fredy Posts: 308
edited April 2010 in MTB beginners
hi all, i am in need of some do it all gloves for riding. I'm after something:
- tough enough to take alot of falls
-under £20 or £25 if i really really have to
-cool for summer
-comfortable for long rides
-gripy

I know alot of people recomend royal air gloves (i have done a search prior to posting this 8) ) but i'm not sure they are tough enough. They don't look like they will take more than a few falls. I normally land on my arms or legs but even then, i still rip up my hands eventually during the landing process. However, the problem with the tougher stuff is that they don't give you as much maneuverability.
What could you recomend?

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Alpinestars Dual gloves.

Used them before I got my Royal Airs :roll: and they were great. They are still going strong with my dad wearing them after nearly a year of riding (and thats a lot of riding)

Offer enough protection in falls but they are not restrictive. They were really grippy as well which is always a bonus
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Whichever Fox you like the looks of :wink: I use the Sidewinders, which are just your average trail/beefed up XC gloves, and they're plenty tough, they last but they crash well too. Not that I crash of course, ever. They do a full range so you could go for one of their full on DH gloves, or any point inbetween.

I'm biased like but I reckon Fox have the best allround glove range... Just about everyone makes at least one great glove but Fox have great gloves all the way from fingerless XC to downhill rockpunchers.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • fredy
    fredy Posts: 308
    thanks, i will look into them.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Fox gloves are good. Get the Unabombers if you want lots of protection, carbon fibre knuckles :twisted:

Actually Northwind you could do with a set since you have a habit of punching trees :lol:
  • Luke-Dob
    Luke-Dob Posts: 121
    Fox Digit :D

My last pair lasted 3 years with many crashes.
    Lots of vents on them
    Easy to slip on and do up
    Glass's/goggle/nose wipe on the thumb which is handy
    Only downside is that they are NOT padded.

Picked my new pair up for £24, so price is not "that" bad.
    "If I Was Falling, YOU BETTER FREAKING CATCH ME!!!"
    6 years riding bikes, 8 broken bones, gravity can be a b**ch
    http://dobby.pinkbike.com/album/My-Bikes-D/
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    peter413 wrote:
    Actually Northwind you could do with a set since you have a habit of punching trees :lol:

That tree was asking for it. Showed it who's boss, won't have to do it again!
    Uncompromising extremist