Custom Cannondale Factory Carbon Team Scalpel 2010 (18.6lbs)

Xgreygoose
Xgreygoose Posts: 371
edited October 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Hi guys

This is my third “Your mountain bike” thread.
Finished building my Team Scalpel a couple a months ago. Very please with it. I’m now finding it difficult to choose which to ride, my Flash Team or my new Scalpel. :D I am a huge Cannondale and Lefty fan. Been riding Cannondale’s for over 10 years.
I like to think of myself as a “practical” weight weenie. None of your super light, fall to bits in one ride parts kind of guy.
I do mostly XC and some single trails. Also I do take part in races in my neck of the woods. http://www.actionasiaevents.com
I’m from Scotland but now living and working (my A$$ off) in Hong Kong.
Hope you guys like my bike(s) as much as I do.
As always question and comments are most welcome.

BTW here's a vid of me (behind cam) fallin off my first ride on this bike. Think I was tanked up on Vodka the night before :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFeQIdsHwHU

DSC02641.jpg
DSC02659.jpg
DSC02626.jpg
DSC02657.jpg

Frame: Cannondale Scalpel Hi-Mod 100mm Zero Pivot BB30
Forks: Lefty Speed Carbon SL 110mm Solo Air OPI
Rear Shock: DT Swiss XR Carbon
Bars: Schmolke Carbon TLO 600mm bar
Stem: Cannondale XC 3 Si
Headset: Cannondale Headshock Si
Grips: ESI Chunky Green with Schmolke Carbon end caps

Front Brakes: Formula R1 with carbon levers and BK carbon handlebar clamps
Front Caliper: Formula R1 with Swiss stops pads and custom carbon alloy PM mounts
Front disc: Hope X2 floating rotor 160mm
Rear Brake: Formula R1 with carbon levers and BK carbon handlebar clamps
Rear Caliper: Formula R1 with Swiss stops pads and custom carbon alloy PM mounts
Rear Disc: Hope X2 floating rotor 160mm
Hoses: Formula black the one hoses

Shifters: : Shimano XTR Rapidfire with Yumeya parts and BK carbon handlebar clamps
Cables: : Alligator mini i-LINK Ultralight with PowerCorz Cables (black and white)
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR with Yumeya parts
Rear Derailleur: : Shimano XTR with Yumeya parts and Enduro Ceramic Pulleys
Seat: Fizik Antares 00 with Carbon Rails
Seat Post: Extralite the post UL 360mm 27.2mm
Seat Post Clamp: Tune 31.8mm QR
Cranks: Cannondale SI Hollowgram SL BB30
Chainring(s): Extralite OctaRamp 44-32-22
Chain: KMC X9 SL 9-speed
Cassette: Shimano XTR with Yumeya parts
Pedals: Crankbrothers Eggbeaters 2ti
Bottom Bracket: Cannondale BB30 with Enduro Zero Ceramic Bearings

Front Wheel: Tune Cannonball SL lefty Hub, Sapim CX ray Aerospokes on Stans no tubes ZTR Crest rims with Enduro Zero Ceramic Bearings
Tire: Maxxis Maxxlite 285 or Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.1/ Nobby Nic with Eclipse tubes
Back Wheel: Tune Prince Hub, Sapim CX ray Aerospokes on Stans no tubes ZTR Crest rims with Enduro Zero Ceramic Bearings.
Tire Maxxis Maxxlite 285 or Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.1 with Eclipse tubes
Other bits: TUNE DC QR Skewer, TUNE carbon water cage,
Bolts: All Titanium
Weight 18.6lbs (8.45kg) :D
DSC02587.jpg

DSC02630.jpg
DSC02653.jpg
DSC02636.jpg
DSC02637.jpg
DSC02639.jpg
DSC02649.jpg
DSC02655.jpg
DSC02640.jpg
DSC02635.jpg

And finally.......scenic shot
DSC02645.jpg
Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
Cannondale Hooligan 9
Cannondale Flash Ultimate 2010
Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2010
Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2009

Comments

• BigAirNig
    BigAirNig Posts: 296
    edited April 2010
    Doesn't the rubber fork protector slow you down a bit - and what with that garmin sat on the stem, it surely makes those climbs tough!

