Giordana bibshorts...

rokkala
rokkala Posts: 649
edited May 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi, need another decent pair of bibshorts to add to the rotation. Don't want a bank breaker. I already have some assos, castelli, gore & santini bibs, so i thought i would give some of the Giordana stuff a try.

Can find the Body Clone and Tenax Carbon bibs for same price, about £65, and was wondering if anybody has experience of both? Seems they have different pads but can't really tell which is supposed to be higher up the Giordana line, or if they are designed for slightly different purposes like with Assos.

Cheers

Comments

• JohnnyAllez
    JohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    I`ve got both, the Body Clone ones are last years model, the pad ~(gel) looks to be the same as the new Tenax carbon, both very good. The type of material that the Tenax are made from looks and feels a lot better than the BC, but like I said, both are good, comfortable pairs of bibs. I`d buy the Tenax if looking for another pair, Ribble had then on sale this week as well :)
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,559
    I have a few pairs of the Tenax bib shorts and reckon they are about the best value out there. Lovely things to wear. Not tried the Body Clone bibs, BUT if they are anything like the jerseys, they'd be fabulous. I just got a BC long sleeve jersey, and it is superb quality, so good, I'm going to order a couple more! Winter on the way here and these will be just the ticket...
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    I have both the Tenax and BC bib shorts.

The Bibs on the BC shorts are the best of any shorts I have (nicer than assos). I also find the material of the BC shorts much more comfortable than the Tenax although I get the impression that they wont' be as durable as the Tenax.

I can not tell the difference between the pads in either of the BC or Tenax, but the Tenax shorts I have are a couple of years old and the BC ones are at least last years version, not sure what's changed in newer versions. I find both the pads quite thin as well when compared to Assos Mille and DHB.

I think the BC are supposed to be the higher than the Tenax but not 100% certain
  • Essex Man
    Essex Man Posts: 283
    Not wanting to complete hijack the thread (and Rokkala you might want to consider this), but I have just got some Tenax shorts and I see that they are handwash only? Are owners of these shorts doing this or just sticking them in the 40C wash with everything else?

Gutted at the thought of Mrs Essex Man having to do all that extra handwashing....
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I stick my Tenax shorts in the washing machine. They seem to handle it OK, although the pad in my 1 1/2 year old pair is noticeably less effective than my 6-month-old pair.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    I machine wash Tenax with no problems
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I have some Tenax. Excellent bibs.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • I have some Tenax. Excellent bibs.
    +1
    Although I've got a blue pair which when used on the turbo make me look like I've p*ssed myself :oops: . So maybe black's a better option.
    Who you gonna believe? Me or your own eyes?
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    Thanks all, think i'll go for the Tenax then, don't think it would be a bad decision either way!

As an aside, has anyone tried their next bibs up, the Body Clone Form?
  • Can I do a quick hijack and ask about sizes with these shorts please.

I'm 5'9-10" and 33" waist would XL be the right size for me?
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    I own a few pairs of the Tenax shots and rate them as the best I have tried, even more so compared to the cost of some of the others. The 2009 ones look better than the 2010 ones in my opinion though.
    Can I do a quick hijack and ask about sizes with these shorts please.

I'm 5'9-10" and 33" waist would XL be the right size for me?

I am 5'9" with a 31-32" waste and I wear the medium.....

Perfect fit for me.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I'm 5'11" and 33" inch and I run XL
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    I have the Body Clone. Superb bibs, really good. Love wearing them, like a second skin.
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Body Clone is one up from Tenax - I have the Tenax Carbon and they are a fabulous piece of kit. I'm 5'11" 90kg with a 34-36" waist (closer to 36" at the moment :oops: ) and I have the 2XL size which is a great fit. Italian sizing so tends to be at least one up from UK as I fit L and XL in Endura kit I have.

Tenax jerserys seem hard to come by - if anyone knows where they are in stock could you let me know! I even rang the distributor and he says he is no longer importing them as the BC range is the more popular (this was in relation to the Jerseys only not the bibshorts).

I have the plain black bibs and going to order some with the red panels to match my Jerseys (which are mostly red :shock: )

You will not be disappointed with Giordana Bibs.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Tenax bibs are very nicely made and hard to beat in that price point. I would say though the pad is a bit on the wide side and gives me quite a bit of inside leg chafing.

Santini come a close second. Not as comfortable to wear - a bit more splat knacker, but have a better pad.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I havetwo pairs of Tenax. I think I got them in 2008. I rate them very highly. However, one of them has parted at the front leg seam (about 1 inch). I have ask my wife to do hte business with a needle and thread but she is worried that the material will pull. Anyone else has this happen?

PS wash mine at 30 degrees in washing machine.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    ALaPlage wrote:
    Tenax jerserys seem hard to come by - if anyone knows where they are in stock could you let me know! I even rang the distributor and he says he is no longer importing them as the BC range is the more popular (this was in relation to the Jerseys only not the bibshorts).

Its obvious why the BC are more popular than the Tenax - they don't import the latter :D I think it will be more to do with larger mark-up/profit.

I have a couple of 2006 version jerseys and they are so comfortable and practical, I can't see much being better functionally or on value.

I've checked a variety of US and Oz sites and no Tenax jerseys to be found :cry:
  • Just got back from Ribble. I took the plunge and got the Tenax Carbon white/black '09 in size XL for £53 per pair.

Look and feel like really good quality kit.

As for sizing I'm roughly 5'9-10" with a 33" waist. The actual shorts fit perfectly. They feel like they have the right amount of tightness around the legs, The pad fits nicely around the groin area. The straps are ever so slighty tighter than I would normally have them over my shoulders, but they won't be a problem.

I definitely wouldn't want to have got them any smaller.

Really happy with them I just need to get out now and give them a good riding.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • boondog
    boondog Posts: 205
    did they have any left ? they are £75 on their website !
  • boondog
    boondog Posts: 205
    ignore that, having a bad day ! bought some with code CAT10