Romandie stage 2 (spoilerific)

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Sonny73 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Seriously though, I'd love to know what Bob Stapleton thinks of that.

Doubt he'd be overjoyed (sponsors n all)

And coming after the Greipel spat. I think Aldag was already pretty exasperated with Cav over that one.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    I'm sure he will supply FF with plenty of visual material, in the coming years.
    Me? I think he's too old for the angry young man routine.
    He just looked like a nob, trying to act the part.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Cav says over and over again that his victory celebrations are an integral part of the fact that he is just a moving billboard for the sponsors, and they aren't personal.

So he needs to explain that one more than other riders would, who don't say that kind of thing.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    C.o.c.k.

He could get DQ'd for that, it's within the rules.
  • normal service has been resumed - I just watched the last 5k without the sound on in teh office. what the hell was that celebration all about?
  • Fair play to him. Gets his point across nicely and if Stapleton doesn't like it perhaps he should treat him with a bit more respect too. He's paid to win bike races and he tells it like it is. It's about time cycling had some real personalities and not stage managed PR puppets.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I thought he was just signaling his second win of the year with that two-finger salute.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Seems Brad Wiggins was onto you lot:
    As for the salut, well it'll give the cycling forum users something to do for the evening!
    http://twitter.com/bradwiggins/status/13076602611
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    1) Wiggo - funny.
    2) Cav - immature, silly, inappropriate - yes. Honest and heart felt - well yes too. And at least he didn't give it any of that "oh, it was because it was my 2nd win rubbish", he said: it was to "send a message to commentators and journalists who don't know jack shit about cycling," Uncompromising stuff.

More like Cav, less like E "it was really nice, I felt really nice, it was good and really nice" BH in cycling for me....
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    But he's equally sad seeing what forum users are up to.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Hooray!
    I do like a stroppy sportsman, I must say. The world would duller without them.
    Long may he continue outraging people, as their indignation I find almost as amusing.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Not sure how that's equally sad, basically you are saying anyone who uses/views the forums is sad?

At my company I regulary check forums linked to our work for some reaction and understanding of what worked or didn't or how it is perceived. It's natural and anyone would no matter if they try to play it cool or not.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Forums? I thought those were the places that people who follow their sport visit.
    I take it they'd prefer that nobody watched what they do for a living. That should have the sponsors flocking.

Anyhow, Cav's got a long way to go to beat our old favourite and his victory celebration.

afpsimeonicarry18.jpg

Cost him $250 for his little show of emotion.
    http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/ ... 29news.php
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Ha ha quality. Look we can't have it both ways we are either moaning there are no characters or they are un-professional. I'd rather characters even if they are idiots sometimes.

And thats all I'm saying, 'cos for the 1st time I agree with Wiggins and I'd rather go for a ride than sit on a forum tonight.
  • Genius, I think I like Cav just a little bit more now :lol:

Yeah from a sponsors point of view it's not wonderful (though remember Festina saying any publicity is good publicity and all that), but nevertheless I find it quite hilarious (obviously wouldn't if I was Bob or Rolf in all likelihood).

I'd rather take his brand of humour and inappropriateness over that of Mr Wiggins any day, at least Cav is open with it, spade a spade and all that.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Kléber wrote:
    C.o.c.k.

He could get DQ'd for that, it's within the rules.

That's what I was thinking.

Now, that., would've been funny.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Wouldn't have liked to have been the comm explaining he was relegated to the back of the bunch or DQed though!
  • iainf72
    Wouldn't have liked to have been the comm explaining he was relegated to the back of the bunch or DQed though!

I would've done it with pleasure.

"Oi, midget, that stunt cost you the win. By the way, I like your braces"
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Wouldn't have liked to have been the comm explaining he was relegated to the back of the bunch or DQed though!

I would've done it with pleasure.

"Oi, midget, that stunt cost you the win. By the way, I like your braces"

Wouldn't it be great if some no-mark commissaire on the UCI gravy train used this to get his 15 minutes of fame?

Haven't you got any other dreams to have. No wonder riders like Cav get pissed off with morons like you around.
  • iainf72
    Oh, yeah, you're right

This is a great advert for the sport

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/64th-t ... tos/118473
  • This is the sport where an international magazine sees fit to have a cover photo of a rider banned for doping, an EPO manufacturer sponsors a major race and certain top riders are seen as untouchable by the governing body so in the big scheme of things a clean sprinter giving the Vs isn't a big deal is it?
  • Coyote
    Coyote Posts: 212
    Ah well, at least it will give our morning paper sports desk a wee break from the monotony of listing all the dopers in the cycling section, they can report on a dope instead.
  • iainf72
    If you were a casual fan, didn't know much about it and saw that, would you have a positive impression?

Cav is a very fast sprinter. Easily the best around, but that kind of nonsense just makes people like me who aren't fans really dislike him. Gazetta reported it that he "ruined" his victory.

And it's not like this is a one off. The slagging of Greipel, the "I don't have anything to learn" blah blah blah. Sorry, but if he'd just won today, done a cheesy salute that would've sent the message.

People who like him will think he's even more brilliant, those who don't will dislike him more.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    In Europe it means two. It's only a UK thing where it means something else. In that regard, it's actually quite clever.

Storm in a teacup. I can't believe how many people have gotten a little hot under the collar over something so inconsequential.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    iainf72 wrote:
    If you were a casual fan, didn't know much about it and saw that, would you have a positive impression?

It would look pretty negative to a casual viewer. But then again, other things in the sport would look a wee bit negative to a casual viewer as well, like Jan and Ivan being booted from the 2006 Tour, or the Gendarmes leading Mr Ricco away to his cell, or nabbing Christian Moreni as he crossed the finish line of a Tour stage, or the yellow jersey testing positive a week after winning the Tour....
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    So, did anyone notice Cav's new teeth?
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    iainf72 wrote:
    People who like him will think he's even more brilliant, those who don't will dislike him more.

I'm not sure I could dislike him anymore than I do. His win is enough reason for me not to watch the highlights later. What a dick :roll:

Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Again, to hark back to football, to me this is just the same as a player who's been getting stick from oppo fans all match scoring a last minute winner and celebrating by putting his hands to his ears in front of their supporters.

OK, so it's not the smartest thing to do, but understandable. Much ado about absolutely nothing in my book, and I'm not the world's biggest Cavendish fan, so there's nothing like that clouding my judgement.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    iainf72 wrote:
    Oh, yeah, you're right

This is a great advert for the sport

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/64th-t ... tos/118473

Errrr, Iain, aren't you a Basso fan? Isn't what he did a wee bit more cockish than what Cav did today?