Upgrading forks

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited May 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi All, looking for your thoughts and advise as I can't make my mind up on what to do. :?

I have a set of 2008 Fox 32 Vanilla RL. I love the forks but would like some sort of compression damping on them. The options as I can see are:

1) Send them to Mojo to get a FIT cartridge installed. they quoted me £180 for a FIT cartridge. Plus prob more for postage and fork servicing etc.

2) Sell forks and put money towards a new set of forks with compression tuning already

3) Send off to TF Tuned to get them Pushed. As far as I can tell, getting them Pushed is the same as adding slow speed compression tuning? This will cost about £200 for all.

4) Anything else ... ?

So what do you think I should do?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The fork does have some low speed compression, but is unadjustable, and may not suit you.

The tuning can be worth it - also you can have an adjuster added ie the RLC cartridge.

200 quid, hmmm. What travel do you run them at? Just thinking of new fork options.
  • jairaj
    Run them at 140mm. Use it on a Saracen Zen 631 hardtail. It mostly gets used for XC/All mountain type stuff and the occasional DH run.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    In case you do sell and rebuy...these may be worth a look ?
    http://www.cyclesurgery.com/1028389/Mag ... -Fork.html

I am sure they were also doing Nenja 130 AM's for around £300 but can't find it on the site..(the branch in Brombourgh/Liverpool) had them.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I'm surprised you can retro-fit the FIT cartridge. It's orientation lead me to believe you would need new lowers too.

I assume the current fork is not a bolt through?
  • jairaj
    GHill the fork has normal quick release lowers. I emailed Mojo letting them know what fork I had and just emailed back giving a price for a new cartridge. Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow and talk about the details.

Thanks for the suggestion Pudseyp I'll look into that but as said I currently have a QR fork, I also have 2 sets of good wheels (one light weight and one more stronger). Im not sure I want to re-invest in new hubs/wheels with Maxel fitting. I don't think I've noticed much flex so not sure if one of the bigger axle standards would do much for me. I definitely don't want to steepen the geometry at all so not sure I want to use that 130mm fork.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Mojo are probably right :wink:
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Pudseyp wrote:
    In case you do sell and rebuy...these may be worth a look ?
    http://www.cyclesurgery.com/1028389/Mag ... -Fork.html

I am sure they were also doing Nenja 130 AM's for around £300 but can't find it on the site..(the branch in Brombourgh/Liverpool) had them.
    totaly worth it if you can get them IMHO. they are (again IMHO) the best 140mm trail/am fork out there, they are just awsome. great small bump sensitivity, awsome control, and amazing stiffness.

just great all round, also they are vitually maintenence free!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • jairaj
    OK so I rang Mojo to get full prices etc.

They say that a normal RLC cartridge (ie non FIT) would be £156 plus a service cost and postage. So the total comes out to £263 to upgrade current fork to have compression tuning.

If im not miss-taken TF Tuned's PUSH service adds slow speed compression adjustment to a fork. Is this correct? If so how would this differ to the Fox RLC cartridge?

If its going to be almost the same thing then Im leaning towards TF tunned as their service will cost me £191 (about £70 cheaper than Mojo)

If getting the forks PUSHed will not be sufficient for my needs then I think I'd rather sell the fork and get a new one. Im hoping I'd get around £180 for my old forks plus £260 (what I would've paid Mojo) = £440. I think this would be enough to get a fork of a similar calibre but with compression tuning?
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I don't think the PUSH adds compression adjust, it just sets it up exactly for your weight/riding style.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • supersonic
    Yes, I believe that is the case.

Given you can get a new Rev Race for less than 300, which has low speed adjust, blow off adjust, rebound adjust, lockout and positiv and negative air springs, I know what I'd do.
  • jairaj
    Yeah but will they be as buttery smooth as the Vanillas?

So it seems I have 2 options now:

1) Get the forks PUSHed for £190 - less money but less features and heavier
    2) New RS Revs for £300 - more money but more features and lighter

thanks all for your suggestions, looks like I just need to decide which is best for me.
  • jairaj
    Also BlackSpur, from the TF Tuned FAQs :
    By choosing any position between "On" or "Off" you can select the amount of low-speed compression you have.

From what I understand the fully ON position is the ideal set-up for your rider weight and style and you can back off any changes down to fully OFF.
  • supersonic
    Quite possibly be as smooth - even though are air. And certainly lighter.