89 Worlds

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited April 2010 in Pro race
Rewatched the DVD of this last night and was amazed to see a certain Gianni Savio appear in shot at one point.

He gets everywhere.

Belter of a race! I never tire of watching the final lap.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Yeah, but the wrong guy won. That was the King's last real chance.

And the women's champion is STILL going.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    me too Iainf, was clicking through youtube clips...cracking battle last time up the hill...to be fair Greg Lemond blew Kelly and Bauer away last time up the climb with Kelly regaining on the descent and even gapped Fignon over the top...the best guy definitely won that day. Kelly won loads, the lack of a World RR champs doesn't harm him...but Lemond needed it
  • Timoid. wrote:

Not really. Kelly, who was probably the best sprinter out of that group, couldn't get round Lemond, so I'd say he deserved it.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • dave_1
    Timoid. wrote:

Not really. Kelly, who was probably the best sprinter out of that group, couldn't get round Lemond, so I'd say he deserved it.
    Greg shed Kelly on the climb and only the descent saved kelly otherwise he'd not have even been there to get beaten in the sprint. The best rider won...or perhaps not...Fignon animated the race on that last lap..Lemond bridging up...he always left it to Fignon
  • mandie
    mandie Posts: 218
    Timoid. wrote:

I have read that Kelly had a 13 sprocket on the bike where as Lemond had a 12. Kelly later regretted this but was quoted as saying that he didn't think he would need a 12.
    We\'ll kick against the darkness \'till it bleeds daylight
  • The story goes that Kelly fitted a 13t sprocket to the rear as a 12t would not be needed. He reckoned that on such a tough course there would be no bunch/group sprint. He still has trouble talking about that race to this day.

Best worlds ever though!
  • dave_1
    mandie wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

I have read that Kelly had a 13 sprocket on the bike where as Lemond had a 12. Kelly later regretted this but was quoted as saying that he didn't think he would need a 12.

Kelly's great years were 84-88...he was heading into mid 30s by 89 and was no contest for the 5 years younger Lemond and Fignon when they put the hammer down on the climbs. Steve Bauer was perhaps the most unlucky that day and was much nearer Lemond and Fignon at the top of the last climb than kelly...the 13 thingy...Kelly was lucky to have been there to contest the finish and Konychev who had been away for 80 miles of something still beat him
  • dave_1
    The story goes that Kelly fitted a 13t sprocket to the rear as a 12t would not be needed. He reckoned that on such a tough course there would be no bunch/group sprint. He still has trouble talking about that race to this day.

Best worlds ever though!

Kelly also said Rooks let him down in the lead out, they had an agreement. The 13 as well. Review on youtube. Great battle
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Timoid. wrote:

Do you think I care who deserved to win?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.