BHF 2010 Rides - where are you riding yours???

KonaKurt
KonaKurt Posts: 720
edited September 2010 in MTB rides
So, is anyone else planning a BHF ride this year, either on or off road?Feeling confident? Got any tips for a first timer like me?!

Or maybe other planned charitiy ride? Anyone dressing up for one?

KK
(thinking about doing one in memory of loved ones, but worried about bunching or crowding rideers!)

Comments

• rottitera02
    rottitera02 Posts: 863
    I have done the liverpool/chester/liverpool ride which was attended by up to 2000 riders, the organisers tend to do split starts of say 20/30 riders at a time with a set time between each start to eliminating overcrowding of riders.

I have also done other rides like the wirral ride (which am doing again on june 13th) with a smaller number of riders and they also do a split time start for 20/30 riders at a time.

Fancy dress is an option but can also be a hindrance on a long ride and also in hot weather.

Take your pick of the rides and go for it...you will enjoy it.
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • KonaKurt
    I missed out on registing for the London To Brighton AGAIN for the 3rd year running now! Places went super quick!!! Not happy!

Well, I'm thinking about trying the new BHF Bristol Ride, which according to the planned route is more of a South Glocestershire ride. Or might try the BHF one around the Somerset levels, maybe 50 miles to make up for it being mainly flat.

Might go in costume - as an ageing and slightly unfit heavyweight, who has neglected his riding in recent months, squeezed into his old riding top which now carries a slight spare tyre and pair of lovehandles...*cough*

KK.
  • KonaKurt
    Appearently, there is now a BHF London to Brighton OFFROAD ride, which I would imagine to be a bit of a challenge once it hits the South Downs.

Anyone done it?

KK.
  • seanoevil
    seanoevil Posts: 142
    KonaKurt wrote:
    Appearently, there is now a BHF London to Brighton OFFROAD ride, which I would imagine to be a bit of a challenge once it hits the South Downs.

Anyone done it?

KK.

Booked in for that one; first time an all like...well lookng forwared to it!
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Doing the Dark Peak challenge ride in October. Wussed out of the 40 mile course tho!!!
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • KonaKurt
    Sean, do you know the route? Is it literally 100% offroad to Brighton, or something like a 50/50 mix on and off? And same start and finish points? Is Ditchling Beacon still the worst ascent?

KK.
  • seanoevil
    Kona,

Dont know the route yet im afraid...what I know presently is that it starts at Roehampton Univeristy, then goes through Richmond Park, then onto the river through Kingston...from there I believe it carries on through to Hampton Court, then then on through to Weybridge at least...that is all I know at the moment.

The ride from the start through to Weybridge is fairly flat, riverside cycle paths all the way, quite easy going...

I am assuming that we would head toward the South Downs link maybe - I really dont know - would love to get an idea of the route though!

Hoping someone can pop in with a route of a recent run that was done!

S.

PS; there is a thread in here about the London 2 Brighton of road, have a looksee in there too :)
  • KonaKurt
    Sean, all the best of luck to you :) Sounds like an interesting one. But why not send BHF an email asking them for a PDF of the offroad route?

I think I will stay firmly on road this year for BHF. I'm thinking of doing the London to Oxford, which includes an old haunt of mine, Christmas Common. I'll either revisit my home city with a huge grin on my face, or face down on a stretcher with a sore bum.

By the way, I have worked out that BHF only run charity rides in areas of semi-flat terrain, to give everyone a fair chance of making it. (No chance for South Wilts or Devon then..!)

KK.
  • salsarider79
    salsarider79 Posts: 828
    I'm doing the Norwich 100mile road ride this year. I've done several before and love them. Well organised, good people, all round good days. Go for it you'll love it.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • konanige
    konanige Posts: 115
    Hi there check out the exmoor challenge on 11th september. Might have a pop at that one meself
  • Plaisir
    Plaisir Posts: 83
    Just signed up for the London - "South Coast" (Brighton) Off Road BHF ride. Can't wait, will be a fantastic excuse to be on the bike non stop!
    2009 Marin Wolf Ridge 6.9
  • KonaKurt
    Oh my, Exmoor is a beast of an area to bike around! I think that Exmoor ride would put me face down on an ambulance strecher!

I'm getting old, so I will stick to a shorter traditional ride!

By the way, I notice that BHF also run a new London to HASTINGS ride, which is simular to the Brighton one. Many charity rides are listed at www.bike-events.com and are well worth a look.

KK.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    Ours is in Rochdale over the Pennines.

That on a 6" 32lb Heckler? No thanks...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • thewaiter
    thewaiter Posts: 110
    a few of us doing the London- Southend event 18th July
  • seanoevil
    Plaisir wrote:
    Just signed up for the London - "South Coast" (Brighton) Off Road BHF ride. Can't wait, will be a fantastic excuse to be on the bike non stop!