Loving the XTR shifters and Carbon attachments - how/where do you get those?
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)
  • Scalpel_79
    Scalpel_79 Posts: 147
    i see you put those extralite chainrings on- any difference between Carbon Ti and Extralite?
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Very very nice build, it's good you have built a bike with as you say mostly usable parts (those 285g tyres are a bit too boutique for me but that's it).
    I'm a weight weenie wannabe on my Scandium Salsa Bandito but that's not even close to your bikes. It's at 18.06lb with 700g+ Race King UST's but I'm about to try some Kenda Kli-Max Lites/Supersonic tubes which will drop it into the low 17's or maybe high 16's if I'm lucky.
    Saying that, I'm running fully rigid on that bike plus it was built to a 'budget per part' & is a constant work in progress. I'd love to throw a load of money at some super light cranks/wheels/R1s etc but I'm too poor & mine rides lovely as is.

All your bikes are stunning builds I'd be proud to own, so good on you! :D
  • Very nice!!!!!
    the third of three Stunning Your Ride threads!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • where's the jealousy smiley face?.......

can't decide if I prefer this or your Flash, how do you decide which one to ride?

Cheeky question.....how much have the pair set you back?
  • Xgreygoose
    BigAirNig wrote:
    Loving the XTR shifters and Carbon attachments - how/where do you get those?

From Germany http://www.bkcomposites.de/BK/Home.html

Scalpel_79 wrote:
    i see you put those extralite chainrings on- any difference between Carbon Ti and Extralite?

Yes, I did try Extralite chainrings awhile back and didn't like them to much. Felt soft on the rings but I guess they must have been setup wrong cause I love them now. Very smooth shifting, lighter and cheaper than my carbon-Ti. I wanted to keep/use my Carbon-Ti as they cost an arm and leg but shifting was some times, so so. I think now the Carbon-Ti chainrings are mostly good on a two ring setup. Though I do love the Carbon look :)

where's the jealousy smiley face?.......
    Cheeky question.....how much have the pair set you back?

Way Toooooo Much..... :D:lol: I think I could have bought a brand new hot hatchback car by now :lol: but who needs a car when you have a bike 8)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Goose that is brillaint mate 8) Love the colourscheme.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    The Scalpel is looking stunning mate. Im also a huge fan of Cannondale, and there constant developments of materials and systems.
    I'm also loving the 2010 colour scheme. What did you do with your White Scalpel frame? 8.45kg is a crazy weight for "usable" XC full susser...!!
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    this is yet another contender for the bike of the year competiion.well done
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    That is stunning especially at 8.45kg!. Currently looking at slimming down my Giant NRS, but it's going to cost me a small fortune just to get it down to around 9.5kg. :cry:

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the Lefty forks, but it does look good on your bike.
  • big2000dave
    big2000dave Posts: 60
    Where did you get the green bolts from??
    Orange 5 SE
    Santa Cruz Nomad
    Orange 5 Diva
    Boardman Team Carbon
    Bianchi She
  • Xgreygoose
    Where did you get the green bolts from??

Sorry for long reply. Just got back from Scotland (forgot how awesome it is MTB there) but too much mud :D

I get all my bolts from here http://www.torontocycles.com/
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    sweet stealthy ride. whats the antares like on the rough stuff compared to the aliante?
  • Xgreygoose
    bobpzero wrote:
    sweet stealthy ride. whats the antares like on the rough stuff compared to the aliante?

The old Fizik Antares was hard as. No flex at all. For sure it was a race seat. The new Antares 00 is much better with the "wing flex" technology but it is still a wee bit hard. Saying that I have no problem with the new Fizik Antares 00 on rough terrain. My bum is liking it :D and is very light too (123g) for a padded seat.
    The Aliante is much better for comfort but weighs over 100g more and also the padding gets wee bit too soft on long rides.

