What high volume but fast rolling tyres for my Cotic Soul?

Father Faff
Father Faff Posts: 1,176
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
I have so far tried Mountain King 2.2s (quite quick but a bit of a harsh ride due to their relatively low volume) and Maxxis Ardent 2.25s (comfy high volume ride but a bit slow) on my Cotic Soul hardtail.

What I really want is a nice high volume tyre that is fast! I am not so worried about grip as this is my second bike and I tend to use my Commie Meta 5 for more technical riding (though it has to be said that the Cotic is remarkably good on technical stuff!). The Cotic is meant for smoother faster trails and a road/trail commute mix.
Commencal Meta 5.5.1
Scott CR1

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd have a look at the Conti Vertical Pro 2.3. The balloon up a bit on the rim with decent volume and roll very quickly. I used a pair on the Zaskar LE for years, lasted ages.

Slidy when wet though, but on rocky, loose terrain or just hardpack they are very good.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I would consider a maxxis Holy Roller on the back.

Works very well in dry conditions and isn't to bad when it is wet.

probably not for the front though
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    I've got a larsen tt 2.35 on order for my BFe when it arrives, supposed to be good for dry trails (on the rear).
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    specialized the captain 2.2- tall, so nice and bouncy, and quite wide for a 2.2, and fast, and grippy dual compound. and only £20, and about 600g each
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Have a look at Maxxis Aspens.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    +1 for Specialized Captains. The 2.2 are massive, about as wide as my Maxxis Highroller 2.35 and a bit taller too. Rolls fast and is light weight. It's a great dry weather tyre for hardpack or rocks, does ok on soft loamy type ground and is a bit rubbish in the wet but as said great on dry hardpack. Tonnes of grip and roll fast.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I'm planning on a CrossMark rear and Ardent fron for Summer this year....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    if you don't care about grip, razer mx...

as fast as a very fast thing wrapped around a speeding bullet beyond the event horizon of a black hole...

The most stupid tyres i've ever owned but very addictive.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Racing Ralphs in 2.40.
    Big very very fast and COMFY :)
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    Maxis ignitors are pretty beefy - more so than the conti veriticals but not as quick. The ultimate in volumous tyres has to be rubber queens - the 2.4s are like having an extra inch of travel.
  • Father Faff
    Some good ideas but my DT Swiss XR4.2D rims realistically will not take much more than 2.25 Ardents I think (correct me if I'm wrong). My key priority is comfort which is why I want a bit of volume in the tyre. I've used Verticals years ago and they might be ok as I seem to remember them being quite quick and a reasonable volume and not over-heavy. Not particularly racey though but then I don't suppose things like Racing Ralphs and Razers are would have the volume I need for a plush(ish) ride. As for a Holy Roller I've never heard of it - do we mean High Roller which is a good tyre but too slow?

Is there anyone like me out there who has a hardtail, likes to race on hardpack, but needs a bigger volume tyre for comfort who can tell me what they use?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Not particularly racey though but then I don't suppose things like Racing Ralphs and Razers are would have the volume I need for a plush(ish) ride. As for a Holy Roller I've never heard of it - do we mean High Roller which is a good tyre but too slow?

The Razer Mx comes up small for a 2.3 (its about 2.1 in reality) but has a reasonable volume. A great compromise of speed (of which there is lots) and comfort, in my opinion.

The Holy Roller is a fat BMX tyre by Maxxis.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I've gone for the small block 2.1 for exactly the same reason as the op, on dt 4.2. compared to the 2.1 razer I had for the last couple of summers it isn't quite as fast (as others have said, it is very fast, if lethal on the front), but a lot more comfortable. Haven't tried the 2.3 though, might have to give it a go!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Is there anyone like me out there who has a hardtail, likes to race on hardpack, but needs a bigger volume tyre for comfort who can tell me what they use?

This is the exact reason I got the Specialized Captains. My 2nd bike is a rigid and I wanted something to take the sting out off bumps but without using suspension. The tyres were recommended by my LBS and have loads of volume both in width and in height.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Father Faff
    The Aspen sounds interesting. I like the Ardents so this sounds like a faster version of them...

Anyone tried Aspens?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    I have Maxxis Crossmarks front and back on my Soul. Not the fastest or lightest out there but high volume and comfortable, surprisingly grippy in most conditions.
  • i'm running Hutchinson Toro enduro compound on my Soul, have to say They are Fantastic tyres, Sooogrips but Very fast too! Really gives you confidence!
    not cheap mind but very good!!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Small Block 8s. 2.35s if they'll fit your tyres, but because Kenda tyre sizes aren't just random, the 2.1 is still a very nice size. Fantastic tyres for the summer. Certain death in winter :lol: 2.35 fits very easily into a Soul.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    aspens are uber quick.