September seems to far away lol - me and a matey are gonna ride from Guildford to Brighton off road in a couple of weeks, a slow ride if you like, just to gauge our fitness lol - and the chance to have a decent ride, in hopefully decent weather!
  • paully617
    paully617 Posts: 139
    seanoevil wrote:
    Kona,

Dont know the route yet im afraid...what I know presently is that it starts at Roehampton Univeristy, then goes through Richmond Park, then onto the river through Kingston...from there I believe it carries on through to Hampton Court, then then on through to Weybridge at least...that is all I know at the moment.

The ride from the start through to Weybridge is fairly flat, riverside cycle paths all the way, quite easy going...

I am assuming that we would head toward the South Downs link maybe - I really dont know - would love to get an idea of the route though!

Hoping someone can pop in with a route of a recent run that was done!

S.

PS; there is a thread in here about the London 2 Brighton of road, have a looksee in there too :)

Hi all
    I did the London 2 south coast off roader last year. It was a fairly simple ride to be fair. If anyone wants an electronic copy of last years route i can supply it no probs.
    Last year they allow 1500 riders but this year its restricted to 750. shame!!

I started riding at 8am and finished at 4pm.

As said before, the route is fairly flat to start with and the foresty bit down to checkpoint 1 can be fun!!! Depending on the number of riders backing up at the slightest sight of a narrowing track or slope.

The route then takes you to the south downs link then drops you basically to the bottom of a massive hill which is at the 63 mile point, so it is highly advisable to chuck all the remaining carbs and stodge down your neck for the final push.

After that it drops into the marina near hove followed by a blast down the seafront dodging "blind" pedestrians who occasionally stray into the cycle lane without looking. Last year i nearly hit someone whilst in 27th gear and a wicked tune playing on the ipod.

Seeing as it was at the end of Sept, i opted for bib tights with baggys over the top and soon realised the 23 degrees c was just bad luck!!!

Anyway, me and a gang from work are booked in for 2010 so hopefully see you there!!
    Trek Remedy 9.8 2013
  • seanoevil
    Paullyp617,

Thx for the insight into the ride! Can you drop me a copy of last years route please? Will pm you my email addy.

Cheers fella.
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    I'm hoping to do the Bristols Biggest Bike Ride (40mile loop) for Breast Cancer Awareness & also the Bristol to London 110 miles for Action Research.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • konanige
    konanige Posts: 115
    Hi KK , I bet you arent as old as me. You dont have to do the full 100k you can do different distances depending how you feel on the day. I'm going to see how far I can get before I throw my 35pound 6inch full boinger in a ditch and curl up and die!!!!!
  • Frostys
    Frostys Posts: 277
    Cheshley wrote:
    Doing the Dark Peak challenge ride in October. Wussed out of the 40 mile course tho!!!

Ya big girls blouse :wink: .... apparently I'm doing the Dark Peak as well. also managed to get a place on this years London to Brighton do you think my Spesh Big Hit is suitable?
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    KonaKurt wrote:

Anyone done it?

KK.

Did this last year and it was fantastic. We have signed up again this year.
    Sat 25th Sept
    I ride therefore I am
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    I'm planning on doing Bedgebury Insomnia Solo. I won't be riding the 32lb Heckler with 2.4 tyres this year though. :roll:
  • Myself and my colleuge are doing the route. London to south coast. Should be good fun, just wondering what to pack in the way of spares etc?

http://original.justgiving.com/richardeniffer
    Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp (10)

Carrera banshee (10) the heaviest bike in the world, but my god is it strong....grrrrrrrrr

http://original.justgiving.com/richardeniffer
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    I'm taking part in the Exmoor Mountain Bike Marathon on 11th Sept starting in Porlock.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has done this one before :D
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • Radderz
    Radderz Posts: 1
    KonaKurt wrote:
    I'm getting old, so I will stick to a shorter traditional ride!

By the way, I notice that BHF also run a new London to HASTINGS ride, which is simular to the Brighton one. Many charity rides are listed at www.bike-events.com and are well worth a look.

KonaKurt, I think the word 'similar' should not be used in comparison with the mumbles from riders which have done both events. I did this event yesterday, it was not easy. They extended the route from 61 miles up to 70 on the day, and the hills were considerably harder then the London to Brighton event according to other riders which competed in both.

I've written a quick summary about this biking event, and some people have posted their own reviews about it too.
  • KonaKurt wrote:
    I missed out on registing for the London To Brighton AGAIN for the 3rd year running now! Places went super quick!!! Not happy!

Well, I'm thinking about trying the new BHF Bristol Ride, which according to the planned route is more of a South Glocestershire ride. Or might try the BHF one around the Somerset levels, maybe 50 miles to make up for it being mainly flat.

Might go in costume - as an ageing and slightly unfit heavyweight, who has neglected his riding in recent months, squeezed into his old riding top which now carries a slight spare tyre and pair of lovehandles...*cough*

KK.

Hi KonaKurt,
    Did you do the Somerset Levels ride? I did the 27 mile ride last year, and went this year to do the 50 mile ride.

I also did the 50 mile ride on the Isle of Wight last year. I might do that one again this year.