BTW here's a pic's of my seats. Best seat is still Gobi XM :D
    DSC01035.jpg
    DSC01036.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    thanks for info. from fiziks spine test i seem to suit the antares.

ive had last years aliante twin flex carbon absolutely loved it but after 6months of riding it started to feel like it was ramping up the right side tho saddle was centred and straight (possibly crash damaged) and the arione cx which i think almost destroyd my sit bones but seated climbing was very good. unfortunately dare i mention i usually wear assos bib shorts so wouldnt last long on a gobi xm.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    How much did all that yumeya stuff cost?
  • Xgreygoose
    bobpzero wrote:
    thanks for info. from fiziks spine test i seem to suit the antares.

ive had last years aliante twin flex carbon absolutely loved it but after 6months of riding it started to feel like it was ramping up the right side tho saddle was centred and straight (possibly crash damaged) and the arione cx which i think almost destroyd my sit bones but seated climbing was very good. unfortunately dare i mention i usually wear assos bib shorts so wouldnt last long on a gobi xm.

If like the Antares you are going to love the Antares 00 :D I have this on both my bike's. Loving it :lol:

RealMan wrote:
    How much did all that yumeya stuff cost?
    RealMan, check out ChainReaction's website. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Sear ... ano+Yumeya
    I didn't get my yumeya parts from there but I know they have all the parts and prices.
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    How did you fit the R1 calipers with the Hope rotors, did you have to file the caliper in order to clear the rivets?

I have just tried this on a friends bike but the caliper rubs on the rivets.

That rear IS brake adaptor, that's not a standard R1 adaptor?

Why no Scrubs?
  • Xgreygoose
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    How did you fit the R1 calipers with the Hope rotors, did you have to file the caliper in order to clear the rivets?

I have just tried this on a friends bike but the caliper rubs on the rivets.

That rear IS brake adaptor, that's not a standard R1 adapter?

Why no Scrubs?

Yes, I had to file the both calipers in order to fit the rotors, but not very much. The X2 hope rotors rivets are bigger than the Formula rotors. I choose these because they look better and 8g lighter. :)
    The rear IS PM mount is custom made and only weights in at 6g!! but spec wise is no different than the R1 adapter.

Waiting for the new Scrubs rotors to come in. Also new weight at 49g!!! :D
    RaceDay_160_-_White-Green.jpg
    RaceDay_160_-_Black-Green.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    I initially thought you had found a way around problem by using custom adaptors then I thought again and realised it wouldn't make any difference anyway as the problem is with the caliper mount.

I recently fitting a pair for a friend but as they're under warranty we didn't fancy filing them......................we thought about filing the rivets though :lol:

I have actually seen the new Scrub disks (not in real life) they look amazing, I just thought you may have had problems with yours. How do you think they would hold up under British conditions, I like the look of them but I'm not sure they would cope and you can only use organic pads? I would cringe using them in muddy conditions.
  • Xgreygoose
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    I thought you had maybe found a way around problem. I was fitting a pair for a friend but as they're under warranty we didn't fancy filing them......................we thought about filing the rivets though :lol:

I have actually seen the new Scrub disks (not in real life) they look amazing, I just thought you may have had problems with yours. How do you think they would hold up under British conditions, I like the look of them but I'm not sure they would cope and you can only use organic pads? I would cringe using them in muddy conditions.

Sorry I made a mistake, I didn't file the calipers but I file the PM mounts. Only my rear caliper had been filed/wore down due to wear from my last rotors (Formula). The rivets "just" touch the caliper but it was enough to wear it down abit.

I think wet conditions and Scrubs are a no, no. I never use my Scrubs and organic pads on wet weather conditions. I mean they would work fine but the pads would wear out far too easy and your bike/rotors would be screaming like a cat on heat!! :lol:
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Xgreygoose
    edited May 2010
    Getting a Recon full titanium 11-32t cassette in gold anodized. Weighs in at 175g :D
    DSC01693.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    Been there 500 mile later she was toast :(
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Yeah not really worth it really.
  • Xgreygoose
    Thanks guys. Guess I will put it on my spare wheel set. Lucky it was abit used. Got it from one of my parts-seller so it wasn't expensive. :)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Xgreygoose
    Picked up a new SRAM 9-speed cassette XG-999. Super smooth shifting and light too :)
    DSC01242.jpg

And some bar-ends
    DSC01400.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    drool.... that is a serioulsy nice bike. :shock: