front wheel / disk brake alignment - is there a nack?

dicky ticker
dicky ticker Posts: 47
edited April 2010 in MTB beginners
hi peeps

had the bike in and out the back of the car a few times recently. it takes me ages (and not always completely syccessfuly) to align things so the disk brakes (juicy 7) doesnt rub.

before i took it off the wheel ran completely free. i have backed the pads off as much as i can to give me more room but this doesnt help.

i always fit the wheel with the bike in the upright position.

is there a nack / trick or is this just adownside of having disk brakes

cheers

colin
Cheers

Colin

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    use the pads spacer during transport.

set the wheel on the ground before tightening and then go ride. pads will bed in again.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Your LBS might have some old plastic inserts from the kits that they'll let you have. I really regret chucking mine.
  • lol...avids :roll:
  • nicklouse
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    lol...avids :roll:

Lol user error.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • hehe.... Avids are a pain to keep aligned... especially when you have ham fists/little patience like me.

Shimano you set once and thats that :D
  • nicklouse
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    hehe.... Avids are a pain to keep aligned... especially when you have ham fists/little patience like me.

Shimano you set once and thats that :D

they are just like any other brake.

once set there is nothing to do.

Ben how many sets of brakes have i set up? serviced? fixed?

it all goes wrong when people fiddle with them (and by them i mean any brakes).
  • errrmmmmm 10000000000000000000000? :lol:

I'm def not saying you're wrong! Just that I hated keeping my avids shing free!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Always best to leave the front on if you can. However, all I do is a quick reset of the caliper - loosen bolts, squeeze brake, tighten bolts. Usually does the job - I rarely remove my front wheel however.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    This sounds more like the wheel isn't properly aligning, I found rushing putting a QR wheel in causes some disk rub, the 20mm maxle and juicy threes are never a problem In fact I run a couple of sets of avids with no alignment issues once set up and torqued correctly (Had the wheel off the teocali w/code5s too many times and have never had to realign it)

I found the best way to get my front QR wheel lined up is to back off the skewer a bit, offer the wheel up from the front lift the fork up then line the disk up into the caliper and guide the disk in between the pad, After the axle is in the drop outs have push down on the fork brace to make sure axle is proply home and aligned, then sort out the QR skewer. Unless you are knocking the caliper aroud there is no reason why it should move.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • thanks peeps

not gonna start realligning the rotors as i think it is just me not getting things right.

once i get my bike rack for the car i can leave the front wheel on so will only have the problem when i clean/service her.
    Cheers

Colin
  • had a good plaay with her and have come to the conclusion that things are not set up right.

i have to offset the wheel slightly to enable the disc to run free and i can now see the malalignment with the bars/stem.

she's goin back to the lbs for her checkup soon so i'll get them to correct things
    Cheers

Colin
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    i have to offset the wheel slightly to enable the disc to run free and i can now see the malalignment with the bars/stem.
    Sounds like caliper just needs resetting.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    As stated above, loosen the QR and make sure the wheel is seated properly in the drop outs, then reset the position of the caliper to suit.
    Sounds like you aren't getting the wheel in square when you replace it.