days racing - just don't stick it in the thread title - how does that inconvenience anybody ? Of course occasionally someone who doesn't know the convention will let slip a result - not a big deal - doing it deliberately just seems unnecessary.

Far from the OP coming across as disgruntled of Tunbridge Wells the people he's objecting to come across as toddlers who haven't got past the me me me stage yet.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    I think it is very much the norm for people to put spolier in the title of a results thread and rightly so. What happened yetserday I think was that someone started a thread about Cav's victory salute (rather than the race itself) and didnt really think through that the title kind of gave the result away. The second thread I think - and maybe I'm giving the guy too much credit here - was started in an ironic fashion given that there was already a thread that 'spolit' the result.

I have to say though there is something rather precious about posters getting disgruntled about finding out a result from a Pro-Race discussion forum. If I wanted not to know the result of a race, i just wouldnt come here because discussions can leak out of results spolier threads into other threads and the notion that posters on an internet forum should be constantly checking themselves in case they say someting in the wrong place is ridiculous.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    TBH, I avoid Bikeradar et al completely if I'm trying to avoid seeing the result.

Apart from the other day just before I was about to settle down to watch Liege-Bastogne-Liege recorded in full. Ooops.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    I did the Cav thread because I simply cannot believe people didn't know about it already by the time they got down the detaled level of the Pro Race part of the BikeRadar forum.

Let's state facts: by mid afternoon most major cycling cites (cyclingnews, bikeradar, cyclingweakly, velonews, l'equipe, sporza) as well as the bbc.co.uk sport page had either the picture or headline in big bold. It was huge news because of the gesture hence it got extra emphasis. Someone would have to have a favourite link direct to Road or Pro Race to miss all the other opportunities of seeing it.

It might be cynical but I think at least some complainers are feigning ignorance of the result for sport and the chance to pick on someone on a point of forum behaviour which doesn't have 100% unanimous support either way.

I'm not calling you liars because I don't know for a fact whether you knew Cav won or not. I'm saying look into your heart and ask yourself are you telling the truth, did you really not know or were trolling for sport? Only you know your personal answer to this.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • So let me get this straight, if I start a new thread I'm supposed to put "spoiler" if it contains a race result, but how do I know if someone else might add a result later on? Isn't Pro Race enough of a giveaway? Maybe I'll just put "spoiler" on all threads, just in case...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Look - everyone agrees that using **Spoiler** in thread titles is the correct and polite thing to do.

Unfortunately, not EVERYONE on here is familiar with that convention and occasionally starts a thread that alludes to the day's results (or blatantly gives them away) without the correct spoiler title.

It's not done on purpose and it doesn't happen all that often.

But whining about it like a little girl if it DOES happen really doesn't do much to help your cause.

Suck it up and move on. It's just one day. There's 100 more days of racing to look forward to still. It's not like it was giving away the World's result or something important, now, is it?
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Pokerface wrote:
    It's not done on purpose and it doesn't happen all that often.

But whining about it like a little girl if it DOES happen really doesn't do much to help your cause.

Suck it up and move on. It's just one day. There's 100 more days of racing to look forward to still. It's not like it was giving away the World's result or something important, now, is it?

I agree with you
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I did the Cav thread because I simply cannot believe people didn't know about it already by the time they got down the detaled level of the Pro Race part of the BikeRadar forum.

Let's state facts: by mid afternoon most major cycling cites (cyclingnews, bikeradar, cyclingweakly, velonews, l'equipe, sporza) as well as the bbc.co.uk sport page had either the picture or headline in big bold. It was huge news because of the gesture hence it got extra emphasis. Someone would have to have a favourite link direct to Road or Pro Race to miss all the other opportunities of seeing it.

It might be cynical but I think at least some complainers are feigning ignorance of the result for sport and the chance to pick on someone on a point of forum behaviour which doesn't have 100% unanimous support either way.

I'm not calling you liars because I don't know for a fact whether you knew Cav won or not. I'm saying look into your heart and ask yourself are you telling the truth, did you really not know or were trolling for sport? Only you know your personal answer to this.

Why would people be trolling ? It's an established courtesy to avoid spoilers that has worked on here for a few years and works elsewhere. How long have you been posting here ?

Yes if you decide to look at cyclingnews or something you expect to find out the result but not on here. If it's accidental that's not a problem - I've never jumped down anyone's throat for accidentally giving away a result but to do it just to goad people who have recorded the race is bad manners.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    So let me get this straight, if I start a new thread I'm supposed to put "spoiler" if it contains a race result, but how do I know if someone else might add a result later on? Isn't Pro Race enough of a giveaway? Maybe I'll just put "spoiler" on all threads, just in case...

If you start a thread that specifically discusses the result of a race (on the same day as the race occurred - before the usual evening TV highlights) - then yes, you SHOULD put spoiler in the title. And putting the race result in the thread title (in the case of "Cav wins today and flips off crowd"-type posts) is even worse.

If you start a thread about sprinting styles and in the course of the discussion the topic turns to Cav and how he won that day and flipped off the crowd - then you can't be blamed.

It's just common practice to try and avoid giving away the obvious stuff.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I just wish those that do put *Spolier* in their thread titles can get round to spellchecking some time this century... :cry:
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833

"Let's state facts" "If you look into your heart"

It's a fact that you'd contributed earlier to another thread on the same subject without the give away subject line. So you didn't post this thread to discuss the issue, simply posted it to pi$$ people off who didn't want to know the result in advance. I've been on these forums for several months now without bumping into results. Most people have the courtesy to use SPOILER, it's really not difficult is it? So if you look into your heart for the truth won't you find that you really posted it just to be obnoxious?
  • pdstsp
    Well said dougzz. As the person, disguntled of tunbridge wells or otherwise, who started this thread I can assure you I did not know the result and am not trolling. I think the second thread started yesteday aimed at pi55ing people off was just an act of discourtesy.

However I take that point that it is probably worth avoiding the prorace forum on the day of a race if one wants to avoid the result, I just don't understand what pleasure certain people drive from their actions.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Hmmm... I'm on the disgruntled side of this.

Maybe I don't want to avoid the forum - for example, I want to discuss the progress of G-W 'live', and laugh as Iain predicts the finale hilariously wrong *again*, but am at the same time recording a stage of Pays - Basque to watch later. So why should I be denied the pleasure of contributing to a race thread, or watching a stage of something else 'as live' cos someone else can't be @rsed avoiding spoilers in the title of a thread? Not too much to ask is it?

Clearly, some people don't know the drill, and that's fine, accidents happen. But doing it deliberately FFS?

Strava is not Zen.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    calvjones wrote:
    Hmmm... I'm on the disgruntled side of this.

Maybe I don't want to avoid the forum - for example, I want to discuss the progress of G-W 'live', and laugh as Iain predicts the finale hilariously wrong *again*, but am at the same time recording a stage of Pays - Basque to watch later. So why should I be denied the pleasure of contributing to a race thread, or watching a stage of something else 'as live' cos someone else can't be @rsed avoiding spoilers in the title of a thread? Not too much to ask is it?

Clearly, some people don't know the drill, and that's fine, accidents happen. But doing it deliberately FFS?

To be fair, that's almost always me.
  • calvjones
    Oh, yeah, my bad :wink:

Strava is not Zen.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    The game was up when I did my post if you look at the time. Get your facts straight.

If you watch pro racing jsut for the results why waste your time with hours of footage? Just look at the results. Or come here and read the threads on it.

But only you know the answer to that deep down. I'm not buying your fake grand-standing.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • calvjones
    The game was up when I did my post if you look at the time. Get your facts straight.

If you watch pro racing jsut for the results why waste your time with hours of footage? Just look at the results. Or come here and read the threads on it.

But only you know the answer to that deep down. I'm not buying your fake grand-standing.

I didn't understand any of that. Sorry.

I come here to discuss stuff which may be unrelated to the results of a race I want to watch later. Why is that so hard to understand?

Strava is not Zen.
  • pdstsp
    I think fransjacques may be the troll :lol: