"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bails87 wrote:
    Did I miss this?

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/con ... imano.html

10 speed XT and SLX

and Sram X7 up has 2 X 10 as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yeah, I saw the X7 thread, and the one about 10 speed XTR, but hadn't seen anything about 10 speed XT and SLX.
    MTB/CX

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    who cares, it's a rubbish idea in my opinion, a really lazy move when they could have done something really dynamic.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I just think why 10 speed, seems pointless to me, more money spend for the sake of nothing...
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    sram stuff looks good and the ideas are in principle very good. how many high end road bikes come with triple chainsets now???? i can see mtbs going the same way tbh, with sram leading the way, shimano have been pretty lazy imo, just addded an extra cog and made the front ratios closer. what they dont say is that it will increase chain overlap, which adds stress to the chain, where as sram offers a much better solution with the compact chainset and wide ratio cassettes. imo sram have got shimano well and truly beaten this time.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    I'm still bemused by 9 speed and I've had my bike years
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Road bikes don't have triples very often because they don't have the terrain nor steepness the average biker faces. They simply do not need lower gears a lot of the time.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Still surprised Shimano didn't produce 2x10 options. Will SLX still have the double option, or has that not been announced?
  • supersonic
    I guess you can bodge your own double option.

Shimanos thinking seems to contradict itself - designed to keep you in the middle longer, but optimized to change to the other chainrings for more frequent shifting?
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I love the 2x10 on my Tricross. Due to the dodgy cross gearing on 3x9 drivetrains you end up with pretty much the same amount of choice anyway. I find I have to shift the front a lot less, the front is more a fast/slow modifier but each still gives me a healthy range, with barely any overlap.

I seem to end up using the entire middle range on my MTBs but then only the 3-4 extremes on the top/bottom rings.

Can't say I'm massively sold on 3x10, but then I guess I wasn't really convinced on 2x10 before trying it.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If I was to change I'd go to 2x10. I might try it when my cassette needs replacing.
    MTB/CX

• RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    The only thing tempting me to 10 speed is the possibility of a wide range cassette and a single ring set up
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    who cares, it's a rubbish idea in my opinion, a really lazy move when they could have done something really dynamic.

Yer but Shimano has got Di2 up its sleeve! i can see a mtb version of that being released next year with a XTR Di2 2x10 set up ! Or maybe its just my wishful thinking cos i'm holding out for a new bike with that set up !!!!! :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    Road bikes don't have triples very often because they don't have the terrain nor steepness the average biker faces. They simply do not need lower gears a lot of the time.

speak for yourself, im a big fan of my triple!!

i dont see the fuss about double chainrings, whats so different to the way folk have been running double up front for ages?

that said, i love the look of the x7 cranks, just a shame they probably dont use a pinch bolt design like shimano.
  • supersonic
    I agree with you lol, but I speak for a lot of people. For me, if you are going to have the extra weight of a front mech, shifter and cable, another ring relatively speaking is not much more.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    I agree with you lol, but I speak for a lot of people. For me, if you are going to have the extra weight of a front mech, shifter and cable, another ring relatively speaking is not much more.

true, i have removed the big ring from the enduro for clearance reasons more than anything and it is pretty considerable to be honest.

ive got nowt against 10 speed, there is every chance i will give some sram stuff a go its just the excitement over dual rings which i dont get though
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Road bikes don't need a third ring most of the time. But when you DO need it you REALLY need it. Only time I use mine is climbing Cairngorm or some of the smaller hills when I'm tired after a long run.

As for the mtb I can't remember the last time I needed the granny ring, maybe in the early days when I was a lot less fit. I spend most of my time in the top ring. Maybe I'm odd! :-)

I think 42t for a top ring is a retrograde step.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    supersonic wrote:

Agreed.

Am I the only one who thinks that if the new shimano gear works as advertised it's a good thing? Evolution not revolution, admittedly, but so is 2x10. I have no problem with 10 speed either, and I'll happily change up once it becomes the 'norm' and when it's time to replace bits.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    GHill wrote:
    Still surprised Shimano didn't produce 2x10 options. Will SLX still have the double option, or has that not been announced?

But now the shimano specced bikes will have 30 gears and the SRAMs a mere 20 gears. That makes the shimano specced bikes 50% better. Fact.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    10-speed is brilliant as it totally opens the door to 1x10, which is the way I will be converting my bike with a 30t single ring. I never use the big ring off-road and the new set up will give precisely the gears that I have been using with my 24 granny and 34 middle-ring on my 3X8.

I can then drop 2 rings, front mech, front shifter and corresponding cables.

If you leave in the South East and ride off-road, why on earth would you need anymore than 10 gears in total ?
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    I never use the big ring or the granny ring; happy running a 36 middle and 11-28 rear.

I won't be going out of my way to change to 10 speed - I'm happy with the ratios I run :)
  • bike-a-swan
    nickfrog wrote:
    If you leave in the South East and ride off-road, why on earth would you need anymore than 10 gears in total ?

Because at the end of a 40-50 mile ride cranking up that last climb straight up the face of the north downs I really appreciate the lowest gears going! And on the long smooth descents I need the big ring.

Not going to stop me trying a 1x10 at some point though!
  • nickfrog
    Fair comments although at the bottom end the 36t with a 30t at the front equals my current bottom gear. At the top end, I guess I'll have to freewheel a bit !!

Biggest issue is = will the 10-speed assymetrical chain be compatible with a ring that is optimised for 9 speed ? Anyone ??
  • supersonic
    Not sure yet. Most likely yes. Shimano will say no lol.
  • nickfrog
    supersonic wrote:
    Not sure yet. Most likely yes. Shimano will say no lol.

Cheers

Of course they will. LOL.

I'll let other people try before I go ahead with my plans!!
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    GHill wrote:

But now the shimano specced bikes will have 30 gears and the SRAMs a mere 20 gears. That makes the shimano specced bikes 50% better. Fact.

I like your schoolyard logic! 8)
  • bike-a-swan
    i miss the easy days when the only thing anyone cared about on your bike was how many gears it had. life was simpler as a kid
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    it would seem that bikeradar agree with my comments then :lol:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/s ... view-25941