Anyone Stayed in Lake Annecy?

drewfromrisca
drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
edited April 2010 in The bottom bracket
Anyone holidayed here recently? Wife and me are looking to go in the summer for 2 weeks and are looking for anyone who's been for hints/tips/advice/experience?!
There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!

Comments

• guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    It's nice. Camped there a few years ago. Nice town, good restaurants on the canal, lovely lake. Eat the Perch. Your close to Geneva, Chamonix for a trip up to Agile du Midi, lots of Alpine things to do. You will not find much in Annecy to keep you busy, but there's loads in the surrounding area if you can travel.

I saw a guy parascending from the nearby hill. His 'chute got tangled and he plummeted into the lake in a twisting rate of knots. That was the best bit. He survived.
  • drewfromrisca
    Cheers mate, we are not looking for an action packed hol so the thought of not being busy sounds great. I just want some sun, food and a place to ride whilst the missus sunbathes!
    Not sure whether to fly there, hire a car or just drive straight there.

• guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Drive there and take your own bike. Stop off a night on the way in Reims, Troyes, Dijon or wherever suits.

Geneva is a nice ride away, the lake is great for laps. Time yourself and compare to the last Tour results.

You'll be a nice trip away from Grenoble and Bourg d'Oissan - Alpe d'Huez, Galibier etc...
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Some great, but little known climbs, around the lake - Col de la Forclaz which takes you up to the place where the parapenters jump off, Col d'Arpettaz which is a hard slog - only reason its not used in the big races is the narrowness of the road. Col de Semnoz just outside the town is another awesome climb with brilliant views. You can also (if you get a pass) do a noce loop with the Col D'Aravis and Col de Croix Fry and then detour up the Col de la Colombiere.

Also the cysle track down the western side of the lake is great - flat, no cars - its an old railway which runs miles and miles down the vally and give you the chance to drop off and explore the locality.

Its a great place for the holiday and even better if you've got the bike with you, Enjoy.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    You can also go by train to Annecy... Eurostar to Paris then a TGV to Annecy. The TGV is great - but my last two experiences with Eurostar would put me off. Not sure about taking bikes this way - but there's probably something online with advice (like how to get across Paris).
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Hi, I went last July to see the Tour. It was horrendously busy, but I guess that was because the Tour was in town. We stayed in Doussard, SW corner of the lake. It was lovely and quiet. Trying to get into Annecy by car on the west side of the lake was virtually impossible (we actually gave up the one time we tried it) - it was far easier to go round the other side. The lake is beautiful, the old town is nice - we only went in once to do the sight-seeing thing and pick up a boat trip onthe lake.

Beautiful area, I especially liked the little ski resorts on the way up to the Aravis (La Clusaz, I think).

We always drive - very easy from Calais - usually stopover in Reims or Troyes, as mentioned.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Hi
    I spent a week here - http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p97521 in August last year
    Had a brilliant week with the family. We all took our bikes/tag-alongs etc - the cycle path was a great way for us to get to Annecy town centre (about 10km from St Jorioz).
    I loved it there and would love to go back again one day.

I took my mtb which is more for family riding but really wished I'd got my road bike and all the gear - it was absolutely full of cyclists.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Been to Annecy a few times. Never with a bike, but usually day trips when I stay at Courcheval, snowboarding.
    It is a lovely little town, great for browsing around on the market days, etc. Very relaxing, but never far from a little bit of life.
    Plenty of diversity, if you're looking for something, other than cycling, to do.
    There's also a nearby town called Pussey! :shock: Pronounced Poosee, but who cares! :wink:
    Lots of blossom about, which means plenty of fruit, too... Therefore lots of Pussey juice, and it's very fragrant! :wink:

Ah, that just ruined a sensible, cultured post, didn't it! :oops:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • drewfromrisca
    Cheers guys a lot of info there.

• markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Been there and its very nice, not called the Venice of the Alps for nothing. Chamonix isn't far away and is in my opinion the best place in the Alps but thats a purely personal piont of view.
  • Don't forget a ride round the lake. Basically the final TT from last years Tour, but there's a great cycle path on the south side, well worth checking out...
  • I've been to Lake Annecy twice recently... but for paragliding not cycling!
    The chap that landed in the lake was probably doing a SIV course - (simulation incedents en vol - simulation of incidents in flight) practising what to do when it all goes wrong!!
    A beautiful area, I think I'll try to take the bike next time. If you fancy a tandem paraglider flight contact Irwyn at http://www.maison-du-moulin.co.uk/ a Welsh chap that knows the area very well. He can also take you via ferrata and canyoning etc.