Knocking

jaybo1973
jaybo1973 Posts: 301
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys

If I apply my front brake and rock my bike backwards and forwards, there is a slight knocking. Not that sure where it is coming from? It cant really be heard but you can feel it. Recently had new bearings when I had my new forks fitted. Any adeas? Cheers guys

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Headset, fork bushings or pads moving in the calipers are the usual suspects. Check hub bearings are tight too.

Put your hand over the headset cup and seals and feel for play when rocking the bike.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    jaybo1973 wrote:
    Hi guys

If I apply my front brake and rock my bike backwards and forwards, there is a slight knocking. Not that sure where it is coming from? It cant really be heard but you can feel it. Recently had new bearings when I had my new forks fitted. Any adeas? Cheers guys

have a look at the head set... and check that the front break it bolted on tight.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • jaybo1973
    Hi guys

Before I investigate futher. It does not do it with both brakes pressed. Does this eliminate any problems?

*edit* sorry, it does do it still, not quite as bad though
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Probably your headset, make sure your top cap bolt is nice and tight (obviously undo the stem clamp bolts first), and make sure that you have enough space between the top of the steerer tube and the top cap so you're actually pushing down properly.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • jaybo1973
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Probably your headset, make sure your top cap bolt is nice and tight (obviously undo the stem clamp bolts first), and make sure that you have enough space between the top of the steerer tube and the top cap so you're actually pushing down properly.

This is the answer. I had just been out and done it :) It worked but im not sure what you mean by pushing down properly?