This just beats me....

hopper1
hopper1 Posts: 4,389
edited May 2010 in The bottom bracket
Check this for shear stupidity :shock:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1269257/Man-sailing-round-UK-using-road-map-circling-Isle-Sheppey-Kent-coast.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I can't believe this could actually happen!
And, the dizzy fcuker had the neck to ask for directions, so he could carry on!
Surely there should be a law against this sort of behavior, people risk their lives to rescue these idiots. :evil:
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Isn't there some guy who's been rescued on several occasions having set off to sail to Ireland or France or wherever armed only with the map in his pocket diary?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I have navigated round the Hebrides using a road atlas - easy if visibility is good and you actually look at the map
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    ... except he didn't realise Sheppey was an Island.

He's a fuck1ng dick.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • hopper1
    Ben6899 wrote:
    ... except he didn't realise Sheppey was an Island.

He's a fuck1ng dick.

He should have been billed for the cost of calling out the Lifeguard!
  • Westerberg
    Westerberg Posts: 652
    good on him I say. There should be more reckless and spontaneous behaviour, especially if it winds up Mail readers.
  • hopper1
    Westerberg wrote:
    good on him I say. There should be more reckless and spontaneous behaviour, especially if it winds up Mail readers.

Not a Mail reader!... The t!t is on national news :roll:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'm all for winding up Daily Hate Mail readers, but if that bloke didn't know Sheppey is an island then he's still - and I quote myself - "a fuck1ng dick".
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    I remember a few years ago, a guy attempted to navigate using a picture on a beer mat from the pub.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    The lack of rules on boat usage is staggering when you consider the consequences and costs of sorting out anything that goes wrong. I want to get a boat at some point but won't be doing it until I complete a YHA course. However, I could just go out and buy an ocean going vessel (if I had the money!) and try taking across the Atlantic with no previous experience.
  • Makes me want to navigate to work tomorrow using some nautical charts and a sextant; after all I shall be riding from Monmouth to Ross along the banks of the Wye..
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    natural selection...

I'll be buying a boat of some description when i finish my phd, living on the river, coaching rowing and working in a bike shop... sounds pretty pukka to me!
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    what a cunnt
  • This is not quite as dumb as MacDonalds car parking regulations now run by MET. If you return to macs within a 90 minute period you get fined for £50 What a ridiculous anti-sales move. It's such a dumb move, I'm going to Burger King from now on. Arsess.
  • hopper1
    This is not quite as dumb as MacDonalds car parking regulations now run by MET. If you return to macs within a 90 minute period you get fined for £50 What a ridiculous anti-sales move. It's such a dumb move, I'm going to Burger King from now on. Arsess.

Why would you want to return to MacD's within 90 minutes?
    Unless you intend to just abuse their carpark area, and do your shopping, etc... :oops:

Probably why they have started this scheme. :wink:
  • hopper1 wrote:
    This is not quite as dumb as MacDonalds car parking regulations now run by MET. If you return to macs within a 90 minute period you get fined for £50 What a ridiculous anti-sales move. It's such a dumb move, I'm going to Burger King from now on. Arsess.

Unless you intend to just abuse their carpark area, and do your shopping, etc... :oops:

Probably why they have started this scheme. :wink:

Watchdog this evening featured many people who returned legitimately yet still fined them. How many Macdonalds carparks do you know that make good places to go shopping from???
  • hopper1
    My local MacD's is on our local Retail Park!
    It has the only public toilets on the park, too, so gets really abused... :wink:
  • hopper1 wrote:
    My local MacD's is on our local Retail Park!
    It has the only public toilets on the park, too, so gets really abused... :wink:

OK one then! :wink:

but I'll bet that it has a bit of extra trade because of people having to use the loo.....
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Can't see that he was in much danger here. Good vis in the channel betwen Sheppey and the mainland, muddy but not exactly the most lethal part of the world's seaways. I'm with the people who think that we should be allowed to make our own mistakes and take the consequences.

The problem is where does the qualification thing stop. Will we need to pass an exam before we are allowed to walk up Snowdon or any of the Munros or indeed ride a bicyle on or off road? Let's celebrate a bit of nuttiness and stupidity rather than have all this po faced sucking of teeth.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Watchdog this evening featured many people who returned legitimately yet still fined them. How many Macdonalds carparks do you know that make good places to go shopping from???

There's loads! McDonalds frequently have resturant places on or near retail parks in order to take advantage of the extra traffic in the area, the report actualy mentions that they have problems of people parking and shopping or parking and going on holiday (resturants near airports). Makes sence that they would have such a scheme in place. I would imagine though that they have some sort of system of showing if a customer has used the maccys or not. i.e. till reciepts / car park validation and in the report they actualy admit that something went wrong in the case of these customers. New schemes do have teething problems, I doubt they would seek to stop people legitimately comming back, that would just be stupid.

Talking about stupid.....surely that fella in the boat must have twigged something was up when he saw land on either side, or even began to see the same things over and over! Got to have the occasional nutter to brighten up your day!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Pross wrote:
    The lack of rules on boat usage is staggering when you consider the consequences and costs of sorting out anything that goes wrong. I want to get a boat at some point but won't be doing it until I complete a YHA course. However, I could just go out and buy an ocean going vessel (if I had the money!) and try taking across the Atlantic with no previous experience.
    Knowing about youth hostelling won't help you much at sea, the RYA run some good courses though
  • hopper1
    bompington wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Knowing about youth hostelling won't help you much at sea, the RYA run some good courses though

I resisted the urge to point that out!
  • Heh

The world needs village idiots like this guy !!

Imagine how boring and predictable life would be without daft people.

Stories like this brighten my day no end :D

No real harm done, and I kinda like these little events that knock us humans down a peg or two... we are all only.. erm.. human.. after all

Tchao for now...
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    hopper1 wrote:

........quote]

The word refund springs to mind......

Bob
  • hopper1
    beverick wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:

........quote]

The word refund springs to mind......

Bob

:lol::lol::lol::wink:
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    owenlars wrote:
    Can't see that he was in much danger here. Good vis in the channel betwen Sheppey and the mainland, muddy but not exactly the most lethal part of the world's seaways. I'm with the people who think that we should be allowed to make our own mistakes and take the consequences.

The problem is where does the qualification thing stop. Will we need to pass an exam before we are allowed to walk up Snowdon or any of the Munros or indeed ride a bicyle on or off road? Let's celebrate a bit of nuttiness and stupidity rather than have all this po faced sucking of teeth.

Well said sir! :D
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"