Afan Skyline on friday - looks like rain

kona_matt
kona_matt Posts: 475
edited May 2010 in Routes
Hi, I've got a trip to Afan to do Skyline planned for Friday and pretty much all the forecasts say we're gonna get wet! :cry: (typical after a couple of weeks of perfect sunshine).

I've read that the trail is cut into the bedrock so not that muddy. Has anyone been there in the wet? How muddy does it get? Basically i'm wondering whether i need to change my summer tyre (kenda small block) that i've got on the rear. high roller on the front so no worries there.

See how i managed to disguise yet another tyre question :wink:
FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Uhm Skyline is the worst trail up there for water,

Most of it is ok, but there will be some sldugy sections, On the whole i think you will be ok, I ride it with a a 2.35 high roller all the time no matter the weather :p
  • kona_matt
    i think the small block could probably handle a few sludgy sections. maybe i'll stick another high roller (i run 2.35 too) on the back if i get time between now and friday morning.

thanks for the feedback.
  • Thewaylander
    Anytime mate
  • kona_matt
    what a cracking ride, conditions were pretty bad but the rain stopped about an hour in. my hands and arms were screaming at me on the final descent. and that last fireroad climb is a very unwelcome surprise.

pretty eventful day, i was the only one not to have an off or mechanical :D my mate had a total front brake failure on a section of the final descent and ended up in a stream with his bike about 10m down in the valley :shock: he was lucky not to get badly hurt. another had freehub issues that got progressively worse as the day went on which was very amusing for the rest of us.

stuck with the kenda in the end which even though it was wet, gave me more traction on the rear than the high roller did in the dry at cwm carn. i was very surprised.
  • Thewaylander
    Yeh I used to Run 2.35" blue grooves 24/7 bit better than the high roller.. but the high roller is a bargain do it all tyre :p

Glad you enjoyed the ride they do hold up well. I waitied till monday myself and hit the Gorlach trail and raven on monday down in Brechfa. was stunning weather and really quiet loveed it
  • kona_matt
    Brechfa is on our to do list but i reckon we'll do a weekend in north wales next, probably do coed y brenin and coed landegla
  • Thewaylander
    yeh there all good fun up there, i'm often up that way in the summer.

If you like a quiet camp site out of the way, try Cae gwyn Farm, its small quiet and very scenic I always stay here :p